Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

glanduler fever -help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey, wondering if anyone can help me?

my doctor ran me today after having blood tests, that ive got glanduler fever. I was wondering if anyone has had it, and can tell me anything about it.
Im awere my glands are up-badly as well, and my spleen cannot be knocked, and have to take it easy, anything else??? Foods i cant have, ect
im just worried thats all.

kittenxxx

ps, you can PM if you'd like.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had it last Autumn but not seriously at all, I was in bed for two days and then weak, but recovered fairly quickly! Although it takes I think approx 3months to leave your system fully.

Basically, don't do sport - relax, take it easy :) don't exert yourself because your condition will deteriorate.
    As for food, it's the same as any other illness - unless you feel sick, eat what you like :)
    I was advised to take calcium, magnesium and zinc supplements for a while as well, and drink lots of fresh orange juice which is high in vit C.

Other than that, not sure... don't kiss anyone :p
    oops, bit late, been kissing my boyfriend for a week before i even knew i had it!! oh well, he'll probley be alright, he's never ill!!! thanx for that:) i'll bear it in mind.
    later-- kitty xxxxx
    Some people can be pretty ill with it, not sure of all the facts. All I know is that it can take you a few months to get back to normal (in severe cases) and you have to take things easy :)
    I had it last year for about 6-8 months. I was really tired most of the time - I usually missed about 2 or 3 days every month due to my glands being swollen. I was really ill for one week though and spent the whole week in bed and in absolute agony. Don't want to scare you though because if you look after yourself you hopefully won't get that ill.

My advice would be to rest when you feel tired, don't do streinous exercise or stress yourself out because this is what triggers it. Eat healthily - Lots of fruit and veg, you need extra nutrients especially vitamin C. Drink lots of fluids. Try some herbal treatments for your immune system - Cat's Claw and Sambucol were recommended to me for Glandular fever.

Hope you're feeling ok - Get well soon :)
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    I Although it takes I think approx 3months to leave your system fully.

Isn't glanduler fever one of those viruses thatnever goes away. Like cold-sores. It stays in your system, and can come back anytime - but it doesn't for a lot of people and is usually triggered by being stressed or when something very emotional happens (i can't explain it properly, can't think of the right word!)

I'm just wondering, not bagging you out perfect!
    I had it when I was 16 & it was awful. The blood tests didn't show it at first so I was lying on the sofa for 24 hours a day, asleep for about 16 of them, not knowing what was wrong with me. My throat was so sore & swollen I couldn't eat anything so lived off build-up shakes & chocolate! Lost about a stone & a half (was a stick to start with too so looked awful!) with it. You just have to rest & look after yourself. It took me months to recover. Give yourself loads of sleep, as much as you need, and take it easy. Just walking to the bathroom used to wear me out so much I'd have to sleep for hours afterwards!
    thanx guys, you'd be suprised how much you've helped me. im just off college at the mo, and not at workk, just keeping myself to myself really. thatnx again. i owe you all a coffee, or tea!

luv kitten xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Can I have a biscuit as well?
    I had it quite bad, spent most of 6 months in bed. I am told the virus is always with you, its called the Epstein barr virus or something like that.
    yes you can have a bisuit!!!:)

kitty xx
    Originally posted by witch-kitten
    yes you can have a bisuit!!!:)

kitty xx
    Can i have a jaffa cake? :p lol purleeeeeease.
    or perhaps a hot choclate???:nervous:
    I don't know, you offer people a coffee and they seem to think that this mean that they can get picky...

White with two for me please. :)

I had GF a few years ago, when I was 18. I was off work for a couple of months and it took me a few more to recover. I lost loads of weight at the same time and it took me longer to get that back. Whenever flu comes around I always seem to be hit hard and I suspect that this is partly because of my previous virus.

You know it's referred to as the "kissing" disease, don't you?
    I had it really bad about 2 years ago and it was horrible. I was ill for a few months and missed loads of my AS work. I had an unbearably sore throat that I couldnt eat with it and found it quite hard to breath.

Make sure you dont kiss anyone or share a drink with them coz you'll pass it on coz its very catchy. Even if they dont get symptoms themself they'll then become a carrier and pass it on to everyone else. It doesnt fully leave your system for about a year after but you will always be more prone to it once you've had it so take it easy. :)