Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cv

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, my turn...
Can people look at my CV? Help & advice appreciated.
If you don't know what a .sig file is, ignore/delete it. You don't need it. Or if you're curious, PM me, and/or have a look here

Comments

• Options
    Phew, I was worried you were going to put all your contact details on there!
  • Options
    You have said you are a fast learner twice...and you have also used the old cliche about being good in teams and on your own, but not backed it up.

You need to say what you did during your work experience specially as it was such a short time.

When you say 'able to apply my knowledge extensively and usefully to situations' you need to give examples!

References usually go at the end!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Karla
    Phew, I was worried you were going to put all your contact details on there!
    :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by byny
    You have said you are a fast learner twice...and you have also used the old cliche about being good in teams and on your own, but not backed it up.
    You need to say what you did during your work experience specially as it was such a short time.
    When you say 'able to apply my knowledge extensively and usefully to situations' you need to give examples!
    References usually go at the end!!
    Thankyou :D
    Now what happened to the other 15 downloads?!?:mad:
  • Options
    C'mon people!

Yes, it's rubbish. It's the first CV I've ever written.
    THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT AND THEN SAY NOTHING! :mad:
    ie please, if you're going to take the time to look at it, please say something. Even if it is just 'that's crap'
  • Options
    Hey - its not rubbish...its just a typical CV for someone who's not done much in the workplace...Try to make more of your personal experience, your involvement with clubs/societies/social life.

No-one will be expecting a person of your age to provide a 2 page document.
  • Options
    I can't download it :mad: My company blocks .zip downloads.

However, just reading the above comments I do have something to offer, and some general advice too:

1. Never add reference details to your CV. They are irrelevant at this point.

2. Don't mention your age or marital status. Again irrelavnt information which is more likely to go against you, that be in your favour.

3. Don't put the words "CV" or "Curriculum Vitae" on the document. When you send it to an employer you should write a letter saying that "I have attached a copy of my CV" and then attach it. This sentence already tell them what the document is, don't insult their intelligence.

4. Remember this is an advert. It won't get you the job, but it could stop you getting an interview. Basically what you want to do is make your CV interesting enough for a potential employer to want to meet you. You can expand on details at your interview.

There are so many things allied to CVs but without being able to read it I can't comment on yours in particular. If you want me to have a look PM me and I will give you an e-mail address...
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    No-one will be expecting a person of your age to provide a 2 page document.

Agreed.

It is considered good form to provide two pages, but only if each part is relevant and the document should never be more than that.

I would rather recieve a one page document which is interesting than two pages of fluff...
  • Options
    1. Don't put your DOB and your age. People aren't stupid and cab work it out for themselves.

2. Don't put your predicted grades in that manner. I personally wouldn't give you the time of day.

Personally, I would put your "about me" section at the beginning in the form of a "personal statement". Also, what did you do at your work experience? What skills did you gain?
  • Options
    Thankyou :D
    Have taken all your comments :D
  • Options
    Are those A* for real?

IF so I'd be put off hiring someone with that written, I'd either think they're too smart to work for me or they're a liar!!!

Your work experince doesn't say one line about what you did.

Also remember in the future your Cv is going to be uploded into a big database where some guy enters a keyword an may come up with your name.

I've had load of idiot recruiter call me because they found a keyword in my CV and didn't even bother reading the CV themselves.
  • Options
    Don't put your predicted grades in that manner. I personally wouldn't give you the time of day

What's wrong with the way it's done? What "manner"?? Maybe arrange them in alphabetical order, or subject groups, eg: Key subjects (Maths, Eng, Sci), Humanities, etc?

I think you must be so intelligent, but it does actually look quite intimidating, seeing all the A*s! As people mentioned before, add a bit about what you gained from work experience, and give examples where u state something.
  • Options
    For obvious reasons, the vast majority of the information on there is incorrect. I started replacing with random data, then gave up and just put in spaces. Thanks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Me_and
    For obvious reasons, the vast majority of the information on there is incorrect. I started replacing with random data, then gave up and just put in spaces. Thanks.
    Oh yes, we're all going to track you down should you put your real predicted grades down! :D :rolleyes: :p;)
  • Options
    yeah listen to what everyone's said pretty much, also do a covering letter, but do't waffle in it. add some more detail, but if you do get an inteerview they will prob ask you to go inot mroe depth anyway.
    i would personally just write the subjects and not predicted grades (after all they r predicted not real)
    and erm i duno if i have much more advice ah yes just check throguh when you've written paragraphs because you really don't want to make mistakes like the whole writing the same thing twice.
    good idea to get other people to look other it though.
  • Options
    Hey! I'm his girlf and those are his original grades.... Some did go down after the mocks though didn't they sweetie! lol