Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

AIDS and Confidentiality

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    In general, a person in Britain has no excuse in not knowing that sex without contraception can lead to acquiring AIDS.
    You kind of dont expect it from your husband or wife though do you. its hardly reckless behaviour to have unprotected sex with someone you are married to.
  • Options
    In general, a person in Britain has no excuse in not knowing that sex without contraception can lead to acquiring AIDS. [/B]

Your talking out of your A**E mate !!!

Take me I do not want any more children, I have been sterilised. I dont need to use condoms because I have only one sexual partner which is my hubby.
    So if my hubby like this fella decided not to tell me that he has H.I.V and then HE knowingly has sex with me and passes it onto me then thats my fault and I deserve all I get?

Gawd wake up to the real world !!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Take me I do not want any more children, I have been sterilised. I dont need to use condoms because I have only one sexual partner which is my hubby.
    So if my hubby like this fella decided not to tell me that he has H.I.V and then HE knowingly has sex with me and passes it onto me then thats my fault and I deserve all I get?

Yes you do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    they are both life-threatening

It is estimated that there are currently 50,000 people living with HIV in the UK

Since the widespread introduction of more effective HIV treatments in 1996, the number of HIV associated deaths has dropped dramatically: in 2001 there were 235 deaths reported compared with 1,516 in 1995

(from http://www.tht.org.uk/hiv_info/stats.htm)

from this I would ascertain that HIV is not/does not have to be life threatening
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    They can use their status positively by educating and warning other people, they've got to be the most influential people in the fight against the spread of HIV.

this is a fair point, but the act of public disclosure is a massive step for someone to take.

As the recent HIV campaign said - its only when people know your HIV+ve that you find out from them how sick you really are.
  • Options
    Yes you do.

You tell me WHY ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    from this I would ascertain that HIV is not/does not have to be life threatening

Does not have to be, but CAN be, there is a risk.
  • Options
    Does not have to be, but CAN be, there is a risk.

along with about a zillion other diseases

obviously there are risks

the point I am makeing is that for 50 000 people infected only 250 die a year from HIV related complications - that is a 0.5% death rate from HIV, so yes it CAN be, but no more than (and probably less) than loads of other diseases
  • Options
    Monocrat your views sometimes surprise me, but your statement about sufferers of AIDS "deserving it" is the lowest of the fucking low.

It's not just newborn babies whose mothers are HIV+, haemophiliacs who got it through a blood transfusion or others. No one "deserves" to catch HIV, whether it is through sexual intercourse, drug use or other.

Have anyone of your family died of cancer? If so, I'll put it to you they got what they deserved, for not eating 5 pieces of fruits and vegs a day, for smoking, for enjoying a glass of wine, for sunbathing too much, for not going for medical check-ups regularly enough. How do you like that?

What the hell is wrong with you???
  • Options
    obviously there are risks

Yes, as with anything there are risks.
    You can die from it even if the figures are correct 250 people out of 50,000, it does not sound that many but if 250 people have been infected by this disease because they werent told that their partner was H.I.V then someone is not doing their job properly.

If I go to my doctor along with my hubby because one of us fears we may have a S.T.D, he is looking after both our interests. He is my doctor so if he knows that I am at risk of being infected with H.I.V then I think it is his duty to tell me.

Lets look at this another way.
    If in my family several female members have had breast cancer, my Grandmother and Mother died from it (hypothetically). I would be screened from an early age and keep having annual breast screening to check if there were any changes in me, to catch it before it spreads. The doctors know that it is highly likely that it could pass down to myself, so thats why I get screened because I am at a higher risk of having breast cancer.
    So if we take this fella his doctor knew that he had a disease that could be transferred to the fellas partner, the wife had been for a S.T.D test which obviously shows that she was concerned for her health. When the doctor seen the results of both his patients I feel it was his duty to tell the woman she was at risk of catching this disease by having unprotected sex.
    I also feel that the fella should be charged with an offence of having sex with another person when he knew he had this disease, which could be life threatening to the person he had sex with.
  • Options
    Yes you do.
    Oh well hes obviously trying to wind people up, Im sure nobody in real life actually thinks like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Oh well hes obviously trying to wind people up

Nah not really Rainbow, he's just showing how pathetic he is. He is coming out with statements and can't back it up. His reply consists of "yes you do", to me it just shows me we are talking to an idiot.
  • Options
    don't want to repeat myself too much

the figure are accurate (public health service)

a doctor keeping confidentiallity is "doing his job properly"

If someone knowingly sleeps with someone when they have any STD it is wrong. but this is the individual, not the doctor's fault.

I don't follow you breast cancer senario, how would your doctor know about family history - is this becasue when you registered you are aked to give a family medical history?

it is the perosn who's infected responsibility to tell his partner - not his doctor, and as the husband didn't as you (becky) say he should be charged - not the doctor.
  • Options
    Its very mixed up. On one hand doctors have a duty to try and save lives, on the other hand they are prevented from saving someone elses life because they arent allowed to inform someone that shes about to get infected with a deadly disease.
    I guess it depends on what you value more - your job or someones elses life.
  • Options
    Re: don't want to repeat myself too much
    I don't follow you breast cancer senario, how would your doctor know about family history - is this becasue when you registered you are aked to give a family medical history?

Sorry im still not very good at explaining things very well, bear with me lol.

