Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student Bank Accounts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey,
I opened a Natwest account ages ago and got a £250 overdraft. Anyway I can now not extend it as I havent paid enough in which to be fair I havent. However people I know took out £1250 overdraft straight away without paying in a penny which I didnt realise you could do.........

Anyway I was just wondering what accounts everyone in here has and what overdraft limits? Did you have to pay anything in to get an overdraft agreed at all?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    my overdraft with natwest started at £500 but i can only up it by £250 each year and no more so its at £750 now. I've got mates who's are £1250 coz they started off with high ones
  • Options
    With regards to your Natwest account, when you open it you agree to pay all of your student loan into that account. Did you do this? If you didn't then they are within their rights to refuse you an extension on your overdraft!

Did you have an account with them before you opened a student account?

I have Natwest and like you my overdraft limit began at £250 and I increased it slowly to £750 to cope with the times when my money was running out. However, I had a lot of money going in and also wages.
  • Options
    If it is a Student Account, then you agree to pay your student loan into that account, so if you do not you are breaking the terms of your account. It is illegal to have more than one student account, as far as I am aware.

It is also true that just because you are a student does not mean it is a Student Account. The NatWest Student Account has an immediate overdraft available of £1250, but otehrs do not. Is it actually a student account, or merely a current account?
  • Options
    i have a clydesdale bank i dont have a over draft and i've got like £80 left for the summer ...man thats gonna be interesting
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    With regards to your Natwest account, when you open it you agree to pay all of your student loan into that account. Did you do this? If you didn't then they are within their rights to refuse you an extension on your overdraft!

Did you have an account with them before you opened a student account?

I have Natwest and like you my overdraft limit began at £250 and I increased it slowly to £750 to cope with the times when my money was running out. However, I had a lot of money going in and also wages.

Natwest: i work for them.

Current account wise they'll give you at least £200 when you intially open if you're over 18.
    Student Account you get up to £1250 but depends on credit number-it's a secret to customer but i KNOW!!! If say you're using a current accoutn overdraft you might not get as much or you're not paying into the account.

Anything else required???????????? Just yell!
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    i opened a natwest account and they gave me £60 and a £1250 overdraft immediately.

i think something's gone wrong in your case - go back and talk to them, and make sure that it's a student account.
    And thats the only reason i opened mine. Ive not done anything with it since.