Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Split the twins?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else heard about the Siamese twins' case in the Court of Appeal at the moment?

Here's the situation: The twins are joined at the base of the spine, so a separation may leave the individuals paralysed. The weaker twin will almost certainly die if separated, since her heart and lungs are practically non-functional. If left together, both will die within a few months at most.

The parents are strongly religous and want the twins to be left to Nature's tender mercies. The doctors want permission to operate as it will at least save the stronger twin. They were granted permission to operate against the parents' express wishes by the High Court, but this is now being challenged in the Court of Appeal.

The law is ambiguous in the extreme; I'd be interested to hear what people think about the morality of sacrificing one so that the other can live.

Comments

• Options
    Purely a personal opinion.
    I feel it it to ethically and morally wrong to kill the weaker one so the stronger one can survive.
    I would given this horrendous situation, wait.

When and if the weaker one dies, I would immediately operate to seperate them, and pray (not that i have a god) that the other twin survives.

I can not see any other way around this situation. I do not believe the courts should have the right to what is in reality murder the weaker twin.
  • Options
    i think most people will dissagree with me, but i have mixed emotions wether to seperate or not. i think the twins should b left to nature, they came in to the world together as '1', and so i feel they should let die together. jody, the stronger 1 may live if seperate and grow up and due to the possibility of so many problems may wish shed been left stay with her sister mary. but i guess we will never know that unless she does survive.

i think the parents decision should b the final 1. its kinda the same as abortion, the parent takes the decision to kill the child and nout is done to change their mind, its a personal decision, and there4 the parents.
    mayb the parents would find it easier to grieve if both went together, in stead of killing 1 to save 1.

i think the time taken to decide has been pathetic, and it still aint concluded. by now jody is probably fighting 4 her life to keep her and her sister alive.
    its an awful situation and im just glad that im not 1 of the judges to make the decision.
    c ya helly
  • Options