Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How Do You Know

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you know if you might have a real problem with drinking? I think that I might have a problem with alcohol because I have been drinking so much ever since I have turned 21 on February 3 of this year.
Sometimes I think that I might like black out and not remember doing something at that time and then the next morning I find out that I did something and don't remember doing it.
I kind of don't want to face it, but I just don't know what to do or what to think about what's going on.
Thank you to anyone, in advance, who might be of some help.

MySuffice21

Comments

• Options
    Re: How Do You Know
    Originally posted by MySuffice21
    How do you know if you might have a real problem with drinking? I think that I might have a problem with alcohol because I have been drinking so much ever since I have turned 21 on February 3 of this year.
    Sometimes I think that I might like black out and not remember doing something at that time and then the next morning I find out that I did something and don't remember doing it.
    I kind of don't want to face it, but I just don't know what to do or what to think about what's going on.
    Thank you to anyone, in advance, who might be of some help.

MySuffice21
    21. you have a problem. the fact you are concerned enough to ask the question is your answer.
    accept there is a problem and get a grip of things now ...while you still can. you may not actualy be an alcoholic but your relationship with a very powerful chemical is on dangerous ground. make it safe ...like now!
  • Options
    Are you drinking on week days or limiting it to weekends ?
  • Options
    ariel I
  • Options
    I have drank, quite a few times, during the week, and also the weekend.

Is that bad or am I just crazy?

MySuffice21
  • Options
    Are you drinking with mates or on your own?

are you lying about how much you drink?

do you find yourself drinking to get drunk, or even panic drinking in the pub so that you end up as drunk as possible by leaving time?

are you getting more and more embarassed about your actions under the influence of alcohol?

ask yourself some of these questions and you may find the answer to your initial question.

everything in moderation is your safest bet!
  • Options
    How much your drinking or when your drinking isnt really the issue, the fact that your concerned about your actions while drinking and the fact that your worried about being addicted are pointers to say that you need to do something.

I wouldnt say that you need to cut booze out of your life for ever, just have a break and see how you feel about it. Just because its legal doesnt mean it wont ruin your life.
  • Options
    you know youve got a drinking problem when you ring your daughter and her sons up at all hours and complain and talk to them for literally hours on end

[my mates nan lol]
  • Options
    Originally posted by duffy_2k

[my mates nan lol]
    keep an eye on your old nan duffy. she's got an inhaler.
  • Options
    Dear MySuffice21

Dunno if you have a 'real problem' as you haven't specified why it is that you're drinking so much?
    As it could be any number of reasons, both good or bad, I would suggest that you set yourself a little test.
    Speaking from experience, you seldom start asking yourself questions about boozing until you've drunk yourself into trouble.

To determine your dependance upon drink, as you can never tell in just volume terms 'cos we've all got different tolerances, simply try and stop drinking for a period of time and grade your reaction. I would imagine it will fall somewhere between these two:
    -do you feel physically ill from not drinking?
    -is it no so bad after all?
    The length of time before you feel you can no longer cope without a drink is a good indicator as to whether or not 'you are the consumer or whether drink is consuming you'

If you are drinking because of something specific, just to numb the pain or to forget - this is where I was, and it becomes a neverending downward spiral - then you need to talk to someone, anyone, and at least try and lighten your emotional load. Hopefully this will give you a small breathing space to try and start addressing the problem; or if it's something you cannot change, then at least come to terms with it, at least to the point where you can cope without using booze as your emotional crutch. I can promise you this, drink will let you down eventually, please don't ever wait until its too late before asking for professional help.

I wish I had asked for help sooner. My moral would probably be: 'the further you let drink take you, the longer and more lonely the walk back.'