Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Iraq banishes Al Jazeera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This kind of dovetails with Mr Roll's "up Saddam's Sleeve" thread.

The Iraqi regime has stopped Al Jazeera from broadcasting, or reporting in Iraq.

Why?

Could it be that they know the Arab world believes Al J and that the reporting over the next few days will make it clear to everyone that Iraq has been lying for sometime - whether that is on the issue of where the US forces are, or something else.

What is it that Iraq doesn't want the Arab world to see?

Comments

• Options
    That thought hadn't occurred to me. It is entirely possible though.

I just thought Saddam wasn't happy about Al Jazeera showing news of Iraqi defeats. Contrary to what many people believe Al Jazeera is relatively independent and it is not pretending Iraq is winning the war hands-down like Saddam claims. Perhaps Hussein is outraged at this act of treachery from an Arab 'brother' institution?

I can't see what Saddam has to hide to be honest. Nor I can believe for a second he would unleash chemical weapons in Baghdad. Not that he appears to have any, anyway. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Surely the first thing he would have done is kisk out the wetsern journalists?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Surely the first thing he would have done is kisk out the wetsern journalists?

Why, do you think that people "trust" these organisations?

If something happens, he can claim that it is "western/israeli" lies, and who do you think that Arab nations would believe. Without Al J that is?

Now, if Al J reported the same thing...

Just loko at recent outpourings from the disIformation Ministry in Iraq - US Troops are no where near Baghdad, being defeated etc. Whilst his people believe him, and don't have any other source that they trust (i.e. Al J) then his message will get through...
  • Options
    I think Arabs have more intelligence than you credit them with, If they see the use of WMD then it would be difficult to beleive it was anything else.

Surely the banning itself is enough to raise suspicion in itself?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I think Arabs have more intelligence than you credit them with

It's not that I don't credit them with any intelligence, just that if the information isn't provided... if you only have one source of information...

Let me ask you this, is you had no other information source than The Sun what do you think that your view of the world would be?
  • Options
    True but you suggested that the Arabs know what is being reported by wetsern media, just that they don't trust it, hence Saddam's move to ban AJ........

That thing about the Sun is too scary....:nervous:
  • Options
    Recall though, MoK, that when something is formally forbidden, it merely creates opportunity for people to subvert the interdiction all the more.

Do not believe that even under the most heinous repression, people do not have access to what is really going on, both at home as well as abroad.

As a father you should realise how clever the mind of those under another's authority can be.
  • Options
    Let me ask you this, is you had no other information source than The Sun what do you think that your view of the world would be?

*whistles, looks up a sky innocently*

Fox has been bashing them. But they wanted to have some reporters embedded with the US troops and the Pentagon denied them. They have plans to be seen in America soon on cable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Fox has been bashing them. But they wanted to have some reporters embedded with the US troops and the Pentagon denied them. They have plans to be seen in America soon on cable.

Bashing who? Al J? Or The Sun?

Al J is already available on satellite over here...

@ Clandestine, I know they have the ability to hear other news stories, but not widely done - part through fear and partly through capability.
  • Options
    "Could it be that they know the Arab world believes Al J and that the reporting over the next few days will make it clear to everyone that Iraq has been lying for sometime - whether that is on the issue of where the US forces are, or something else."

Yup.

"What is it that Iraq doesn't want the Arab world to see?"

The end.

I was on a blog site. And this guy said "Saddam has finally come up with a weapon that stops US tanks in their tracks: have thousands of Iraqi soldiers surrendering...we can't move or we'll run someone over."
  • Options
    Iraq Lifts Ban on Al-Jazeera Reporters

DOHA, Qatar - The Iraqi Ministry of Information lifted its ban against two correspondents for the Arab satellite network Al-Jazeera and said the pair could resume broadcasting from Baghdad, the Qatar-based news agency said Friday.

First they're out. Then they're back. Then they're out. Then they're back.:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Ah I get it, its a square dance!
  • Options
    haaaa. I just went to their site. It's too biased.
  • Options
    No more or less so than our news agencies. Remember its the nature of corporate news to spin spins spin.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    haaaa. I just went to their site. It's too biased.

And the tripe Fox spouts out isnt, of course?