Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Saddam's looters.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Saddam announced a general amnesty for prisoners last Oct. 20 to mark his new, seven-year mandate as president. The pardon covered political prisoners, common criminals and army deserters.

Unofficial estimates put their number at between 100,000 and 150,000.

Comments

• Options
    A rather moot post now wouldnt you say pnj?
  • Options
    Well, since the liberal press is so focused on the looters...maybe they should mention who some of them might be.
  • Options
    In a city of 5 million people and country of over 23 million, that kind of claim is like trying to blame all crime in America on those released from mental institutions in NY City for lack of beds.

Get real.

I suppose you believe the LA riots only involved ex-cons?

And once again, the press is not liberal. That's a myth propagated by authoritarian right wingers who think qny questioning of government activities must be liberal.

You wont be given slack on this one either!
  • Options
    I think it was an expression of outrage at Saddam. But the stats on who he let out did intrigue me...especially since the world's press...saw reports from Germany, France, Lebanon and Spain on C Span...failed to report the stats on released prisoners.
  • Options
    And did it ever cross your mind that most of those released prisoners were not even criminals but merely victims of repression?

At the same time, how many of those who harbour equal resentment toward the US have been shown on US tv? Precious few from what Ive heard from friends and family back home.
  • Options

But the stats on who he let out did intrigue me...especially since the world's press...saw reports from Germany, France, Lebanon and Spain on C Span...failed to report the stats on released prisoners.

What stats are these?
    I didn't see any in either of your posts, and we cannot really debate this without the facts.
  • Options
    The pardon covered political prisoners, common criminals and army deserters.

Unofficial estimates put their number at between 100,000 and 150,000.

I think most of the looting was done by people as an expression of their anger at the Saddam gang of thugs. But I wondered how many of the x prisoners took part in it too.
  • Options
    I ask for the statistics you are using to base you belief and you come back with

Unofficial estimates put their number at...

and

I think ...

Thats not infomation, thats hear-say!

Ok, i've (and others) have been patient, but here is some advice :

When posting either ask a question, or state your opinion and ask people to discuss.

Posting facts (that no-one can dispute, such as the original post) does nothing for debate, wont teach people anything and doesn't open minds.

I only say this as you have had many posts like this, and to be honest I'm a little tired of them.
    Don't feel like I'm treatening you, or anything similar because I'm not.
    If any-one feels this is out of order, please say so and say why and I will listen.
  • Options
    cp....don't blame me cause the war is seen as moral, in the interests of people in the UK, America and Iraq. I agree war is a horrible thing.

"estimated" because no one knows how many people Saddam had in jail or tortured. That was the moral reason Tony Blair gave for going to war.

People in the peace movement have no solutions....just the same old rants they've lost newsworthiness.
  • Options

don't blame me cause the war is seen as moral, in the interests of people in the UK, America and Iraq. I agree war is a horrible thing.

Err.. I didn't.

"estimated" because no one knows how many people Saddam had in jail or tortured.

Just because no-one else knows is not a good reason to give wooly infomation out and claiming it is a statistic.

People in the peace movement have no solutions....just the same old rants they've lost newsworthiness.

I think the problem is not lack of solutions, but the prioritization of the problems.
    Does lacking newsworthiness somehow invalidate the solution?

OR

But the U.S. gov. solution for Iraq problem is the same as for afgahnistan problem, and the drugs problem and the somalia problem and more or less the same back to the cold war.

(actuallyI think the first answer to that was better, but the second still deserves to be said)