Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

im confused

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im no expert at politics but why is it parties seek to please the upper middle class when there are more lower/working class people! its always confused me

is it me or is the only reason they seek support of rich people so they get more money for campaigning?

Comments

• Options
    That is a possible factor.

I think there are a lot more middle-class voters than in previous generations.

Also I think it is shown statistically that the middle-classes are more likely to be 'swing voters'. Labour in particular consider themselves very safe in most of the working class areas and the Tories are very safe in many lower middle-class areas..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Also I think it is shown statistically that the middle-classes are more likely to be 'swing voters'. Labour in particular consider themselves very safe in most of the working class areas and the Tories are very safe in many lower middle-class areas.......... [/B]

Do you not think the times are changing now? I feel that maybe they are not as *safe* as they would like to think.
  • Options
    I do think that. Very soon New Labour may have to change their policy base back towards a 'lower' teir of society as the working class becomes increasingly disaffected.......

The Tories were complacent and they lost a mssive chunk of their base to New labour in 97.............
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I do think that.

you agreed with me :hyper:
  • Options
    Re: im confused
    Originally posted by LonDoNErcHriS85
    im no expert at politics but why is it parties seek to please the upper middle class when there are more lower/working class people! its always confused me

is it me or is the only reason they seek support of rich people so they get more money for campaigning?

Most psephologists ( ,i.e. those who study voting behaviour) feel that class plays a smaller role in contemporary voting behaviour (certainly not to the extent it did 30-50 years ago).

It may have been true in the past that large sections of the working class voted Labour in the past. Even still some members of the working class voted Conservative out of deference to those whom they felt were better educated.
  • Options
    Re: im confused
    Originally posted by LonDoNErcHriS85

Because the working class is split now between the north and south. Traditional, unionised workers in the north and Scotland vote in he same way they always have done but the increasingly affluent working class in the south have changed dramatically, many of them have so much income they are now attracted to the low-taxation tories. So there are fewer traditional working class.

Also, the bulk of england is still white collar, middle earning, semi-proffessionals. This silent majority is what any goverment has to win the support of to govern.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    you agreed with me :hyper:
    :)