Right if someone in my family has had breast cancer we know that the other females in the family are at a high risk of also having the same, so they get screened annually. With H.I.V we know that if you have it and sleep with someone without using protection then it is also highly likely that you will catch this disease. So what im saying is that when this couple went to see the doctor initially to get tested for S.T.D's they went as a family in effect, so then the doctor knowing that this fella actually has contracted H.I.V he should have told his other patient (the wife) that she also could catch this life threatening disease, if she had sex without protection.

Hope you can understand that a bit better.
  • Options
    Re: don't want to repeat myself too much

it is the perosn who's infected responsibility to tell his partner - not his doctor, and as the husband didn't as you (becky) say he should be charged - not the doctor. [/B]

Yes thank you for pointing that out ;)

But even if he is charged the wife could in the future die because she was not informed by the medical profession that her partner could pass on a higly infectious disease.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Oh well hes obviously trying to wind people up, Im sure nobody in real life actually thinks like that.

People can 'think' any way they choose.
  • Options
    Becky
    I think they had different doctors, had it have been the same doctor, then perhaps it would have been easier for the doc to say something.

although I still defend patient confidentiality

we don't know all the facts

they got engaged and then had tests, should they have done this right at the begining of the relationship?

I think I am having a thick morning, I'm still not following your analogy with breast cancer screening, but don't stress over it, as I said on page 2

yes in relaity I would want to see as little harm done as possible and would work every means possible to make sure the partner wasn't infected, breaking their confidence would have to be the very last resort
  • Options
    I think I am having a thick morning, I'm still not following your analogy with breast cancer screening, but don't stress over it, as I said on page 2

Its probably me, I know what I mean I just have to learn how to write so everyone else will know what I mean.

Wheres MOK, he will be able to translate my post lol.

Your right though, we do not have the full facts. I can understand why the wife would have taken it to court.

Anyway does that mean others will be able to follow suit?
    and will there be a legal loophole to make it so the doctors have to disclose information to patiens partners if they are at risk of catching something like this from their partner?
  • Options

Anyway does that mean others will be able to follow suit?
    and will there be a legal loophole to make it so the doctors have to disclose information to patiens partners if they are at risk of catching something like this from their partner?

Seems there could be and I don't see why not.........

Mono I came on here for my last hour before the summer hols to have a nice debate and i am forced to read this drivle, you really are an idiot..........:mad:
  • Options
    i was just ignoring him...

this case does set a precident, which will no doubt casue lots of heated debate :D

in prinicple I think its wrong, but perhaps in certain circumstances it would be okay...

Toadborg have a great holiday :)
  • Options
    Cheers, I'm still here for another 45 minutes though..............:)
  • Options
    I would love to stay around this am but unfortunalty I am meant to be writting a report for the Depaertment of Health, and really should focus on that.
    :(
  • Options
    People in Africa knowingly have sex with no contraception. A simple 'mistake' is not relevant here.

But those in Africa generally possess no information regarding HIV. In the UK, MOST should know the dangers of the disease and how to contract it. The government have been delivering the message for almost twenty years!!! In general, a person in Britain has no excuse in not knowing that sex without contraception can lead to acquiring AIDS.

Yes, most. Not everyone in this country has access to equal education. If I remember from my sex education classes the issue of STDs was only touched upon. I've seen no billboards, posters etc. with messages about contraception on and the risk of STDs. I know in this country there is more exposure to the risks, but you cannot say that anyone with HIV or AIDS deserves to die. Like Aladdin pointed out babies can contract if from the mother, do they deserve it? I think not. I personally really disagree with not using condoms, I actually lecture my friends about it, but I don't think anyone deserves HIV or AIDS. No-one.

Argh this has got me all stressed and I don't need stress before my exams.

Have a good holiday Toadborg. It's alright for some. :)
  • Options
    Mmmmmm its not a holiday as such....

It is a university holiday so basically i am going to Leicester and I have to get a job.......:(

I have a real holiday in August though :)

I also agree with you.........:)
  • Options
    Still better than having three weeks of exams. Yeah, I have to work all summer too and then off to uni. Well have a good one and don't forget to pop in here because I agree with the majority of what you say. :)

We need a discussion about the AIDS pandemic and pharmaceutical companies methinks
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Monocrat your views sometimes surprise me, but your statement about sufferers of AIDS "deserving it" is the lowest of the fucking low.

It's not just newborn babies whose mothers are HIV+, haemophiliacs who got it through a blood transfusion or others. No one "deserves" to catch HIV, whether it is through sexual intercourse, drug use or other.

Have anyone of your family died of cancer? If so, I'll put it to you they got what they deserved, for not eating 5 pieces of fruits and vegs a day, for smoking, for enjoying a glass of wine, for sunbathing too much, for not going for medical check-ups regularly enough. How do you like that?

What the hell is wrong with you???

I simply possess no sympathy for AIDS sufferers. Cancer may not always be self-inflicted but (for the large part) HIV/AIDS is.
  • Options
    But as we have mentioned you don't know it was 'self-inflicted' so yuo can't make broad judgements until you know an individuals story. That kind of generalsiation is what has pissed people off...........
  • Options
    Sympathy is lessened for people whose conditions are self-inflicted, but to say they actually deserve it is just really callous.
  • Options
    Are there any statistics which state how a person contracts AIDS?

If so, do the majority acquire it from reckless behaviour or a means that is not self-inflicted?
  • Options
    It doesn't matter does it?

If statistics showed that 50.01% of white people were rascist it would be wrong to treat them all as rascist simply because the majority were, use your fucking brain...........