Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Black boxes in cars?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just as there are recording devices in airliners that record both actions the piolets have taken and instrumentation and mechanical devices in the plane, there is a proposal to have black boxes installed in cars.

Upside, if there was a defect in a model vehicle, it could be found out fast through precise recordings.

Downside, the government has installed a device that will record exactly how you were driving...including exceeding speed limits, where you went, at least in what direction and more.

I want your opinion.

:no:

:yes: you must.

Comments

• Options
    Well the police can track where you are going in a car through cameras and through air surveillance so that is ntohing particularly new, what is the need for it exactly? Would it improve safety?

I think the car that doens't allow you to speed sounds like a more worthwhile invention..........
  • Options
    Wouldnt sell very well on the continent thats for sure, especially in Germany. lol.

Nothing like opening it up on the Bavarian autobahn!
  • Options
    But aren't I correct in saying they don't actually have speed limit? That means the computer wouldn't limit the car..............:)
  • Options
    We don't have as many cameras as the UK does TB. I think you installed a lot of that to keep track of the IRA.

I think it would analyze everything including the driver but not limit what the driver does. In lawsuit happy America, it would give lawyers more to go on. On the news it was presented as, perhaps, another attack on privacy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    We don't have as many cameras as the UK does TB. I think you installed a lot of that to keep track of the IRA.

yes but I can drive the 250 miles to london and see two police cars.
    When I was in the US last I remember seeing police cars everywhere - like every 1/2 mile.
  • Options
    yes that also and also the fact that the IRA have been on ceasefire since summer 1997, and the real republican threat comes from the RIRA and CIRA, i thought an intelligent political person like u wud've known that
  • Options
    seeing police cars everywhere - like every 1/2 mile.

That's true but what I'm saying is the black box would track you...the police only track you if they are after you.

Turlough I speaking as to why the cameas were put in place in the first place. Not what they're used for today. And my point wasn't to knock the UK.