Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

France, Germany, Russia Syria banned from Iraqi contracts.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030404/bs_afp/iraq_war_us_politics_030404120349

This amendment sends a signal to our allies that we appreciate those who support us in our time of need and remember those that have sought to thwart coalition efforts to defeat Saddam Hussein's regime," Nethercutt said of his measure.

"The coalition of the unwilling should not participate in reconstruction with US tax dollars," he added.

Comments

• Options
    And the main point to consider in that article is just how greatly this administration is willing to drive our country into unrelenting debt to secure its conquest unto itself entirely.

So the nearly one year of rhetoric and magnanimous claims to being the champions of international justice boils down to the real truth (argued all along) that this is a unilateralist and imperialist domination and plundering of the first of many Middle Eastern countries.

Don't be surprised when only UK and US oil companies get all the contracts.

Liberation my arse! appropriation and assimilation are more accurate terms.

Hmmm.... B is for Bush, B is for Borg, resistance is futile in both cases.... (and people wonder why the hatred is increasing) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think educated adults in the US are a bit alarmed at how we've moved away from Allies. And the Fox News Channel is just hateful. They said last night when we're done with Turkey, they'll use their money for wall paper. I thought: and that will be good because...Y?

Also, what's the point of Powell running around Europe to mend fences when this kind of legislation is passed? Also, since Europe invests a trillion a year in the US economy, is this anyway to treat a good customer. And also, also, if you are in government, aren't you supposed to be diplomatic? So why won't Bush take any calls from the Chancellor of Germany since November? Isn't that his job? Same with the PM of Canada and President of Mexico? There's threats to mess up Canada's economy with trade barriers and do the same with Mexico. And if we were to mess up those economies that would be good for us because Y?
  • Options
    As you rightly noted some time ago pnj, this current admin is achieving its most resounding support from the mid-west, where the principles of neo-conservatism and neo-isolationism have their roots.

The thing to consider is how the electorate can allow the agenda of a section of the country which is so removed by distance in either direction from the outside world. This "nesting" of anti-international (and dare I say "anti-intellectual") opinion is what is blindly driving a wedge between ourselves and the rest of the world.

Can the nation afford another four years of this ignorant agenda? No it cannot. Will it nevertheless vote this corrupt self serving cadre back in next year? I fear it likely so.

And the nation will suffer even more in due course because of it.
  • Options
    Will it nevertheless vote this corrupt self serving cadre back in next year? I fear it likely so.

And will the rise of the Fox Network's, conservative, tabloid style of journalism and activism( they give out emails of liberals on t.v. and encourage viewers to write and mostly accuse them of being anti-American) have influenced the election? More than I can explain to people who didn't experience the fear that has driven the US since 9/11.

There was a news report on the Internet that there have been NO credible threats from Al Qaeda since we began the war in Iraq. I'll bet that won't be carried on the Fox Network. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it and post it here.

Meantime fear and anger is going to drive the world into a recession. My friend's mom is a travel agent and she said no one wants to go to Europe because they hate us. That ignorant thought is coming from the President on down.
  • Options
    Re: France, Germany, Russia Syria banned from Iraqi contracts.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030404/bs_afp/iraq_war_us_politics_030404120349

This amendment sends a signal to our allies that we appreciate those who support us in our time of need and remember those that have sought to thwart coalition efforts to defeat Saddam Hussein's regime," Nethercutt said of his measure.

"The coalition of the unwilling should not participate in reconstruction with US tax dollars," he added.

So the US government sees it fit to 'punish' France and Germany economically and financially buy not allowing them any rights to rebuild post war Iraq?
  • Options
    I wouldnt grow too self assured about the end to terrorist violence. What we have more likely is the calm before an even greater storm. Remember these guys can and do go to ground for however long it takes for people to grow smug and self assured once again before resuming their attacks.

This is the great failure with our fad culture. If it isnt in the news for a while, it is largely ignored.

Yes ive no doubt Fox will do their darndest to sway the electorate to the right wing mantra of idiocy and ignorance. Hopefully the economy will prove his undoing as it did his father's.
  • Options
    NB This applies to US funded programs.

Suggest that these countries aplly the same rules to their own funding...