Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Giving blood

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I'm feeling guilty I've not been for absolutely ages, because when I went up to Newcastle I registered up there and when I came back home I forgot to change the registration place so have never known when the sessions have been on. Does anyone know the web address where I can find out?

Just out of interest who does give blood regularly and what blood types are you all? I'm A RH Negative.

Comments

• Options
    I've offered to give blood but they don't want mine (sob).

No idea what my blood type is either.www.blood.co.uk (charming address there.) I think you can search for local places to donate.
  • Options
    Ive never gave blood. Im petrified of needles........last time I had to have blood taken I nearly passed out :eek: The nurse took loads and loads as they were doing tests for allsorts.

dont know where you find the info like, try yell.com? youre local blood service may be in there?
  • Options
    I nearly fainted last time I gave blood cos of not having drunk enough ebfore hand. That was foolish, but it meant I got lots of biscuits and orange juice to build my strength up again afterwards.

The first few times I went they didn't want me either Smash, once because I'd had an opperation too close to the time, and the other because it hadn't been a year since I'd had a piercing. Then they let me and I aint been since...oops!

Thanks for the site address. :D
  • Options
    I will give blood one day, i'm just a little scared to do (I know, big wimp) I wasn't sure who was eligible to donate blood, so gonna look on the site, if I can, i may donate in a bit
  • Options
    it's like trying to get blood out of a jehovahs witness.
    i think my blood group is cannabis posotive.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I may become a donor, when I'm old enough providing:
    A) I don't faint
    B) They want my blood and
    C) I don't sh*t myself
  • Options
    i was gonna give blood, but then i rememberd that they don't pay you.

for some reason they think that a cookie and some juice will be sufficent return for blood giving.

i've started looking at organ doning now. does anybody need a kidney?
  • Options
    for some reason they think that a cookie and some juice will be sufficent return for blood giving.

Did someone say "cookie" ..... :D

I've never given blood for 2 reasons ...

1. I had a bad experience when a Doc tried to do a blood test on me many moons ago and it freaked me out .....
    2. I've got so much caffiene, sugar and assorted E numbers roaming around my blood stream it'd probably fry anyone who it was given too .... :lol:
  • Options
    Unfortunately I am not allowed to give blood due to how much I weigh. But I'm sure you can find out about giving blood through your doctors. :)
  • Options
    Am I the only person here who is allowed and does go then? Thought most people went these days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    Am I the only person here who is allowed and does go then? Thought most people went these days.

They take enough bloody blood from me as it is for tests! Doubt they would want mine anyway as i have a weak immune system due to The Glandular fever virus always being in me.:(
  • Options
    I'm too scared! my friend fainted when she gave blood, so that put me off even more!! I really should, cos my blood type is the rarest....:eek2:
  • Options
    Faith don't worry about. As long as you've drunk and eaten plenty before you go you should be ok. YOu either faint becasue you're scared of needles or whatever or because your blood sugar levels aren't high enough to cope with having a pint taken out. But really it is only 10 minutes of lying down. You don't even notice, it doesn't hurt and there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

What blood type are you Faith?
  • Options
    I gave blood last week. First time in ages as I'm normally anaemic.

Nice to see all the usual excuses being rolled out...
  • Options
    I give blood on a regular basis!

I was meant to go last week again but didn't get a chance.
    I might tomorrow!

How can people be afraid of the needles?
    Its only a slight prick- doesn't really hurt at all!
  • Options
    What if you needed your blood later on and some of it was gone on giving blood?
  • Options
    I'm going next Thursday :D Being good girl again, I'll feel better in myself once I've been.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jellygirl

What exactly do you mean by this?
    There are about 8 pints of blood in the average human body, most people donate up to a pint of blood providing they pass certain criteria.
    During the course of the day the body replemishes itself. The odd time you might feel faint- but very rarely!
    Its safe!

or you could just get the blood and put it back into yourself!:lol:
  • Options
    Ohhhh ok! sorry i don't know anything about blood which is very promising as i'm starting my job as a nurse in march. God help all the sick people!
  • Options
    Ohhhh ok! sorry i don't know anything about blood which is very promising as i'm starting my job as a nurse in march. God help all the sick people!

God help all the healthy people too by the sounds of you:lol:

Only messing im sure you'll do great.
    I actually thought about becoming a nurse a one stage!
  • Options
    Cool but now you've become a doctor, a doctor of luuuuuuuuuurve! :naughty: Reminds me of the chef out of south park.
  • Options

:lol: sorry Jelly I just have to laugh. Cruel I know. But my minds too logical not to....sorry.

Good luck int he job though. Sure you'll be great.
  • Options
    What blood type are you Faith?

AB negative.
  • Options
    I've never known my blood type. Is it really important to know?
  • Options
    I have no idea what my blood type is, but i'm planning on giving blood as soon as i can - in August. I can't do it before then, as i had a piercing done at Reading last year, and you have to wait a year. As soon as i've had it done, i'm getting another tattoo!

What other limitations are there on if you can give blood? Like, are there any that aren't on the website?
  • Options
    I dont think it is,
    IF you were in hospital or something it'd be easy for them top tell from the reaction of your blood vessels.

I only know mine from givng blood
  • Options
    I've never known my blood type. Is it really important to know?

It is particularly important any more, used to be in the past. More so if you are one of the few people who have rhesus negative blood types as it can cause complications in child birth, but these days they do tests and things for that anyways.
  • Options
    It is particularly important any more, used to be in the past. More so if you are one of the few people who have rhesus negative blood types as it can cause complications in child birth,

Really? Eek :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith

Really? Eek :eek2:

I think it's summat to do with if the father is rhesus +'ve that complications arise. The first child is always ok, but if any of the blood mixes with yours and isn't sorted after the child is born then often people mis carry with children afterwards. these days an injection is given afterwards though so it doesn't happen. I only know cos that's what happened with a lot of my relatives in past years because on my mum's side the whole family is rhesus negative.
  • Options
    I give blood, I've donated 3 times and every time everything has been fine. I'm giving again on 18th March when they come to my uni.