Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

War on Terror

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would like to know how the opponents of war , eg Clandestine , Kevlar , Heydrich etc. would go about tackling the problem of global terrorism.

Im just interested in your views.

Comments

• Options
    The WoT has never been an issue with the anti-war movement. That was one of the loudest points made throughout the protests. Perhaps you were too busy closing your ears and waving your flag to notice.

The WoT is a global police action which had/has the galvanised support of the vast majority of the international community, both governments and populations.

Seems the running efforts of the Bush camp to blur and confuse the two issues has worked a charm on you.
  • Options
    Nice, he asked you how you'd tackle the war on terrorism, and you answer a question which hasn't been asked...
  • Options
    His insinuation was that the anti-war movement would or should be opposed to the WoT, in point of fact jacq.

To even ask such a question knowing full well the WoT has been nearly universally supported all along and is a truly mulitlateral initiiative makes the insinuation all the more annoying for its inability to distinguish between opposition to the arrogance of the Bush administration to disregard the international community when it wont bow to their plans for corporate plunder and the legitimate pursuit and eradication of a real and present threat to us all.

He got the answer the question deserved.
  • Options
    No , I didnt get an answer at all.

All I got was hysterical rambling.

I insinuated nothing , why cant you just answer the question?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    No , I didnt get an answer at all.

All I got was hysterical rambling.

I insinuated nothing , why cant you just answer the question?

Cause such an answer won't allow him to bash the states nor Israel, in the same way as so many other questions could.
  • Options
    I would like to know how the opponents of war , eg Clandestine , Kevlar , Heydrich etc. would go about tackling the problem of global terrorism. Im just interested in your views.

The world's number one terrorist state - the United States of America - must not continue to be appeased. I would first try the sanctions route.
  • Options
    I just turned on my television. The fascists over at Faux News actually have Ollie "Iran-Contra" North of all people in Iraq creating hysteria about the possibility of Iraq selling weapons to terrorists! Now how's that for irony!
  • Options
    Thank you jacq for further examplifying the myopia and inability to distinguish crticism of national policies and the nations themselves which is endemic to the right wing.

Matadore, I answered your question. The war on terror is being fought as is nearly universally agreed upon. Leave out unilateralist plunderings of sovereign nations for corporate gain and there wouldnt be such vociferous and widespread protests.
  • Options
    Speaking of terrorism - something which the United States and Great Britain supposedly are opposed to - can someone explain to me why the United States and Great Britain brought South Africa to its knees in order to install the terrorists and marxists in the ANC (Animals, Necklacing, Communism) in power there, going so far as to give them over a billion dollars in recent years?
  • Options
    Does anyone on this forum actually have any idea why these people are terriorists?

Maybe it is due to the massive inequalities between the rich and the poor where 80% of the world's resources are used by 20% of the world's population

Where the few dicate the terms for trade

Where the few impose they will on the many

Where the developing world is used by the developed world as a source of cheap labour

When the most powerfull state in the world ignores the rest of the world on important issues such as global warming

These people maybe fundamentalists and extermists but the people from which there have come from are being abused and used by the west and the developed world if we where instead of attacking countries to actually encourage development and to promote improvements in there standards of living then these funadmentalists and extermists would not have any backing or support form the masses
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    Speaking of terrorism - something which the United States and Great Britain supposedly are opposed to - can someone explain to me why the United States and Great Britain brought South Africa to its knees in order to install the terrorists and marxists in the ANC (Animals, Necklacing, Communism) in power there, going so far as to give them over a billion dollars in recent years?

This might have something to do with the fact that this is what the majority of people in South Africa wanted. Although I can understand why you wouldn't want a democratic Govt in place there instead of the racist regime that existed previously.

Worth noting too that it wasn't just the US and UK who were anti-apartheid.
    Originally posted by marv
    Does anyone on this forum actually have any idea why these people are terriorists?

Maybe it is due to the massive inequalities between the rich and the poor where 80% of the world's resources are used by 20% of the world's population

Maybe you should look at the WTC attacks and consider that the alledged perpetrators of that heinous crime were not poor or oppressed individuals.
  • Options
    Maybe you should look at the WTC attacks and consider that the alledged perpetrators of that heinous crime were not poor or oppressed individuals

Very good point

Bin Laden the billionaire is a Saudi , which is a very rich counter , and also where the majority of the hijackers come from.
  • Options
    This might have something to do with the fact that this is what the majority of people in South Africa wanted.

