Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Broadcasters as political activists.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My dad said it wasn't like this when he was growing up. But the Fox Network...which as rapidly grown in popularity...I feel has become a political organization.

It is a conservative network. I can't think of a liberal talk/news show on its schedule. The most popular one is The no spin zone with O'Reilly. It's carried in the UK and the rest of Europe. Beyond having liberals on the show and bashing their opinions in a really emotional debate, O'Reilly began the boycotte on French goods and travel to France and now seems to be aiming for Canada too.

Now, I do feel the French went out of their way to fight and gather alliances for their position regarding Iraq. And Canada's PM has made a lot of stupid, arrogant statements. But a broadcaster calling for a boycotte of states or also, entertainers, i.e. the Dixie Chicks, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Martin Sheen, Clooney, and more under the guise of patriotism...bothers me.

But I question given their power to express their position, should broadcasters be allowed to be political activitists.

The results of Fox led boycotts?

Bookings in Paris are down by 25%.
French wine sales in America are down by 15%.

Dixie Chick's Grammy winning album went from #1 to below albums that are charted. (The remark was made in the UK where one of the performers said that Bush made her ashamed to say she was from Texas.)

A major French restaurant in NYC closed.

Tim Robbins claims Fox has hurt his chances for employment because producers are afraid to hire him. (He sees the Bush Administration's hand in Fox's actions.)

Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins were uninvited to a Baseball Hall of Fame ceremony.

Fox is fond of suggesting that you're not taking away their right of speech by boycotting them...you're expression yourself by not patronizing their products, films etc.

But from where I sit. Fox is being given a greater say, than the average person.

What do you think? This could be applied to actions by the liberal press too like the BBC. But Fox is the one that bothered me.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the return of the McCarthy blacklist. Go ask your dad how proud a chapter of our history that was!

I personally applaud all the entertainers you named above for having the courage to apply their constitutional right to free speech and obligation to hold our political establishment accountable when it abuses its power as it is doing more and more every day. Especially in a national atmosphere of mindless, unquestioning flag waving such as you subscribe to.

The civic duty of the majority of Americans has truly been ignored for far too long.
  • Options
    A specific example of a Fox Network attack:

Michael Moore, who acts out the shtick of a blue-collar everyman from the luxury of his $1.27 million Upper West Side apartment."

Unlike the Bushes, and just like the Clintons, the Gores, the Kennedys and countless other leftist hypocrites who oppose school choice for the unwashed masses but not for their own little princes and princesses, Moore "sends his daughter to private school."
  • Options
    Ah yes typical right wing drivel.

So Moore is wealthy, big deal. He doesnt claim to be poor nor does addressing the farther reaching corruption, lies and underhanded activities of the Bushes and their cronies depend on one's income bracket. The criminals at the top and their media defenders like Murdoch are the real problem and not just in the US.

Try doing some real research for a change pnj and go dig into Bush's personal history to see just how much he and his family have used political power and links thereto to line their pockets at the nation's expense. Then come back and discuss how wrong Moore is. The real hypocrits are firmly entrenched in the neo-conservative camp.
  • Options
    Try doing some real research for a change pnj

Wrong take on me Clandestine. This post is my concerns about Fox being a political activist.

Could there be a connection with Moore's new project: a film on the relationship of the Bush family to Bin Laden and House of Saudi families.
  • Options
    Given the systematic dismantling of our most basic liberties that this administration is carrying out under all the flag wavers' noses it wouldnt suprise me if he is being subject to far worse attacks than bad press.
  • Options
    According to my dad, this is new too. Fox also knocks its competition on its shows.

For instance, O'Reilly was up against Connie Chung and Phil Donahue...and Larry King. And it was insinuated that the liberals led to 911 by weakening the CIA and FBI and also through the Clinton's administration apologizing for American power/leadership worldwide. (O'Reilly acutally succeeded in getting Phil Donahue and Connie Chung canceled.)
  • Options
    The death of public debate goes hand in hand with authoritarian control. The use of terms by this administration and their right wing backers in all areas of society such as traitor, anti-American, etc.. and the resultant lack of any substantial outcry from the American public only serves to highlight how easily our nation can be propagandised into following Washington's whims.

Its what got Senator McCarthy the spotlight for such a horribly extended period of our national history and its simply come back again in a new guise with new labels.

As I said some time ago, when this chapter of our history is laid to rest there will be a fresh wave of shame to be dished out to those who failed to stand up against the flagrant abuses of power being conducted under the false banners of liberty and democracy. There is nothing of either principle at work in what is unfolding today.
  • Options
    To quote Madonna, of all people:

"We say we're proud to be creating a democracy in Iraq when we no longer have one here. We're penalizing people for being opposed to the war or the Bush administration."

She was also attack on the O'Reilly show. They said "she pulled her completed video from her new song "American Girl" because it was anti-American and showed her throwing a bomb at Bush."

Then they listed her as "the most ridiculous item of the day." And said her career is basically finished since no one went to see her movie "Swept Away."

Madonna, now has shot a live version of the song which will be played on VH1.

Again, if someone gets annoyed at an artist and decides not to buy their stuff...fine. (Or like me, I don't wanna see someone my mom's age in a bathing suit on the big screen.) But a broadcaster calling for a boycotte should cross over a line.