Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

English Language or Sociology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm picking up an extra AS next year and don't know whether to go for English Language or Sociology.

So anyone got advice or recomendations for which one to go for?

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hi

Well Im doing A level sociology so obviously Im biased!

I would say that sociology is demanding but also very rewarding.

I think if you study sociology, you'll definately learn to appreciate the world around you more, and you may even learn something about yourself!

When I did AS we looked at gender roles, sexuality, class, the family, race, and also how to do sociological research.

I have to say that when it comes to the actual exams (I did the OCR papers) they tend to be quite abstract, and you have to think for yourself quite a bit - you can't just learn facts and reel them off like maybe you can in maths or science.

So if you want a challenge - choose sociology :D

Hope this helped - and remember, its only my point of view - Im sure there are others who would tell you socio is crap, and they probably will do now, just to make me feel stupid! :rolleyes:

Ams x
  • Options
    I'm currently doing both at A2. Overall I personally prefer Sociology and am hoping to start a degree in it, in September!

At AS Level the topics the college I'm at covered for our Sociology exams were Education, Media and Research Methods. We also had to do a piece of coursework on either Education or Media. (AQA Exam Board).

At AS Level in English Language we had to do 2 pieces of original writing as our coursework, which was fun as they could be any genre and about anything you liked! We also covered things such as accents and dialects, analysing various different texts such as newspapers, poetry and short stories. (Also AQA Exam Board).

I found Sociology a lot easier than English Language, although I got the same grade at AS Level in both!

I enjoy Sociology partly for the fact that it isn't just all factual based, you get to have your own opinion about things going on in the world and it is also relevant to what is going on currently.

I didn't really enjoy English Language at AS Level, I much prefer this year at A2 Level as we get to do more fun things! If you enjoy analysing texts and writing your own pieces then you will enjoy it though.

If I had to decide between the two I would choose Sociology, but it depends what you enjoy really.

Good luck making a decision! :)
  • Options
    I did A Level Eng Language, and really enjoyed it - but then I am a language freak! I would say that if you were thinking of studying languages of any sort at all in later life then English Lang will help loads. My one module in Linguistics at uni contained more or less the whole of the A Level English Language syllabus!
  • Options
    Well i've opted to do english language. I'm gunna stick with what i'm good at! :)

Thanks for the replies though, they helped loads. :D
  • Options
    If I was in your shoes I would choose Sociology as I chose English before and now wish I hadn't