Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vitamins

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am looking at eating more healthily and maybe taking some extra suppliments.

How do I know what I need or where I am loosing out on vitamins in my daily diet, or is it best to go fo one of those multi-vitamin brands.

Also does anyone take codliver oil tablets, do they work ? I have creaky joints and have heard these could help ?

Comments

• Options
    Go for multi-vitamins. You shouldn't analyse what vitamins you lack in your diet and then replace that with a vitamin - you should only use them as a supplement and keep a healthy diet alongside that. A vit C tablet a day doesn't go amiss, especially in the winter to protect you from colds etc!
  • Options
    Yeah I take multi vitamins, for general suplementation [word?] of my diet.

I also take Zinc to prevent spots+strengthen hair and skin generally, and magnesium to aid muscle growth. God knows if eitherdo anything,but I'm not paying for them so who cares! Although I have read that the buffers they use in these pills can cause adverse reactions.

And yeah I also take cod liver oil and calcium pills, cos I have "creaky" (well, more clicky than creaky) joints including my jaw, but to be honest over the couple of months I have I haven't noticed much of a difference- doesn't mean it won't work for you though!

good luck :)
  • Options
    I use to have superteds when I was young they rocked :D But yeh I think if you have a balanced diet then multi-vitamins are the best to take.
  • Options
    Originally posted by carlito
    Yeah I take multi vitamins, for general suplementation [word?] of my diet.

I also take Zinc to prevent spots+strengthen hair and skin generally, and magnesium to aid muscle growth. God knows if eitherdo anything,but I'm not paying for them so who cares! Although I have read that the buffers they use in these pills can cause adverse reactions.

And yeah I also take cod liver oil and calcium pills, cos I have "creaky" (well, more clicky than creaky) joints including my jaw, but to be honest over the couple of months I have I haven't noticed much of a difference- doesn't mean it won't work for you though!

good luck :)

Just came across this old post, is it true about the Zinc helping to reduce spots? If so in what dosage? I've looked up some sites and they say maximum is about 50mg a day but taking Zinc can lead to a copper deficieny so you need to take copper as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Just came across this old post, is it true about the Zinc helping to reduce spots? If so in what dosage? I've looked up some sites and they say maximum is about 50mg a day but taking Zinc can lead to a copper deficieny so you need to take copper as well.

I'm not sure what dosage mate, you can get loads of different types of zinc supplements and stuff, like pure zinc, zinc oxide and crap.

But I've read SO many sources saying that you should take zinc for spots and general good complexion.

From my own experience I thought it definately helped, although to be honest I really couldnt be sure because I took it during a "drive" (exersize, lots of water, good diet, etc) so it might not have been that in particular! But the "drive" definately worked!
  • Options
    The trouble with these spot cures is they usually takes months to work, I tried some stuff callled clear complexion the main ingredients being blue flag, Burdock root, and sarsaparilla ...

It's hard to tell which works and which don't you can be spot free for weeks and then suddenly break out ... I think chocolate is a big factors in the sudden appearence of new spots.

Any tips on getting rid of the scares it leaves behind? They do fade eventually but takes ages. Although they only fade onmy face, I'm guessing because of washing, etc, the ones on my back have stayed for years, but recently bought a back scruber which I think helps to remove dead skin.
  • Options
    Cod liver oil's definitely worth taking. I take it for arthritis, but as well as joints it has other benefits as well (I think it can be good for skin/hair something like that!). And I take Vitamin C every day, which has been working miracles (I've just got my first cold for about 4 months...coming from someone who used to get them every month!).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tates
    Cod liver oil's definitely worth taking. I take it for arthritis, but as well as joints it has other benefits as well (I think it can be good for skin/hair something like that!). And I take Vitamin C every day, which has been working miracles (I've just got my first cold for about 4 months...coming from someone who used to get them every month!).
    but be careful with what brand of CLO, the liver is the organ that detoxifies, so your average cod with its little liver swimming through a sea so thick with chemicals that it doesn't know what sex it is anymore, might not be the best thing to swallow.
    also read the ingreadients.

Claims about the properties of individual nutrients are an almost daily occurrence. It is not unusual for people to be taking multiple supplements, some of which are simply not appropriate for their situation. Do not take too many supplements, but instead consult a nutritionist/naturopath so that you know exactly what, why and when to supplement. Here is a basic guide.

1. Remember that supplements are still pills which require breaking down by the liver. Taking too many will stress the liver, which is likely to be already overworked by pollution and chemicals. Investigate powders made from dried foods and herbs, that are more easily absorbed by the body.

2. Always chose a good quality supplement, as some compounds of minerals do not release their whole nutrient level. For example. a carbonate compound might seem good value, but will release only 20 % of its content ( i.e 100 mg will deliver only 20 mg ). The more expensive citrate compound will release up to 45% of the mineral, making it more efficient and probably better value too.

3. Supplements should usually be taken with food for increased assimilation. The exception to this rule are amino acids which are better absorbed away from food, although amino acid supplementation should never be undertaken without professional supervision.

4. A basic supplement programme for most people would include the following vitamins and minerals.

B complex - a combination of B vitamins, vital for energy production, mood enhancement and brain power.
    Vitamin C - an anti-stress nutrient, excellent for stimulating the immune system
    Multi mineral complex - to increase mineral levels. To be taken last thing at night.
    Antioxidants - this compound is vital for increasing the levels of disease-fighting antioxidants in the body.
  • Options
    What do you think of centrum? My cousin brings it for us from Canada or the USA, much cheaper then it is here.
  • Options
    initial reaction - mass produced, but probably better than some. as per my last post have a look at the ingredients...
    or post them here and we will see...

the brands I recommend are
    Biocare
    Nutri
    Bioforce for herbs
    solgar at a push
    higher nature are not too bad
  • Options
    I've started taking a multivitamin recently too, too soon to say if theres any difference in me or not though. (oh, but my nails are a wee bit stronger I think, the tips are kinda whiter too, then again it might just be in my head)
    Just wondering though, I dont eat any meat really apart from the odd bit of chicken. Should I be taking protein tablets? (if there is such thing :confused: ) I eat qourn bout once a week which contains protein but I dont get protein everyday like your meant too. If anyone knows anything bout it let me know pretty please,
    cheers :)
  • Options
    protein everyday... with every meal is even better
    You can get protein powder in a variety of guises. a good health food shop shold help.
    quorn is really good, but expensive
    things you could try are
    tofu
    nuts and seeds
    soya yoghurt (yofu)
    eating more meet
    cottage cheese
  • Options
    What does Chelated mean?

I got some tablets from Holland & Barrett

a combined Calcium - 1000mg, Magnesium-400mg and Zinc tablet-25mg.

Mainly wanted the Zinc for Acne.

I'm only taking 1 a day in addition to my normal multi-vitamin where I think most of the ingredients are 100% of recommend daily amount - although the direction states to take 1 to 3 tablets per day - I thought that much Zinc is Bad for you?

Everything I've read says not more then 55mg of Zinc per day.
  • Options
    Chelation is the pharmaceutical process of bonding each mineral to an amino acid. Apparently this bonding makes it easier to digest and assimilate each nutritive mineral for proper utilization in the body.