Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Testing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On tuesday I'm going to get tested for HIV and fully screened and I'm shitting bricks. I'm so scared that I'll have HIV like I've been awake at night and being sick thinking about it. What do they do to test you? Everyone says "Its unlikely" etc but what if i have got it? I'm soo unbelievably scared, I might not go and get the results. I've slept with 14 men, quite a few of which without condoms which i know is stupid and my first boyfriend cheated on me loads with girls who had slept around without condoms etc.

Comments

• Options
    Aww hun i feel for you. I know it's no conselation but chances are that you don't have HIV.
    I get paranoid about sti's and stuff and i've only been with one person.
    Try not to stress yourself too much hun. I'm sure everything is going to be fine.
    You're doing the responsable thing by getting tested and it takes a lot of guts to do something like that and face upto reality.

Sorry i'm no help as i have no idea how they will test you but good luck and i hope everything is ok for you. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    I haven't been tested for HIV but I've had a sexual health screening and it was fine, nowhere near as bad as I expected. The people at the clinic will be really helpful and they've seen it all before. You'll have a smear (for things like chlamydia and gonohorrea (sp?)) and a bloodtest, for syphillis and presumably for HIV as well although I don't know. Like 'one of the nobodies' said, you're doing a very responsible thing by going to be tested, and no one's going to look down on you for it. Please don't bottle out when it comes to getting the results, it's really not worth it if you've gone to all the trouble of having the tests.

Good Luck.

LSS
  • Options
    ((hugs)) hope it goes well but i dont think theres much chance of you having hiv, try not to worry about it when uve not even been for the test yet, good luck hun :(
  • Options
    So, would you be happier not going for the test, and not knowing. Would you sleep more soundly?
    Obviously you're not happy not knowing, so knowing must be a good thing. The chances are you haven't got HIV, so chill out, at least you're now doing the responsible thing by going for a test.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    the liklihood is you wont have it, but well done you for getting tested. i got tested routinely when i was pregnant, and it was just a normal blood test, I didnt even know they were testing for that.
  • Options
    I wish Rubberskin was still alive...:(
  • Options
    poor old rubberskin, but still jellygirl, the chances are you havent got it. 14 peoples not that huge a number, especially if you used condoms with most of them. this test will just put your mind at rest and then you can be more careful in the future.
  • Options
  • Options
    I know that but he would be able to tell me the full facts. You know, he experienced it. He was so cool about it all, well, thats what we thought.
  • Options
    I had one when I went for a health check at the GUM, I'd stupidly forgotten that by donating blood I would have been informed If i had it!Duh!

I think the chances are low and you'll be fine hun! As the others have said at least you are being responsible. I went thru the same-I slept with a few men without condoms and decided to get checked. I now wouldn't dare risk not using one.
  • Options
    I had a blood test to see if i was immune from rubella for my job but they weren't testing for hiv i dont think so... i dunno...its tomorrow. I feel sick.
  • Options
    youll be FINE, youre doing the right thing, and it will all be over and done with before you know it, so relax (hugs)
  • Options
    Hey jellygirl, hope it went ok today. Did you make it to the clinic? When will you get the results?

I have to phone up for my sexual health check results tomorrow... I'm quite nervous :(

LSS
  • Options
    Right, I went to the clinic. I'm not gonna lie, it was just horrible. I saw the doctor who asked me a few questions then i went into this little room and the woman nurse asked me to sit on the edge of the bed thing. She took some blood and was quite friendly. Then she showed me this huge instrument (looked huge to me) and said the doctor was going to insert it into my vagina to take swabs of my cervix and in and around the vagina. Then he was going to open it up inside me. She told me to take my bottom half of my clothes off behind a curtain then put a big piece of tissue type cloth over my lap to "protect my modesty". She then told me the doctor who would be doing my swabs would be a male then she walked out the room. i started crying my eyes out cos i was scared and nervous cos of my rape etc i didnt want some strange man poking down there. Anyway i sat there then they out my legs on this thing that made them come apart. They kept asking if i was ok i just told them i was worried i was crying my eyes out all the way through. They put this contrapment up me so to speak and opened it up and put a light there and then he swabbed from my cervix and around my vagina. Then he put lubricant on me and stuck his fingers up there and then he got a little stick and swabbed from my urine tract (sp) which is still affecting me now, i keep thinking i need the toilet). And then he got a stick and kind of mixed it around. All this felt highly uncomfortable and then i told them about me being raped after and they offered me councelling.
  • Options
    Yeh so.... in the end they told me for my initial tests it was given the all clear but i gotta come back in 14 days for my chlamidiya and hiv results.
  • Options
    Awwww you poor, poor girl! :(

*hugs* at least it's over now, you can breathe a huge sigh of relief and feel extremely proud of yourself for being responsible and going to have it done. Good luck for the results :)
  • Options
    well done, i've never been through what u had to but i can imagine how horrendous it was. you're really, really brave for it and it's over so u can relax and know that you did the right thing. well done you! :)