Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who is the UK's natural ally?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Off of Sky News.
Who is the UK's natural ally?
Expires:22 Apr 2003

USA 58.86%

Europe 19.01%

Both 11.80%

Neither 10.31%

Posted here cause it would make for a discussion or because I liked the results. :naughty:

Comments

• Options
    Europe is made up of so many countries though - why just class it as EUROPE!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

That's exactly the point. Europe isn't united. The EU is an attempt for that, but so far the States are much more of a common factor, than Europe will be in the near future.
    Therefore it is easier to view the US as an ally, as it's "one", and not thought of as a lot of different states.
  • Options

So if you split the EU into it's components, do you think that any individual member state would register a 58% rating, like the US has?

Is anyone actually surprised by this "information"?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    So if you split the EU into it's components, do you think that any individual member state would register a 58% rating, like the US has?

Is anyone actually surprised by this "information"?

Not at all coming from a Murdoch organisation. Somewhat inevitable I think, I also would say it's one of those Sky News Active and website polls which as we all know "are not indicative of public opinion". I admit the US would come out on top but ask the same people the question "Is George Bush Britain's greatest ally?" and see how those numbers change! It's all in the question - there are lies, damned lies and Sky News opinion polls! ;)
  • Options
    Why is the 'special relationship' so important to you? What benefits result from it?
  • Options
    Wrong pole monocrat. This was a pole of brits. Although, I think the Brits who picked the US are right...we are your most reliable ally. Every adult I've ever heard names Britian as a "friend" that's the term used.
  • Options
    The thing is - most Americans think the UK is called England and that Ireland, Wales and Scotland are part of England so why should we trust or believe them when they say Britain is its friend!! :naughty:
  • Options
    The thing is - most Americans think the UK is called England and that Ireland, Wales and Scotland are part of England so why should we trust or believe them when they say Britain is its friend!! :naughty:

Actually, I think a lot of English people think that too. And we are not likely to consider Europe that close a friend, certainly not for the foreseeable future. It's something we've inherited from generation upon generation of ancestors, for whom invading France was a nice way to pass the time (Crecy, Agincourt, Blenheim....ah, the list goes on forever) :)
  • Options
    The UK is 80% English. Also in America when we think of diversity, we think of a different racial groups...not people of different kingdoms who are now united.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The UK is 80% English. Also in America when we think of diversity, we think of a different racial groups...not people of different kingdoms who are now united.

I reckon its probably the same in the UK these days PNJ as well. Its become a kind of melting pot these days as well. When the british press speaks of diversity they also mean on levels such as racial groupings, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation... that type of thing. Some people have different opinions on the whole topic but I'd say its a pretty diverse nation these days. same applies for most european countries. particularly France, Netherlands, Germany etc, which have also had large numbers of immigrants as well.
  • Options
    Well, of course, I posted this here because I liked reading this poll on Sky News.

Jon, I think since France is supposedly 7% Muslim now that that's why they were against the war...even though Saddam and sons were not true Muslims.
  • Options
    7% is only a small fraction of the French population that was against this war, just as the muslim percentages in the majority of European and Western countries were not the lion's share of the overall opposition.
  • Options
    Yep, there has been quite a lot of muslim immigration into France, so 7% sounds about right.

Strangely enough I reckon the UK's natural allies lie within the commonwealth, as we still share a common monarch.

Countries like Australia and New Zealand are definitely natural allies, due to a shared history and a culture which has more similarities on a culinary and historical level as well as closer language ties. Countries such as India and many of the carribean nations also have strong ties with Britain, although whether they are natural allies is not as certain.

I think Europeans have a lot more respect for the British than the British show back to them. These days, I think they are probably closer allies than we think. I mean, perhaps not the french, but there is still a lot of respect for the British in Europe.

Not to say there isn't a link to the US either. Just pointing out, perhaps we shouldn't write off our European neighbours just yet.

(edited to correct some pathetic spelling errors!!)
  • Options
    New Zealand was against the war. Wierd huh? And knocked Australians for supporting it.

