Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Brownie games!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This isnt just about brownies but if you are involved in scouting or with youngsters aged 7-10 what games are good.

Im looking at an indoor game with minimal equipment/ with a number of small teams (6 to a team)

If you were a brownie/cub scout/or any other organisation in the above age range what games can you explain to me?

I have searched websites - with little description of games i need an explanation so i can teach it! PLEASE PLEASE HELP! :D

they gotta be sensible safe games! Thankyou guys!

Comments

• Options
    I coach tennis and one game we play is skittles. Just like the traditional skittles game except the kids act as skittles. Divide them into 2. One team line up in a row (the skittles) the others lie up to hit or throw. If your hitting make sure you use the soft sponge balls. The skittles have to stand really still if they get hit they sit down, hit again lie down, hit again arm up, etc etc. That might not make much sense. If it sounds like it might work PM me and ill try to explain better!
  • Options
    I'm assuming you've exhausted all the standard brownie type games like Nervous Queen, Old Maid etc

Am trying hard to remember what we used to play, but not having much success ... well if I remember I'll get back to you!
  • Options
    i'm a young leader at brownies and full of wonderful games to play...drop me line (preferably msn) and i'll giv u a few good games...no equipment required only children....;)

ice_princess666_@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ooh thanx every1!

i would love loads of them cymruangel no never tried them.

im now games co-ordinator different game every week! the joys!;) :D
  • Options
    How about promise relay?

Any energetic games which will ensure only 1 left in it the end?
  • Options
    Im involved in both scouting, and I also help out a local youth group most Saturday's.
    There are numerous games I could explain to you- but instead i'll pm you a few websites and let you have a look for yourself.

Any problems pm and ill try sort them out!
  • Options
    Ooh....how aboutcaptive princess? One of the brownies sits on a chair at one end of the room, tied to it with a bunch of keys underneath the chair. Another 4 are watch guards, but the can't see, just hear things. They sit guarding the path to the princess. All the rest one at a time have to try and quietly sneak up to the princess without the watch guards pointing at them. If they get pointed at then they have to sit down and wait till their next go. When the get to the princess, they have to untie the princess, pick up the keys, take them back to you and then they win.

Or, you could make up a story. The brownies are in the patrol's, each team with the same amount of people, each memeber is a different object/person. You read the story out and whenever their object is said they have to run to one end of the hall and back to their place, who ever wins gains a point for the team. At the end of the story, which ever team has the most points wins.

Erm....wink murder....can be a bit difficult with younger people though.

I'll have a think, can't remember many of our brownie games, more the ones we played in guides, which were a bit rough.
  • Options
    Ok ... um old maid is difficult to teach you as there's a song that goes with it (and I don't have a microphone on my computer!)

Nervous queen is similar to captive princess- one brownie sits on a chair facing a wall, the others are across the room from her. The object is to sneak up on the 'queen' without her hearing you. Everytime the queen hears a noise, she has to shuffle her chair, and the people approaching her stop (and/ or sit down if you want to make this an elimination game)

Pass the squeeze - we used to do this with our brownies at the end of the night and who ever ended up with the squeeze would take an imaginary 'mr squeeze' home with them and have to make up a story of what he did during the week.
    To make it more of a game, you put one person in the middle. Then the others form a circle, holding hands. They pass messages by saying "I'm going to send a message to ..... (whoever)" then its passed round by squeezing hands (in either direction)
    Its the job of the person in the middle to catch the 'message'. If they do, they change places with whoever was squeezing, if they don't they stay in the middle.

*carries on thinking*
  • Options
    Ooh...we used to play pass the squeeze as well at the end of every meeting. I'd forgotten that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Docter Lurve
    Im involved in both scouting, and I also help out a local youth group most Saturday's.
    There are numerous games I could explain to you- but instead i'll pm you a few websites and let you have a look for yourself.

Any problems pm and ill try sort them out!

Thanks
  • Options
    LADDERS!!!! Did anyone else use to play that?

And yes, i'm well aware of how dangerous it's now considered... but it was all part of the fun :D
  • Options
    ok tie one end of wrope to one of them and the other end of rope to another and get them to tie knots theyve leant by co-operating
    the other kids can supervise.
  • Options
    Originally posted by blahger
    ok tie one end of wrope to one of them and the other end of rope to another and get them to tie knots theyve leant by co-operating
    the other kids can supervise.

Sometimes i feel like tying them all up and gagging their mouths :D
  • Options
    lol, in this game they may end up doing it themselves
  • Options
    We used to play one game called hedgehog or something like that.. where everyone had to be on the floor curled up on the floor and then brown owl would go and put a big blanket over one of us and the rest of us all had to guess who it was.

We also used to play a game where we'd have a big circle of string with a cotton reel on it, and we all had to sit in a circle facing inwards and hold the string, and push the cotton reel around it to eachother with our eyes closed. Then when we had to open our eyes, one person would be picked to try and find out who had the cotton reel in their hands. You had 3 guesses and if you got all 3 wrong then you were out, but if you got it right you got to stay in.

Thats all I can remember at the moment
    :)
  • Options
    thanx guys some great games keep em coming :D