Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,

Im already on anti - depressants at the moment i have been for 4 weeks but they seem to be slowly helping the depression but they dont seem to be sorting my anxiety problems.

I have to go back to the doctors in about 2 weeks time and i plan to tell him all this and hope to get some medication maybe?
Does anyone know what he might say and offer me?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    He will probably tell you to give the tablets time to work. Good luck.
  • Options
    certain brands of anti-depressants, such as seroxat and cipramil, are known to help anxiety and depression together, so if you're not on one of these, he might want to switch you.

usually it take up to 4 weeks for the drugs to help with depression, but it can take 6 weeks or longer for them to help with anxiety... so he might encourage you to stay on them a bit longer...

he might suggest therapy, especially if your anxiety is from a specific phobia or social phobia.

the problem with drugs designed specifically for anxiety is that they tend to be very addictive, have a lot of side effects, and generally do more harm than good in the long run.

from experience i would say try EVERY other option before trying anti-anxiety drugs.
  • Options
    Legal Junkie im on cipramil.
    So they take 6 weeks to help anxiety well there may be some hope for me yet then...

I suffer from social phobia i do have it quite bad.

I went out last night and didnt have a good night because of the anxiety and the paranoia afterwards i got in bed my mind went on a downer and i started thinking bout getting tranqs because i feel so desperate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Space Cadet
    Legal Junkie im on cipramil.
    So they take 6 weeks to help anxiety well there may be some hope for me yet then...

I suffer from social phobia i do have it quite bad.

I went out last night and didnt have a good night because of the anxiety and the paranoia afterwards i got in bed my mind went on a downer and i started thinking bout getting tranqs because i feel so desperate.

I was on this one last year & it seems to make you feel more anxious to start but then it does help. Keep with it, it can take a while to work. It did with me.
  • Options
    Good quality counselling might be more helpful than drugs if you suffer from anxiety.

http://www.thesite.org/info/health/anxiety_and_stress/
  • Options
    I had the same problem.. i was put on to Diazepam (which they also use for alcoholics and insomnia) ... but like it got pointed out. Very addictive and they may only prescribe a short course. Try talking to your doctor or shrink (whoever prescribed your other medication) about diazepam. From my own experience i wouldnt reccomend seroxat to help both.. it didnt help me with my anxiety. but then, everybody responds differently so it might work for you.
  • Options
    Seroxat are quite dodgy ain't they? I have a really good book on anxiety an phobia's...Helps quite a bit..Can't member the name but I'll jot dwn the mae of it and perhaps you can take a look at it.
  • Options
    I also deal with anxiety and depression. I am on an anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety medication. I think that my anti-anxiety medication does help, but, in my opinion, I don't think that I'm addicted or becoming addicted to my anti-anxiety medication.

I'm not saying that everyone and anyone would or would not get addicted to an anti-anxiety, but I guess it just depends on the person and how well they can handle certain medications.

MySuffice21
  • Options
    Sorry to bring this thread up again (i know it's quite old).

About 18 months ago I started haviong anxiety attacks, and I've been on citalopram (the stuff that's in cipramil) for over a year. It did take a while to work, but I can honestly say that there is a definite improvement. I thought going to uni would be hell, but they have made everything so much easier. They do take time, but in the end they do work.