I agree, most of Europe was on our side. After 9/11 the Queen said: "we are the same people". I think that's true...not just in terms of ethnicity but in the way we view the world, freedom and morality. The more I learn about Saddam and sons, the more I see this war as moral.
  • Options
    Actually most of Europe was opposed to this war. You must be taking a crash course in history revision.
  • Options
    Actually most of Europe was opposed to this war.

Not true. And a good portion of Europe had specialized troops in Iraq too.

France, Germany and Belguim have been marginalized. They are no longer seen as leaders...even within their own countries. Their economies will suffer this year not because of the organized boycotte of their goods...but by the general disgust at "appeasement" Europe and its lack of care for America's welfare.
  • Options
    Nice opinion. Still no bearing on the truth.

For the last time, you have zero qualifications or firsthand experience anywhere in Europe. When you do perhaps youll be able to back up your claims with more than wishful thinking.

The minority of EU govts as well as the vast minority of the European general public supported the unilateralist approach adopted by Washington over this. More than 80% of the general populace across Europe were diametrically opposed.

looking back for your information:

http://www.nbc6.net/news/1882168/detail.html
  • Options
    Chirac called Bush today. The French are going to be pragmatic regarding Iraq. I don't know if the French are more reserved or arrogant than the British or if they feel it isn't their place...but the Brit's PR is always on target. The French have done nothing to make their case for being against the war to the American public. I'm amazed at that. I'd bet many Americans don't know how much the French have shared information regarding Al Qaeda.
  • Options
    With the last Iraqi crises England send very clear message to the world who her major ally is. In fact I'm glad it is so because only without UK obstruction inside EU the creation of the powerful continental battle wall Paris-Berlin-Moscow shall be possible.
    The birth of the new European fortress shall ultimately bring hope to the destruction of Anglo-American imperialist Zionism.
  • Options
    You've been copying words off of clandestine again
    Do you even know what zionism is?

"A Jewish movement that arose in the late 19th century in response to growing anti-Semitism and sought to reestablish a Jewish homeland in Palestine."
    "Modern Zionism is concerned with the support and development of the state of Israel"

So explain exactly how this new European Superstate going to stop that?
  • Options
    I must say DB, I didnt quite get the point of what he was saying either. :confused:
  • Options
    The USA PJ.

and very proud of it to. :)
  • Options
    I'm proud the UK is our best friends too Semper.

Ah Kurgan. Might want to drop Moscow from your friends-of-UK list. Last Fall, 2002, Russian special ops troops trained Iraqis in espionage in training camps in Syria.

I'm posting this as a topic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I'm proud the UK is our best friends too Semper.

Ah Kurgan. Might want to drop Moscow from your friends-of-UK list. Last Fall, 2002, Russian special ops troops trained Iraqis in espionage in training camps in Syria.

I'm posting this as a topic.

One word. Evidence. Just because somebody says something doesn't automatically make it true. PNJ I could tell you it's 1987 - doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    The thing is - most Americans think that Ireland, Wales and Scotland are part of England

They are ;):D
  • Options
    The thing is - most Americans think that Ireland, Wales and Scotland are part of England

"They are. "

Ebb

I'm not saying a thing. Blahaaaaaaaaaa:lol:
  • Options
    The thing is - most Americans think the UK is called England and that Ireland, Wales and Scotland are part of England

You think that only Americans think that?
    Make a poll and most foreigners won't be able to differ between Great Britain, England and the UK.

But ok, we'll focuse on the ignorance of Americans only. Even though that ignorance is commonly shared by most other nationalities.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb
    They are ;):D

To all intents and purposes, yes, they are. Think about it. With the exception of a few relatively unimportant matters that are decided on by devolved bodies like the Scottish Parliament, policy for the entire UK is made by Westminster. Now, how much influence do Welsh and Scottish MPs have on parliament as a whole? With the exception of the Rt Hon Gordon Brown, probably not much at all. I believe there are 72 seats in the commons representing Scotland, 40 for Wales, 18 for Northern Ireland, and 529 for England. That should tell you how much the UK is dominated by England, at least politically.
  • Options
    I think it's good to recognize different peoples within a country, but the UK is 80% English and it should be o.k. to take pride in that too.