Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can anyone do smokey eyes?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You know, that smouldery smokey eyes look with dark make up..I want to know how to do it, and the mags explanations ain't cutting it..what's the explanation in lamens terms?

And, what eyeshadow is the best for it..and does eyeliner work as well?

I've tried it, but it looks like someone hit me with a bit of coal!!

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by 1983

I've tried it, but it looks like someone hit me with a bit of coal!!

Yeah, I'm the same :(:p

I think Emma used to do it, took ages though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Yeah, I'm the same :(:p

lmao, you turd :p
  • Options
    umm use a light base eyeshadow and work on top of it with a darker colour

i use white on bottom and dark brown on top - just make sure you fade upwards and from the inner bit of your eye out... works better

do you understand me cause i dont ! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You need a really soft kohl eyeliner..the Miss Selfridge make-up range one is the best I've found. The black one is always sold out in Boots when I go there though so I stock up on them when I find them! The chunky Benefit 'Bad Girl' eyeliner is also good (all the celebs use it apparently... :p ), although it costs about £12 but lasts ages.
    Um eyeshadow-wise, I use bourjois effect lumiere trio eyeshadow thingy which has a black, grey and white palette thing. It's quite good for blending and stuff...
    Can't really explain how you do the smoky eye thing, I tend to use liquid eyeliner on my top lashes with darker eyeshadow along the lashline and at the far edges of the eyes building lighter as you go up away from the eye. You're not meant to use dark eyeshadow on the inside corner of your eyes though. In magazines they sometimes say to wet the eyeshadow and use it as an eyeliner on your bottom lashes..don't do it! It's crap, just use eyeliner and smudge it.
  • Options
    i line my eyes with a number 7 eye pen then put margaret astor eyeshadow in a white glittery colour all over and in the corners of my eyes
    then use christian dior graphite eye shadow very lighty on my lid going from lighter in the corners to darker then using a very thin tiny brush i line it under my eye going into both corners to define the eye shape then i use ruby and millie mascara and get a really long look thick lashes:)

mine looks quite good so ive been told! hope that helpsx
  • Options
    I do this a lot when I go out but I've never tried to explain it to anyone before! I'm going to try now, though, so here's goes:

1) You need a good base so apply a small amount of foundation to your eyelids right up to your eyebrow. Blend it in well. Now dust some powder on the top of that. Now you have 2 layers which the oil on your eyelids has to break through before it can start mucking up your eyeshadow!

2) Start with a paler eyeshadow - grey or brown or whatever you want to use. Blend it in really well. I either do it right up to my eyebrow or I put it just on the eyelid up to the socket line, and then use some reflective dusty stuff up to my eyebrow. I also use a thin brush to put some eyeshadow under my eye so that it looks even.

3) Use a darker shade on your socket line from about half way across, to the outer edge of your eye. Blend it in well (the trick with the whole look is to blend everything in well!) and use some more of the paler colour if necessary, so that it's graduated.

4) Then you can also use an even darker shade along the top of your eyelashes and in the bottom outer corner. Depends how sultry you want to go.

5) Then use your kohl - black is what I use but grey or blue or brown would work too, black is just more striking. It also brings out the white in your eyes. Like Pink Soda said, you need a really soft one preferably so that it glides on and doesn't make your eyes water.

6) Then curl eyelashes if you have poker straight ones like me, and apply lots of mascara.

Phew that's it I think. That's what works for me but experiment and see how it looks best on you. I like doing this with orangey red eyeshadow as the base colour, then with darker red and deep purple as the other two colours.
  • Options
    This is a pic of what I described above, modelled by my sister. She wanted something quite dramatic so she has a big Cleopatra-style flick at the corner of her eye - a bit OTT for every evening maybe, but it looked good on her. Mind you, she's stunning anyway. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I do my smokey eyes like so: (all make up I use is expensive)

1) I use a base coat of white eyeshadow, just ion the lid, and socket.. not further, I also apply a lil bit of white to my bottom lashes...
    2) 'very' roughly line all the way round my eyes with WSeven black Eyeliner (better than ANY eyeliners out there!)
    3) blend with warm fingers very very well... makin sure i blend upwards into the white.

OR:

1) I Use a beige liquid eyeshadow as a base
    2) Using a RUBIE AND MILLIE fine eyeliner brush (expensive but worth it) I dip my eyeliner into a nearly black eyeshadow by TIGI.
    3) pull corner of eye towards ears (in a chinese like fashion) then dab on the eyeshadow as close to the eyeline as possible, if necessary, blend
    4) repeat underneath... just dabbing the eyeshadow on with the flat of the brush.. so you dont get panda eyes...

Thats how I do it...
    Sit down with a mirror, all ya makeup and lots of face wipes...have a fiddle with ya make-up.. thats how i find my own make-up styles!!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    this is my attepmt....
  • Options
    smokey eyes!

im so pro at this! :thumb:
    first-apply eye shadow to your eyelid from your lastes to just past the crease. apply eye shadow to your eyelid from your lashes to just past the crease(drk brown for a natural look or grey for a sleeker look)
    Next-line your eyes with soft liner as close to the lashes as possible..this makes it look clean and makes them pop. :crazyeyes Line your bottom lashes on the inside.
    Next-use the side of your eyeshadow brush(the lil oval shaped kind) to apply black(or any dark color) to your lash line. Go just past the outside corner of your eye. Make it as thick as you want but not your whole eye cuz you'll look like a racoon.
    Then-with the same part of your brush, apply black shadow to the ceae of your eye...but just from the outer corner to the center of the crease. Then kind of blend it together with the clean side of your brush.
    Then-put a little bit of black shodow on your lower lash line to finish the effect
    Last-step back from the mirror every once in a while to make sure your doin it evenly. Apply Black Mascara!
    Ta-da! Sexy and smokey eyes! :love:
    ****Tip****use some kind of eye primer to make your eye shadow stay put. But not the first time you do it...Wait until you've had some practice so its easy to take off if you mess up. I use Mary Kay Eye Primer.
    Email me if you have Questions or want an illustration. SunKist2993@aol.com
    Love always, Cas!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Old.
  • Options

*****Tip***** Don't post on such old threads! She doesn't care anymore, she's probably a pro at smoky eyes now!

And 'love always'? You don't even know us!
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    *****Tip***** Don't post on such old threads! She doesn't care anymore, she's probably a pro at smoky eyes now!

And 'love always'? You don't even know us!
    i was thinking that, she has smokey type eyes in her av anyway :chin: