Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why do I have to have a boyfriend?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it that everyone seems to think that you have to have a boyf/girlf? Every time I go out my family says "You found a boyfriend yet?"......what if I dont want one?!

People seem to think you're a freak if you don't have one, especially at my age, but why? Is it impossible for people to be single and happy?!

sorry, is doing my head in! lol

Comments

• Options
    Re: Why do I have to have a boyfriend?

They just care for you.

It's a state-of-mind. If you're happy and confident being single, then it wouldn't really be an issue. So are you happy and confident being single? ;)
  • Options
    * reminds me of Bridget Jones *

Yeah it is deffinatly possible for people to be single & happy! I am :D
  • Options
    Re: Why do I have to have a boyfriend?
    Originally posted by Faith
    Why is it that everyone seems to think that you have to have a boyf/girlf? Every time I go out my family says "You found a boyfriend yet
    I think it's a family thing... parents want you to 'settle down', however old you are. Your friends don't think the same, do they?
  • Options
    I am happy, not saying I'd be unhappy with a boyf, but I'm definately not unhappy at the mo! I just want to be able to go out and enjoy myself without thinking that I have a load of pressure on me to find a man!! lol I've been in a relationship for the past 3 years and I just would like to be able to have some time on my own for a bit without everyone acting like there's something wrong with me cos I dont have a blokie! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Why do I have to have a boyfriend?
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Your friends don't think the same, do they?

Well yeah they do to be honest! Most of them are in relationships and everytime I've been out always say 'Did you meet anyone nice?' etc. If I'd been single for ages I wouldnt mind so much, but 2 months! :yeees: Can't I just snog a few random men with no meaning behind it instead of finding a partner?!
  • Options
    Aww, that's just silly :rolleyes:

It could just be that they're used to knowing you in a relationship, and they're also having to get used to the change! Maybe they thought you were happy while you were still with your boyfriend, so they think something must be wrong now you're not. How long's it been, a month or two? Maybe they'll get better given time, if they realise you're actually quite happy.

...did that make sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I don't really know what to say, most of my friends are single and fairly happy like that! I'd never say to them that they *should* be in a relationship.
  • Options
    At the end of the day you don't need a partner to be happy. You should do what makes you happy. There will most likely come a time when you will be with someone so don't worry. I don't think you are a freak to not have a boyfriend or want one just yet. There are loads of people without partners out there and do they mind no they don't. You shouldn't feel pressurised by others into having a boyfriend. These people you are talking about only want the best for you and therefore think the best = having a boyfriend well they are wrong. Whats best is health and happiness.
  • Options
    bring home a tramp, and say "mum, dad meet rodney...my new boyfriend!"
    i'm sure that'll make them think otherwise next time!

(has to be a really dirty tramp with a massive beard and his big toe stickin out his boots he fished out of a pond)

if that don't work, tell em all to fuck off!
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    bring home a tramp, and say "mum, dad meet rodney...my new boyfriend!"
    i'm sure that'll make them think otherwise next time!

(has to be a really dirty tramp with a massive beard and his big toe stickin out his boots he fished out of a pond)

if that don't work, tell em all to fuck off!

:lol::lol:

My parents are always asking my brother if he's found himself a girlfriend yet. He's 24. Then my mum's friend saw him with this gal downtown and for two months after she kept asking him to tell them more about their new "daughter-in-law". :lol:
    I personally don't see why parents always have to try to urge you to get into a relationship. I don't plan to and right now I'm perfectly fine. What's wrong with one night stands anyway? :D:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    :lol::lol:

My parents are always asking my brother if he's found himself a girlfriend yet. He's 24. Then my mum's friend saw him with this gal downtown and for two months after she kept asking him to tell them more about their new "daughter-in-law". :lol:

lol awww bless! :p
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Re: Re: Why do I have to have a boyfriend?
    Originally posted by Faith
    Can't I just snog a few random men with no meaning behind it instead of finding a partner?!

You whore :p I did expect it.

Perhaps next time you see them you should say: "no mum/gran/strange-aunt-I've-never-seen-before its girlfriend actually" :)
  • Options
    I get asked this ALL the time by my family.

I just reply saying 'no but i have a girlfriend' and walk out. :D