Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Full Physical

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there such a thing as a full physical in the UK?

I hear the term a lot in US movies and TV but never known anyone in the UK actualy book themselves in for a full physical and have their blood, heart, fitness, etc, etc all tested

I seems a good idea to me, afterall we have to take our cars in once a year after they are more then 3 years old to be checked and men espacially don't have in place many regular checking procedures.

How do you go about getting one - is it a BUPA or PPP job?

Comments

• Options
    hmm i dont know if they do them- i know come companies want them for their employees...

i doubt theyd ever do it on the nhs, imagine that, a people 'MOT' once a year for everyone- itd cost loads!!!:)

yeah they probably do it privately on bupa or whatever
  • Options
    I dont want a full medical........Id be sent to the knackers yard :lol:
  • Options
    two words ... yes please :lol:
  • Options
    i think if you are ill quite a bit then the doc can refer you for a full medical other than that you will probaly have to go private. you are keen now but do you know all it involves?
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    i think if you are ill quite a bit then the doc can refer you for a full medical other than that you will probaly have to go private. you are keen now but do you know all it involves?

No, but i'd quite like to... anyone know?
  • Options
    I think it would be a good idea and something I'd certainly pay for. I paid £36 for my car to be MOT and I already knew it was in perfect health cos it only had 5,000 miles on the clock!!

Why not do it as a way to raise money for the NHS?

I would be willing to pay something like £50 to £100 a year and go in and have weight checked, blood pressure, xrays, full blood work, etc, etc.

With things like cancers or diabetes it's far better to catch these things early. And yet most of these aren't detected until it's big enough to feel or spread - or in the case of diabetes cause blindness.

If you don't have your health you have nothing. My grandmother spent most of her adult life on crutches because of arthritis - I - she died in her 50's having spent most of her adult life in constant pain.

For something like £100 a year the peace of mind it would buy me is money well spent and if something is wrong then the early warning could be a life saver.

I think rich people have this done a lot cos they have life insurance policies and stuff like that but why not everyone. Men espacially miss out on any kind of regular checks - the government always do more of these kind of things for women then men - like smear tests and breast checks - I have no idea if there's even one single regular test for men?
  • Options
    I don't know if Bupa and PP do them but I doubt if most people would be willing to go to them anyway - because if you do find something wrong - don't it mean they won't cover you on it?

Same thing with travel insurance - if you find out you have a heart problem before travelling they won't cover you but if you didn't know beforehand then you're covered if you have a heart attack.

Companies are almost rewarding you to not be informed and penalising you if you do take steps to find out more about your health - this can't be right?
  • Options
    you are correct there diamond geezer. me and my bro cant join bupa cos we are diabetic and my mum neither cos of an exsisting medical condition, its so stoopid as you are paying for the treatment any way!
    same with travel insurance, with usual travel insurance i can get covered for anything except anything related to my diabetes, carazee!!
  • Options
    Problem is though, x-rays are not used unless the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. X-rays by their nature, damage cells and unless the Doctor suspects a broken arm or something, then you wouldn't get one. As for MRI and CAT - well they're expensive to use anyway.

I think they'd be more likely to check your blood (pressure and sampling of it) and your weight as well as your basic fitness and strength.

My Dad has an annual one for work and that's basically what they do.

When I get a full time job, I think I might go for a medical - I have one too many joints that are creaking and hurting and I'm nearly 22!
  • Options
    you are correct there diamond geezer. me and my bro cant join bupa cos we are diabetic and my mum neither cos of an exsisting medical condition, its so stoopid as you are paying for the treatment any way!
    same with travel insurance, with usual travel insurance i can get covered for anything except anything related to my diabetes, carazee!!

Bupa are advertsing that you pay a personal rate now - not a standard rate - I reckon this is a con cos the more you'd most likely need their help - the most you'd pay cos you're a bigger risk to them.

I had my tonsils removed under Bupa when I was little but only cos the NHS Consultant refused to do it .. funny thing was the Bupa consult that removed them was the same fellow!! :eek2:
  • Options
    makes you laugh dont it, same happened to my dad. he had bother with his knee and had to wait 6 months to get treatment after a consultation on the nhs so he went private to get the treatment and again the bupa doc was the one he was supposed to see on the nhs!?!!?
  • Options
    makes you laugh dont it, same happened to my dad. he had bother with his knee and had to wait 6 months to get treatment after a consultation on the nhs so he went private to get the treatment and again the bupa doc was the one he was supposed to see on the nhs!?!!?

Really I thought my case must have just been coincedence I wonder if the doctors ask before hand if you have Bupa cover or something.