Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Arab street hasn't accepted the real loss.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think few people in the world would see the end of Saddam's time as a loss. But the Arab street in many countries seems to be unable to accept the real loss: all of the Arabs who fought the US and Brits.

Watching CNN was such a learning experience. Every so often, they'd have a weapon come up on the screen so you knew what they were talking about. And I remember one battle in the desert in southern Iraq was going badly because of fierce fighting. So first the US bombed. Then they used a plane called the worthog. It has all automatic guns on it's wings. So every quarter meter or so of ground gets a bullet. The area is called a kill zone. That was it for the Iraqi troops. Not to mention the bombs for those who defended Baghadad. Or pickup truckloads of jihadists.

The Arab Street doesn't know why Saddam's loyalists didn't fight. They did. They fought. And they died.

And that's just one of the horrors of war I realized for the first time.

Comments

• Options
    Fighting in defense of one's country or regime isnt jihad pnj. You had best learn the proper connotations for the terms you employ. This wasn't fundamentalist extremism we were battling, it was nationalism to the core.
  • Options
    But my point is that the Arab Street hasn't accepted that people did fight. The fights didn't last long because of the technologies employed. Jihad was in reference to the guys with the pick up trucks full of guys who jumped out, raced towards tanks and were mowed down.

As a percentage, I don't believe people were "nationalistic" regarding Saddam's Iraq. That's why there's resentment towards the UN within Iraq. In other worlds France Germany and Belguim made points with the Arab Street and loss points with Iraqis. (including Kurds).
  • Options
    Those guys in the pickups were Saddms Fedayin and also Baath party loyalists. Netiehr of which had any association ot the principle of jihad. Like i said before, stop misusing the odd term you might have learned since your political awakening. Those who fought in Iraq did not fight out a sense of jihad. None of them were fundamentalist extremists.
  • Options
    Jihad generally refers to an inner spiritual struggle. The term has been used by extremists to justify their actions.

THe Syrians, Egyptians, and others who crossed Iraq's borders to fight were indeed extremists.

What in heavens name were you referring to when yo mentioned nationalist to the core"? Many were fighting because they were compelled to fight. Some fought because they were die hard Baath facists! THe AMERICANS are liberators not conquerers.

ASK THE IRAQI PEOPLE!!!!!:yes: :wave: