Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"This is not a war against Muslims or the Arab world..."

... is something we have had to hear from Dubya in many occasions, as he talked of "crusades" and "terrorists" and embarked in bombing campaigns in the Middle East (two down, two to go).

So what the US government is doing now is deporting 13,000 Muslims and Arabs after they fully co-operated in the witch-hunt that followed the 9/11 attacks.

There are several ways to read this. One of them is that this is yet another racist, knee-jerk and imbecile move by the US administration.

I'd be especially interested in knowing pnj's opinion on this, since he's been constantly talking about Bush working to "improve relations with the Arab and Muslim world and turn them against anger and terrorism directed at the US".

Well I must say Bush has a very funny way of improving relations with the Arab world. :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :banghead:

I wonder what Blair will say about it?

I am beginning to get the impression that the US administration is genuinely run by incompetent idiots, I thought there wree some intelligent people behind the scenes but maybe I was wrong........
  • Options
    genuinely run by incompetent idiots

Complete "fascists" is more to the point!
  • Options
    true, too true.............:(
  • Options
    Weird
    The vast bulk of those facing deportation proceedings were found to have lapses in their immigration status. By co-operating fully with the demand to register, many had hoped to be treated leniently.

It seems to me that they're just deporting those who would have been deported if the authorities had known sooner. Yeah, it's harsh, racist, and punishing those who want to remain in America, but doesn't seem that illegal to me. Just incredibly unfair.
  • Options
    I never said it was illegal, but like you said it is extremely unfair, as well as racist and many other things. I would imagine the number of illegal immigrants from Mexico can be counted in their hundreds of thousands at least, but they provide cheap labour for restaurants and farms so all is well. No hurry for the Immigration Services to kick them out. Not that I believe they or anyone else should be kicked out, mind.
  • Options
    I notice also that many immigranst are going 'underground' to escape the immigration services and the subsequent deportation.

Surely a counterproductive security measure? (apart from the added resentment)