Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

morning after pill?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does the morning after pill make a girls period come faster or does the girls period just come normally? I have heard both.

Comments

• Options
    It has different effects on different girls. It can make them mess up a little, but some girls notice no difference.

However if your period is late and you've had the MAP it is worth a trip to your GP to check it didn't fail i.e. you are pregnant (fairly rare for this to happen, but it still does).

Hope that helps

Susie :)
  • Options
    yeah - definately check out if you are pregnant. Some reports say that the morning after pill can cause ectopic pregnancies which are really dangerous so you need to check that you aren't pregnant and if you are check that its not ectopic.
  • Options
    My friend was told by a lady at boots that it was supposed to be on time. My other friend had a month long one-well not a period but spotting sorta. I guess that would be a difference in brands.

Oh and as my topic is now closed about my best mate being pregnant, she did def buy the contraception as I was with her!

Is the morning after pill only free if you go to the GP or GUM?
  • Options
    sometimes it can delay ur period for up to 5 days, other times it makes it come earlier...if you've used it quite a lot for whatever reason, the hormones can knock ur period out completely for a month or two...from experience! (then i went on the pill:) )
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    My friend was told by a lady at boots that it was supposed to be on time. My other friend had a month long one-well not a period but spotting sorta. I guess that would be a difference in brands.

Oh and as my topic is now closed about my best mate being pregnant, she did def buy the contraception as I was with her!

Is the morning after pill only free if you go to the GP or GUM?

I was told by the lady at Boots that my period may be early or may be late or may be at the right time but I should do a pregnancy test if its late or light incase I am still pregnant.

It is only free if you get it through the doctor/hospital.

I have my booklet here...it says

'it stops a pregnancy before it is established. It does not work if you are already pregnant'...'The tablets are more effective if they are taken as soon as possible after unprotected sex' ...'you can use the emergency contraceptive at any time during your cycle except if your period is late' .. 'you should only use emergency contraception in emergencies and not as a regular method of contraception. If it is used more thanonce in a menstrual cycle it is more likely to upset your menstrual cycle' ..'After you have taken the contraceptive you are advised to make an appointment to see your doctor about three weeks later to make sure it has worked' ...'your period might be different most women will have a normal period at the expected time, some may have their period at a later or earlier time. you may also have some irregular spotting or bleeding' ...'if your period is more than 5 days late, unusually heavy or lightyou should contact your doctor as soon as possible'