You have just nailed it right on the head. A majority of whom? A majority over what area? A majority of non-citizens? That is precisely what is so worthless about democracy today - those who worship a form of government dispensing with its very antecendent - the people.

America and Great Britain have also never had any problem subverting and toppling popular governments when it suited their interests, much less promoting terrorism to accomplish such aims as was the case of Nicaragua.
    Although I can understand why you wouldn't want a democratic Govt in place there instead of the racist regime that existed previously.

No, I do not approve of handing over South Africa and Rhodesia to anti-white marxists and savages. But that is precisely what allies of Great Britain and the United States should come to expect - like the farmers in Rhodesia - betrayal when it is politically expedient.
    Worth noting too that it wasn't just the US and UK who were anti-apartheid.

Apartheid! What a horrible thing! I mean just look at the paradise South Africa is today - the AIDs, rape, and murder capital of the world whose currency has lost well over a third of its value. Or just look at the miracle of Zimbabwe, presided over by the Maoist racist maniac Mugabe who flicks his finger at the world while he slaughters families because they are white - many of them even British passport holders.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    You have just nailed it right on the head. A majority of whom? A majority over what area? A majority of non-citizens?

That's right, all those pesky people who lived in the geographical area represented by the Govt of South Africa.

Oh, hang on they are the citizens of that country.
    No, I do not approve of handing over South Africa and Rhodesia to anti-white marxists and savages.

No neither do I. I believe in giving people the right to choose the form of Govt they wish for themselves.

Sadly, in this case, that is exactly what they chose.
    Apartheid! What a horrible thing! I mean just look at the paradise South Africa is today - the AIDs, rape, and murder capital of the world whose currency has lost well over a third of its value.

It is indeed a horrendous thing to live with. Perhaps they should have stuck to living in shanty towns, with the police killing them indescriminately. That was so much better, non?

However, I believe that people have the right to make their own mistakes, you just seem to think you know what is best for people. So who is the arrogant one now? Finally the American influence on you is shining through Herr Heydrich.
    Or just look at the miracle of Zimbabwe, presided over by the Maoist racist maniac Mugabe who flicks his finger at the world while he slaughters families because they are white - many of them even British passport holders.

So you find this reprehensible, but you defend the same actions when it was perpetrated against blacks?

Guess we know where you post your colours.
  • Options
    I don't see the War on Terror as a conventional war - just as the "civil war" in Ireland (as it was referred to in the early days) was not fought between the armies of the Irish Republic and Britain this is not a conventional war. I see it as a war of intelligence and hearts and minds so what we need is a dual-pronged "attack".

Firstly, we give the security services (police, MI5 and MI6) all the resources they require to monitor, track and root out terrorist cells and threats to Britain.

Secondly, we remove the use of the West as a bogeyman - in short we take away the reason why people join groups like Al-Qaeda. For a surprisingly little amount we can ensure that all children can have primary school level education which in turn will improve their economic development and get them out of poverty. We also increase aid and attempt to get basic human amenities to as much of the Third World as possible such as clean water, sanitation and food. We also remove things like sanctions which allow dictators to distract their populations discontent onto the "big bad west" if we remove sanctions they can't blame the West so have to blame the dictators who rule over them. We also work to solve the crisis in the Middle East which is a big factor to many Muslims hatred of the West - we need an independent Jewish state and an independent Palestinian state with stable, agreed borders.

All of this is easier said than done but no war is ever easy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by marv

Where the few dicate the terms for trade

Where the few impose they will on the many

Where the developing world is used by the developed world as a source of cheap labour

When the most powerfull state in the world ignores the rest of the world on important issues such as global warming

These people maybe fundamentalists and extermists but the people from which there have come from are being abused and used by the west and the developed world if we where instead of attacking countries to actually encourage development and to promote improvements in there standards of living then these funadmentalists and extermists would not have any backing or support form the masses

Maybe it's because terrorists use hate as a tool for control and power.

If your concepts had any bearing on reality, how is it that terrorists almost never come from the poor? Instead they come from the educated and well-off. And, if your concepts had any bearing on reality, how do you explain the IRA? The various European terrorist groups? The Japanese terrorist groups?

Do a little research on what the peoples of Syria, Egypt and Jordan have been shown and told about the liberation of Iraq. Their own governments makes sure that they believe they are being attacked even when they are not.

Encourage development?

According to the Mullahs, the Arab world is the most developed and advanced in the world. You are the one who needs development, not them. For the fundamentalists, that development would be to rid the world of you.