Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spare a minute if you will.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the past few months, I think everybody has noticed a certain change in tone here at The Site.

Personally, I agree that there are far more arguments, disagreements, petty squabbles and incidences of backstabbing. I think this may have been perpetuated by the rise in popularity of talking with one another away from The Site, vis MSN or other messsenger programs and Live Journal.

That is by the by with regards to what I want to say.

What annoys me is that people seem to get upset when people squabble but personally I believe that people argue because it is healthy to do so. It shows that you have a healthy mind, and an active one. People who can think through an argument and debate it, even with harsh words have something to be proud of.

I don't understand why, when someone on here has an argument with another poster, people who are not involved try to tell them to calm down and leave it alone. Why should they? In the real world, the one outside our own front doors, do we hold our tongue when we are upset or angry? No we don't.

It is hypocritical of some posters to expect everyone here to get along. We come from so many diverse backgrounds and we have such differing views that we will indeed come to blows; there will be clashes of personality and opinion and I don't think that is something that should be stamped out.

Why should we all get along? Don't tell me that you don't hate anybody, that your neighbour doesn't annoy you or your boss at work. It is all the same. Hating someone in "real life" and hating someone online is the same thing. In our immediate communities there are people we find weird, unapproachable, stupid even and we will comment on them to our friends and family. So why should it be any different here? Why should everything be harmonious and perfect just because this is an online community?

This is life. People don't get along and people aren't nice to everyone they meet. Some people can control themselves when they get angry, but they're still angry inside and I feel that venting your anger is far more healthy that sitting and stewing over it.

In conclusion:
Let people argue, who cares? We can't all get along. I have stayed away from The Site for two weeks now because I apparently was too argumentative. So fuck? Why do you care? People can argue if they want to and nobody has the right to tell them not to. Think about it, have you tried to dampen the flames of an argument? Why did you bother? Have you never had one yourself?

Have a nice day y'all. :)

Comments

• Options
    I completely agree. If something nasty or provocative is said to you, you have every right to retalliate, instead of being told to calm down or lighten up. I'm speaking from experience here. Arguing is healthy, and I believe that if someone starts getting nasty and personal to the person they are arguing with, that someone should expect to be bitten back.

P.S. Don't leave the site again!
  • Options
    awww, both of you two are argumentative but iloves ya both in your own special ways.
  • Options
    Yeah, agree with you there. Why should you hold your tongue? You wouldn't anywhere else, unless you don't have a backbone! :)
  • Options
    But you two always tell people to stop arguing :confused:

I argue whatever anyone says.
  • Options
    I haven't noticed any arguments on here actually, nor have I been involved in any or tried to dampen any down. This is the same in real life. I can't really understand why.
  • Options
    i love a good argument, I agree its a pain in the arse when people tell you not to argue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay

I argue whatever anyone says.

You also go on and on at people to calm down when they're the ones being attacked and trying to stick up for themselves.
  • Options
    Lacy, I do not. I make a point of not telling people not to argue. For one I think it is hilarious, especially when two posters argue and the best they can come up with is "oh, shut up" and words to that effect. :lol:

Seriously though, I do not tell people not to argue. If anything, I think we should have some more arguments, instead of people drinking in online bars, telling people they are bored and/or telling people their PM inboxes are full!

Debate people. DEBATE!
  • Options
    Re: Spare a minute if you will.....
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    So fuck?

*giggles to self*

Ah, I hate it lately when someone gets pissed off with someone else and straight away you get 'Nooo, remember Lacy's thread'. Er, yeah, does anyone maybe think that I didn't agree with Lacy's thread?

Arguments are funny and everyone loves them. It's why threads with arguments in are always so huuuuuge.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Spare a minute if you will.....
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    *giggles to self*

Ah, I hate it lately when someone gets pissed off with someone else and straight away you get 'Nooo, remember Lacy's thread'. Er, yeah, does anyone maybe think that I didn't agree with Lacy's thread?

Hehe Lacy didnt even agree with Lacys thread.

Lacy just said that to shut some of you up.

Now you've all said this, im gonna bring up this thread when i argue and you all tell me to shut up! :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Spare a minute if you will.....

Now you've all said this, im gonna bring up this thread when i argue and you all tell me to shut up! :D

You tell me to shut up when I argue. :( But I like it when people argue. Unless it's boring, then sod reading that.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Spare a minute if you will.....
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    You tell me to shut up when I argue. :( But I like it when people argue. Unless it's boring, then sod reading that.

Thats cos your a troublemaker :p
  • Options
    Awww, there still isn't enough arguing here, hehe. :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spare a minute if you will.....
    Thats cos your a troublemaker :p

But I'm so sweet and nice and schtuff. :( And errrrr, I'm so lovely to everyone. :p (HAR)
  • Options
    Yeh this place is rediculous nowadays! This is the second time I've been on in about 10 days, which may be alot to some but I use to be here all the time and now I'm rarely here and only doing about two posts each time. Everyone is too bitchy, has their own circle of peeps they wanna talk to and have too many problems with each other. I know I argue with alot of people but not any more cos I'm rarely gonna be here I find it more fun watching paint dry than reading this shit on here.
  • Options
    So go watch paint dry. :)
  • Options
    I personally don't care if people argue. What is starting to piss me off is people coming along and saying 'now let's review the situation...' and getting all high and mighty about how things have to change. It's just discussion boards, for goodness sake. Lighten up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I personally don't care if people argue. What is starting to piss me off is people coming along and saying 'now let's review the situation...' and getting all high and mighty about how things have to change. It's just discussion boards, for goodness sake. Lighten up.

:thumb:

Well said.
  • Options
    Stop.
    Originally posted by angelbabe
    I use to be here all the time

How sad is that, staying in all day on the computer! You'll be as white as a sheep and your eyes will mess up.

:lol:

Sorry. :blush:

Carry on.
  • Options
    Everyone is too bitchy.

Yeah I have to agree, like the following quote to me is just coming here bitching to other members...........I wonder what they seek to do? get an argument going? hhmmmm:chin:
    I find it more fun watching paint dry than reading this shit on here
    .......ooopppps that was youre quote :)
  • Options
    I am guilty of getting overly offended and affected by things people have said to me on line, not just on here but oon email groups as well. The first time I was so angry, and was surprised at myself that someone could have such an affect on me just from words on a screen.

But I do enjoy having an intelligent discussion/argument, call it what you will. All you have online is your brain and communication, I enjoy expressing myself that way and trying to show someone my point of view, although I may not always be successful.

Let people argue so long as it's not resorting to petty, nasty insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on an issue but not to insult someone else.
  • Options
    I find it more fun watching paint dry than reading this shit on here.

Excellent. You can come over here and sort my walls out. I need two walls painting and two walls having artex removed and then painting. You don't necessarily have to watch it dry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Excellent. You can come over here and sort my walls out. I need two walls painting and two walls having artex removed and then painting. You don't necessarily have to watch it dry.
    Right, I vote Mist as the funniest poster of the day, perhaps the week....! :p

No, really..... he is funny!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

No, really..... he is funny!

I certainly am.

:crazyeyes