Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Names/brands of the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking of going on the pill and I've read thru all the topics on here about it but one thing's really confusing me -

The names it has; some of them sound medical like microgynon 30 etc, but some like dianette and yasmin sound like brands. are any of these actually just the same one, just with a different name? And are there any huge differences between the brands?

Comments

• Options
    I'm on microgynon 30 and its made by Schering which is a company that I think makes a lot of contraceptives including the morning after pill. I would guess that the names are just that...names, but one company will be licenced to make many different named contraceptives. Dunno really but it may be worth checking with your doctor.

Some people find they have to change pill a couple of times as the one they have been prescribed is not right for them.
  • Options
    The different brands have different amounts of each hormone in them - for instance, some are higher in progesterone than oestrogen, some are higher in oestrogen than progesterone and some are more or less equal.

Different amounts suit different people - sometimes depends on height/weight and things like acne or other skin conditions (things which the doctor can see or already know exists) - hence why your doctor will suggest the one they think is right for you when you first ask for it. But sometimes that one particular brand won't suit you too well (may make PMT worse, for example) which your doctor may not have forseen, so you may have to change brands til you find one that's right for you.

I've been on the Pill for nearly two and a half years, and have been on three different brands - the first one I only stayed on for three months, then changed, but the second I was on for over a year before things suddenly got worse, so I changed again. You get there in the end tho! :)
  • Options
    I don't know much about it. I think microgyn 30 is the basic one, which you are usually prescribed when you start on the pill unless there's certain medical history you've got or something, then if that pill doesn't work for you they put you on different types which have different balances of whatever in them.
  • Options
    there are different types of pills... they all have different balances of hormones..

the older 'second generation' pills tend to have dull, medical names (microgynon 30), while the newer 'third generation' pills have flashier names...
  • Options
    so microgynon 30's an old one? thought most people on here seemed to think it was the best...

oh well :) thanks legal junkie i guess the names are just names and its the amount of hormones in the pill that's important. well, i'll see what my doctor says.

thanks people :)
  • Options
    it's older, but it's safe. tried and tested.

there have been numerous health scares around the newer pills.
  • Options
    i started on microgynon, but found it made me put weight on over a period of a year and a half, so i changed to Cilest and ive had no problems :)

they affect different people different ways.
  • Options
    Microgynon 30 is an old pill. My mum was on it in the gap between me and my sister (my sister is 13 now).

I'm on it too, but i'm not sure for how long. I feel sick between meals on it. Has anyone else had this?
  • Options
    The reason why a lot of people get put on Mycrogynon 30 is because a few years ago there was a fresh scare about the third generation pill (I think) and so it was deemed more healthy to prescribe Microgynon which is second generation. Thats why some people may view it as an 'old' pill.
  • Options
    Names are names at the end of the day its one way of telling things apart from one another. Basically every pill is different and some can be more risky than others just go and talk to a female doctor about it all. They can help you probably even more than people on this site can unless they are a docter.
  • Options
    www.netdoctor.co.uk have good listings of generic names and brand names for most medicines.
  • Options
    I'm on Ortho Tricyclen.

I like it. No cramps, breakouts, bloating, uexpected starts. So much better than when I was not on the pill. I start every fourth Sunday afternoon and I'm done by Thursday morning.

It's pretty cheap too...about $12/pack with my insurance.
  • Options
    Ah I forgot you yanks have to pay!! mind you - some people here do think that people in the UK should pay too, to ease the NHS costs...however, the amount of abortions that would then have to be paid for would counter act any funds anyway!!
  • Options
    WHAT?! Are you kidding me? You don't have to pay? Damn you lucky little bastards. :p