Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women and jewellery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This thread will undoubtedly prove my ignorance of women (I am, after all, a man), but I will continue regardless.

Women tend to put great effort into dressing up to go out of an evening, particularly in clothing. They also tend to wear more jewellery than normally – sometimes in huge amounts. Why is this? Is it to make themselves look more attractive, like clothing, or perhaps it is to increase their confidence because they consider themselves to look particularly nice?

The women whom wear excessive jewellery really are, in my opinion, big turn-offs, for it all looks tacky and it suggests that they are 'hard.'

What are your opinions on this?

Comments

• Options
    Personally, i don't wear anymore than normall, i like a little but not too much so. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Personally, i don't wear anymore than normall, i like a little but not too much so. :confused:

Yeah i'm the same. I don't know many women who wear a lot more jewellery than usual when going out. Most may wear a necklace or braclet when they don't for everyday wear but that's it. *shrugs*
  • Options
    Usually people who wear excess jewellery are being forced to be socially accepted, really. They subsidise for nice houses, kitchens, and cars. This isn't always the case, and I'm sure they have reasons, but that is my POV. And yes, it does look tacky, less is truely more. :D I dunno, I talk bollocks.
  • Options
    I guess it just depends on the crowd you hang out with.
  • Options
    I don't wear MORE jewellry than normal when going out, just different jewellry - it has to match what I'm wearing!
  • Options
    I wear too much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    I wear too much.

Why? Is it to make yourself look more pretty, or to aid your confidence, or what? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost

Why? Is it to make yourself look more pretty, or to aid your confidence, or what? :confused:

Its more to do with fitting in with my image.

It doesnt make me look prettier but confidence is probably one reason.
  • Options
    I don't wear a lot more jewellery when I go out in the evening, but yes it has to go with my clothes! So I usually change my jewellery with my outfits.

One thing I do do differently is I wear more makeup - and that's for the same reasons as you were talking about; to make myself look prettier and to increase my confidence.
  • Options

It doesnt make me look prettier but confidence is probably one reason.

It's funny. Cause the second I try to wear more than the necklace I usually wear, I feel uncomfortable, and want to take it off immedeately.
  • Options

Its more to do with fitting in with my image.

And what is your image? This is a good learning curve!
  • Options
    Do you mean the people who wear like...3 rings on each finger, 4 or 5 chains and massive earrings? Loads of people at my college wear things like that, I always wonder why :-/ cos it doesnt look that nice! Less is more hehe!

I usually just wear a silver necklace and stud earrings everyday, I can't be doing with rings cos they bug me! I always end up losing them too.
  • Options
    hmmm i dont wear too much usually just a simple necklace, bracelet and earings....but i only wear it wen i'm bothered!
  • Options
    I usually wear a diamond ring on my wedding ring finger and a russian wedding ring on my thumb. I wear a watch and one friendship bracelet. I also wear a beaded choker through the day. That is all.

When I go out the beads are replaced with a necklace - usually something a little gothic. :)
  • Options

And what is your image? This is a good learning curve!

Hmm well during the day i wear *counts* 6 gold rings, and one pair of gold hoops.

But if im going out it usually goes to 6 rings, 2 pairs of hoops, 6 bracelets, 3 or 4 necklaces etc etc

Its all to do with the image. And i think you can guess what the kinda image is :p
  • Options

And i think you can guess what the kinda image is

Hard, common tart eh? Swearing your mouth off down the street whilst shaking your fist and pushing a pram. lmao :D :rolleyes: :p
  • Options

Hard, common tart eh? :D :rolleyes: :p

I also would have accepted gypsy :p
  • Options

Its all to do with the image. And i think you can guess what the kinda image is :p
    A shop window dummy? :D

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I wear two rings, one is my engagement ring, jewellery in my eyebrow and earrings. Thats it. Ever.
  • Options
    My fiance wears what some people would classify as 'hippy' jewellery - mainly stuff she has made herself so it is very unique.

I agree with LacyMay that a lot of people wear lots of it to fit in with an image, most commonly the "common tart" image described by Mobily's Ghost.
  • Options
    some girls wear more than others...it depends on your tastes...and i suppose it depends on the kind of boy you are as to whether you like lots of jewellry or not. personally you're quite lucky to see me in jewellry...i do occasionally wear a necklace and/or a friendship bracelet a good friend gave me but apart form that, nothing. i would perhaps wear a ring if someone special enough gave me one though! i think jewellry is more of a kind of statement sort of thing about you.
    The Silly String
  • Options
    i tend to wear a lot of jewellery but it never looks tacky cos its silver. i have 3 holes in each ear, in my left ear i have, going from top to bottom, a stud, a small hoop, and a larger hoop.
    in my right ear i have, a stud, a small hoop, and a playboy bunny belly bar.

on my right hand i have a diamond ring a baby ring on the same finger but just at the top cos it wont fit over my knuckle, and a ring which symbolises my star sign.
    on my left hand i have,a plain siver band with a ensription on the instide saying "tink101 4 zella", a ying yang ring and on my pinky i have a sil ring with a black heart on it.

i also wear a dragon necklace that Danny got me for V-day.

it might sound like a lot but it looks good and if i dnt wear it i feel naked.
  • Options
    Well lasses that wear a lot of gold jewellry I think look how they are steriotyped as 'hard' *whatever* (sorry if any1 here wears it but Im entitled to my own opinion :) )

I just wear a necklace, a ring and a bracelet. All silver of course :D I did have a watch before but it bust.

Women put on more jewellry cos we like to accesorise and it looks good with what were wearing. Altho I wear the same stuff all the time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella

it might sound like a lot but it looks good and if i dnt wear it i feel naked.
    Yep, it does sound like a lot of jewelry. However, I can sort of see what you mean about being naked without jewelry.
    My body jewelry makes me feel just that little bit less naked when naked. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    When I go out I wear different jewellery to what I wear in the daytime, but it's not MORE, it's normally just my nicer stuff, or just different to match the clothes. I normally just wear a silver necklace, and maybe a silver bracelet and some earrings...i don't wear rings though.
  • Options
    Oh I love jewellery. I make about 80% of mine though, from beads etc. I like my jewellery to be unique and individual - I suppose it's a hippy/antique/retro/funky/accesorize type stle, I don't think it could be classified. I have my mum's jewellery from when she was at college and it's really cool - people ask me where I got it from "30 years ago!". It's a passion of mine and I have ridiculous amounts, I dread to think how much I spend. I love colours, textures, sparkly pretty things...I'm like a magpie. heh. I hate gold though. Infact I detest it. It looks stupid on me anyway as I'm so pale.

Anywho in answer to your question: In the day I wear a few rings, studs and a few bracelets, maybe a necklace - it depends on what I'm wearing. At night when I'm out the same but definitely a necklace and earrings too. I feel naked without any jewellery. The only times I don't wear any is when I'm slobbing at home or having sex (it gets in the way).

I have a sad, sad obsession.