Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gaining Weight/Getting "Buff"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

Before I start I'd like to point out that I was unsure which forum to post this, so you may see it in another :) That is all.

Ok, let me begin.

I am 15 years old, 16 in July. My confidence is...ankel high already because of acne on my chest and back, a failed relationship, depression and so on. Anyway, I know that I am really skinny. Which is a problem to me; I want to put weight on to look healthy, but not look fat (which is why I'd like to work out).

I'm 6'1" tall and.... 9 stone 8 (137lbs).

I know i could suddenly pack on the pounds in a year or so, due to puberty and all, but a gentle push wouldn't hurt, right?

So let's review - I eat 3 meals a day most of which is junky. I always eat vegetables for my dinner, and most of my meals are well balanced. It's just the snacks inbetween which aren't. I've always wondered why I was able to pig out and not gain any weight. I stumbled across some website - stating that it could be my metabolism.

So, with that in mind, what can I do to increase my weight? Before I start any serious workout to turn the fat into toned muscle I would like to just gain some weight - maybe hide my rib cage and so forth!

Any suggestions on what to eat, how much I should eat and how frequently etc? It'd be much appreciated!

Now to clarify the "Buff" part of the topic title.

As I stated, I do not wish to become podgy and so keeping fit would be great. I'm already doing 90 crunches per day and attempting the "Dirty Dozen" pushups - aswell as free weights.

Now, if I were to gain weight, I'd like to beable to keep it more or less controlled - are there any gentle workouts I could start now and continue as I (hopefully) pack on the pounds?

My health is important to me, I'm healthy in my opinion, but not as much as when I played alot of sport (injury meant I had to give up sport).

The "Dirty Dozen" pushup set, for those who are wondering, consits of doing one pushup, standing up and walking around for a few seconds, then doing two pushups, getting up and walking around, then three pushups all the way up to twelve. So far I have to stop at seven pushups (my 28th) because my wrists really hurt. They get so sore, like I'm pushing my wrist bone down into my hand. I know that sounds crazy, but it's the best way to describe it!

Oh, before I forget, what about meal replacement powder/tablets etc? Due to my medication (I have acne tablets meaning i have to plan meals around them) it seems a little awkward to get another meal in -- would this help in anyway?

Well, that's me done. Sorry about the informalities but it is just past midnight and I have two GCSE exams tomorrow - and I am feeling a bit under the weather due to hayfever and a runny nose. Not that you wanted, or needed to know that.

Cheers guys, any help and advise is appreciated!

Xila

Comments

• Options
    Have you had your thyroid glands checked out?

You sound well underweight for someone your height. Maybe you just burn calories really quickly before it has a chance to add to your muscle and fat deposits?
  • Options
    What would my thyroids be playing in all of this..?
  • Options
    Look here . There should be enough information here to set you on your way, and this guy really seems to know what he`s talking about.
  • Options
    Miffy - That site appears to be more of a sellout for a product, and £40 or so pounds for the whole set...well...no. Not yet anyway.

Thanks for the link though, it gives me hope!:)
  • Options
    My boyfriend's brother used to eat a meal and then afterwards have a slimfast shake. Sounds daft but in reality you're having two meals in one go instead of just one as slimfast is a meal replacement drink. I'm not sure if this kinda plan would be ok for you as he was body building and going to the gym everyday. It worked for him so why not give it a go?
    Also, you can buy powder from health food shops designed to make you put on weight. I don't know if these work or are safe so it's best to look around the internet for advice.

Hope that helped :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Xila
    Miffy - That site appears to be more of a sellout for a product, and £40 or so pounds for the whole set...well...no. Not yet anyway.

Thanks for the link though, it gives me hope!:)

Er, yes and no. He does have a product to sell, but there is MORE than enough free information there to get you started. I promise.
  • Options
    ide go and talk to your gp pal or go to gym and talk to a fitness instructor(if you have the cash) they can do assessments on you and make up a plan for you.
    best of luck x:thumb:
  • Options
    I'm off to the GP tomorrow anyway (more medication) so will ask then.

I like that Slimfast idea, it's alwaysworth a try :)

Cheers all!

I guess i should introduce myself now, eh?
  • Options
    Ye my boyf done the slimfast and the meal thingy and he went 2 the gym twice a week to make sure it was muscle not fat. But ye the gym instructors can give you a whole plan which would be very useful if you kept to it!

Best of luck p.s. Hello an welcome:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Xila
    What would my thyroids be playing in all of this..?

It affects your metabolism, i know i have an underactive one. (Which can make you put on weight).
  • Options
    wow this is actually really helpful dudes! i never thought of posting about it but im 6'4" and 10 stone which i think is underweight, my waist is a size 30 max and i eat like a horse, i have 3 meals and eat shite loads of junk food!
    ill have to try out some of these ideas.
    cheers

Dan
  • Options
    Woo hoo I have gained 2 lbs :p

I might need to add more food to my diet because i've stopped adding weight...But I think I may import some Whey because in this house...we have no food. Haha!

Mmm Tuna. Didn't think of that!

Well here's the diet I am on currently:

Breakfast : Large bowel of cereal, no sugar and in milk. Accompanied by 2 tall glasses of water.

Luch: Could be two bacon sarnies (4 white slices, thin butter amount, ketchup and 4 bacon rahsers), pot noodles and sandwhiches (meat/marmite), and I'll also eat meat like sausage rolls, sliced ham etc. 1 tall glass of water.

Dinner : Usually vegetables and pasta/potato. 1 glass of water and 1 glass of squash.

Snacks : If i eat anything other than my main courses it will be : 2CM slice of chedder cheese, another large bowl of cereal, slices of meat, sausage sandwhich and ketchup, peanuts and cak bars i.e. Go Ahead.

Other drink: Half a glass/One tall glass of milk, lots of tall glasses of water, one (or not even that) glass of juice.

Bad food: A chocolate bar, or packet of crisps. Or Pizza. I killed my mum for giving me half a pizza to eat :(

Workout:

Monday: Jog and push-ups
    Tuesday: Crunches
    Wednesday: Weights
    Thursday: Squats
    Friday: Jog and random (I take a pack of cards and draw from radom = 1 is Monday, 2 is Tuesday and so on. If it is a face card, I pick my favourite).
    Weekend : Rest

What I Plan To Add:

Foodwise : More meat, more noodles, more cheese.
    Drinkwise : Increase water intake and drink one glass of milk per day

Substance: I do like the Slim Fast vanilla drink...but alas I can not afford them :( However I'll try importing some Whey to add to my drinks. This would give me protein and carbo's and account for one meal. I would keep eating but add Whey too.
  • Options
    You are 15 and still growing, I'd suggest that you speak to a fitness instructer - try your leisure centre or local gym, so that you do this safely rather than causing yourself any damage.

Susie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    You are 15 and still growing, I'd suggest that you speak to a fitness instructer - try your leisure centre or local gym, so that you do this safely rather than causing yourself any damage.

Susie :)

Yeah I'll do that - the people from the body building website said it shouldn't do much damage to me because quite a few of them were like me - it's all the metabolic rate etc.

My mum is also not too keen on the idea because she thinks I will shoot out like a rocket but I'm planning on keeping it light :)

Still, better safe than sorry! Cheers Susie *Hugs*