Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

is there realy any point in asking ...YOU?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
SHOULD WE JOIN THE EURO? well?
having a referendum is democracy gone to far.
both sides appear to be right.
therefore they could both be wrong.
i'm not qualified to vote on such a complex issue as economics.
are any of you?
how much of it do you understand?

IF THIS BELONGS IN POLITICS ...
then why are they asking YOU lot for your opinion on such a complex matter?

Comments

• Options
    rather join europe than america, but im not bothered about the euro. if it works, and it makes the BNP pissed off, then go for it
  • Options
    Economics aside I'd just like to say that Euros contain more nickel than the coins we have now and nickel gives me a rash (as I discovered while in Ireland last year) and until they sort that out I don't want it...

Otherwise...I think we are all too obsessed with keeping our national identity and perhaps we all need to find out a little bit more about the real problems of a federal currency!!
  • Options
    can't we have a bigger identity?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    can't we have a bigger identity?

No. We already seem to have a crisis with a small one!
  • Options
    Does nobody hope that it will bring us closer to our comrades on the continent? YES! YES! YES!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Economics aside I'd just like to say that Euros contain more nickel than the coins we have now and nickel gives me a rash (as I discovered while in Ireland last year) and until they sort that out I don't want it...

Otherwise...I think we are all too obsessed with keeping our national identity and perhaps we all need to find out a little bit more about the real problems of a federal currency!!

is that why i've had a freaky rash on my hands for the past year and five months? i thought it was the washing powder....:confused:

the euro's grand....don't have all those big 2p coins weighing you down. although you do have the annoying tiny 1 cent ones.....
  • Options
    People are scared of maths....And nickel!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I know very little about economics, I just have a feeling that it's not good, and might lead to things that I'm sure are not right.

Maybe I'm wrong.
    that J seems to just about sum up the situation with the general public. thats why i think this referendum is complete bollox. how are WE supposed to have any understanding beyond sentiment? the fors and againsts are going to have a field day or a friggin nightmare trying to convince us. this is why this very important topic DOES NOT BELONG IN POLITICS.
  • Options
    can you trust a government that is going to ask ME ...about one of the most important economic decisions ever?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ajshep1984
    Just say no!
    is that as in no don't trust mr roll?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ajshep1984
    Just say no!
    yeah right ...all the kids will be smoking it now!
  • Options
    say yes to the euro.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black Hole Sun
    rather join europe than america, but im not bothered about the euro. if it works, and it makes the BNP pissed off, then go for it

:yes:

not that i really understand the ins-and-outs of it all.... id stil say bugger off euro though, if it aint broke dont try and fix it!

bloody fecking spelling
  • Options
    Yes, we should join the Euro. Yes yes yes :yes: :yes: :yes:

When is the referendum? Sorry, have been out of the country, am v ignorant.
  • Options
    being in the euro would surely make war in europe impossible ever again. good thing seeing as the biggest wars ever fought were european.
    but when it came to investing money ...in what way would one place apeal more than another if our economics were identical?
    i don't know these things but they're asking ME!
    thats why this referendum idea seems stupid.
  • Options
    just noticed they moved this from anything goes. the WHOLE point of putting it in there you bozo's was because this referendum is about asking people who know little about politics and even less about economics! the title of the thread is ...'is there realy any point in asking ...YOU?
    well there IS a point in asking people who are interested in politics but no point in asking people who aren't. that was my bloody point. forget it ... why are the government asking this question in anything goes but i can't!!!arrrrrgggghhhhhhnb :LFCpi
  • Options
    baaa philistines.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    baaa philistines.

You do know where the name "Palestine" originated from, and why, right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    aye i never thought of that. of course ...actualy makes a bit of sense as well jaq!
  • Options
    being in the euro would surely make war in europe impossible ever again.

IMO, 'uniting' europe under one currency system will make war in europe more likely in the future.
  • Options
    just noticed they moved this from anything goes. the WHOLE point of putting it in there you bozo's was because this referendum is about asking people who know little about politics

Pah! Despite appearances we know bugger all about politics in this forum as well. ;)

I think there should be a referendum. But I also think the economic conditions should be favourable, and to be honest the public should be educated better about the euro and indeed the EU before the government goes to the nation on the issue. Some will say "educated" means in fact "brainwashed" into accepting the currency, but the fact is this country has a massive chip in its shoulder when it comes to the E word and presently it would be impossible to have a rational and informed debate.

Large sections of the media have been conducting what surely qualifies as the longest, most vitriolic, hate-filled, biased and bigoted campaign in history against the euro and the EU, and mostly for all the wrong reasons. Talk about brainwashing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    IMO, 'uniting' europe under one currency system will make war in europe more likely in the future.

Why?
  • Options
    I believe the chances of another war in Europe- at least between EU members- are exactly ZERO, common currency or not. I know we have a history of fighting, and I know a war between some Eastern European states is not that improbable, but war between the current members? I don't think so. The ghosts of the 20th century should really be laid to rest once and for all. We're in the 21st century now. Germany- despite what many people in this country actually believe- is not out to conquer and dominate Europe; nor is France the weak military power it used to be. We’re all democratic powers now and despite all the differences between members we still have a cozier relationship with each other than most other nations elsewhere can dream of.

I know many people naturally pessimistic about- or simply hostile to- the EU and the Continent keep going on about wars about to break out, massive discontent, etc etc. Many of these people were also saying the euro was going to collapse, bring misery and bankrupt countries off right centre. Not quite the case is it?

Perhaps I'm overoptimistic but I believe the 21st century belong to the EU. Despite all the economic gloom predicted by some the euro is likely to become the global currency for this century, and the EU, already going ahead of the US in key sectors such as the air transport industry and even space development, will establish itself as an economic and socially stable superpower second to none.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

yes. but Palestinians are palestinians now. Look in the dictionary.
  • Options
    There's a saying in the US that states that people get the government they deserve. Getting in bed with France, Germany and Belguim is beyond me. Their actions have proved to be so untrustworthy.
  • Options
    Main pro to the euro: no currency fluctuations, therefore trade more likly to be free, which is the aim of the EU
    Main cons of the euro: The pound is currently strong against the euro, so by joining, we would be losing out financially. Also, at the moment, if there is a problem with too many people saving money or spending money, it can be corrected by changing the intrest rate. If we're part of the euro, the intrest rate will be controlled by the Centeral European Bank (I think that's what it's called) and we will have little control over it.

Conclusion: Say no to the euro
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    yes. but Palestinians are palestinians now. Look in the dictionary.

I know.
    Just thought it as funny that you use the term philistine as I've never ran into anyone who knew that before :)
  • Options
    Im all for it, i think saying keep it becuase of sovereignty is a pointless reason, i mean has it affected any of the Euro countries majorly?
    besides Britain changed its currency in a way 40 years ago right? didnt change that much right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Im all for it, i think saying keep it becuase of sovereignty is a pointless reason, i mean has it affected any of the Euro countries majorly?
    besides Britain changed its currency in a way 40 years ago right? didnt change that much right?
    Britain changed 40 years ago, but all that was was changing to a different numbering system. At the moment all our intrest rates are controlled by the Bank of England. If people aren't spending enough, the BoE lowers the intrest rate. If people aren't saving enough, the BoE raises the intrest rate. If we join the Euro, and people aren't buying enough in the UK, but the rest of Europe is fine, then the European Central Bank isn't going to change the intrest rate. End result: either deflation or skyrocketing inflation.
    Changing to decimal had the only effect of confusing people for a while, nothing fundamental changed. Changing to the Euro means that we lose control of our currency. That's not a sovereignty issue, that's a purely economic issue
  • Options
    Does anybody else think these "economic tests" where a bit of a waste of time? I mean say conditions matched up to them, we can't pull ourselves out of the Euro when conditions change can we?