Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lifestyles and Future

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok..I'm coming up to my GCSEs this year and we're getting the whole lot about careers and unis and the rest of your life and I was wondering, what DID you want to do when you at my stage (or do you) and did you acheive this? What things changed? hopefully this is slightly more interesting than another random thread :rolleyes:
xxx

Comments

• Options
    For some reason I thought you were a lot older... (youre more mature than most people your age) :)

To answer your question... I wanted to do a degree in English. So I am, at Leeds Uni. What do I want to do with it? Where to next? No idea. Hopefully a few years here will point me in the right direction. :)

Having said that... recently I've been loving the idea of doing an MA in something like Stage Management or Modern Theatre once I finish my main degree :)
  • Options
    I wanted to do chemistry or medicine, or somesuch.
    But was far too lazy.
    So ended up doing computer science.

I did an AGNVQ in Science, and buggered it up by doing sod all.

Then I did a BTEC ND in computing, which was much more interesting, I worked, managed top(ish) grades in it.

Now I'm at uni studying.

Type of reply you're looking for? :)
  • Options
    Erm...whe I finished my GCSE's I knew I was going on to do A-Levels, to follow on to do either Maths or English at uni with the thought of becoming a teacher. Well all went to plan, went to uni to do Maths, (having decided I would much rather teach maths with it being a right and wrong answer rather than reading through hundreds of essays). ANyway I found maths way too hard, ok mostly becasue I messed about too much at the beginning, but ti would have got passed where I'm capable before the end of the degree.

So I quit, went back to do Business studies the year after, lasted a month and a half cos I was missing my fiance.

Anyway, that scuppered the idea of me teaching as I needed a degree. So I've been temping for just over ayear now, not really having a clue what I wanted and everyone wanting either degrees, or 16 year olds for jobs.

So in Spetember I'm going back to uni, to do something along the line of e-business, with the hope of eventually running my own internet business. Hopefully something a bit like this sort of site, but we'll have to wait and see. the other thought at the moment is to be an e-commerce analyst and have my own company doing that, but thats a few years down the line yet. :D
  • Options
    I had no idea what I wanted to do, I still don't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    I had no idea what I wanted to do, I still don't.

Likewise.:confused:
  • Options
    When i was that age (like 8 months ago!) i knew i didnt wanna stay at school. I hated my school. I tried college and Sixth Form but neither worked out. So i decided to go into work instead. Im currently unemployed. I decided though that to get anywhere im gonna need more qualifications than 5 GCSES so i applied and got a place at college to do my A Levels in September.

Sometimes i think more practical things like Hairdressing or Beauty Therapy would suit me better :chin:
  • Options
    When I was 16 & doing my GCSEs I had a hard enough time trying to decide what A Levels I wanted to do let alone anything else! :D

I'm in my last year of my A Levels at the moment & I only decided what I wanted to do at Uni & as a career in the summer last year.
  • Options
    When I was doing my GCSe's all I knew was that I wanted to leave school asap!!!
    I went to Art college straight after my gcse's and did a BTEC in Graphic Design, and then I went to Uni and did a degree in it, which i finished last June
    Leaving school at 16 worked out bloody well for me! :D
  • Options
    i wanted to find a very rich man and marry him.

my mom always told me what a bad idea that was and all that woman power crap, so i said, ok, i'll live at home.

then she told me to go find that man.

but ever since 7th grade when we had to do some career crap, i've probably wanted to be everything. all from a cosmotologist to a chef to a lawyer to a teacher. i still don't know what i want to do ...
  • Options
    At that stage, which was two years ago, I was just about managing to choose my A levels. Which really should've been easier than it was. I dropped two and picked up another A level and another AS at the beginning of this year. That was more due to me getting stressed & mucking up my exmas than bad choices though. Although picking History was a bad idea as I used to really enjoy it and now I hate it.

In the long run, I'm going to do Math at Uni (& have to decide which 1). I was thinking of becoming a Math teacher, but I may change my mind again before I finish my degree. I've thought of loads of different options before, but gone off them all eventually.

Don't worry to much about it.
  • Options
    Well im in the same stage at you and havent got a clue:confused:
  • Options
    After finishing gcse's stayed on at sixthform to do a level biology sociology and art (wanted to be a soliciter) Worked part time in pub and as an agency nursing auxillary.
    Then went to colledge and did advanced buisiness studies, (wanted to do pr and advertising)
    Then got job in an advertising and sales company which was ok but got itchy feet and tried my hand at being an estate agent then worked for seaboard and realised i hated working in offices, then went back to pub work and agency nursing till i found inspiration and am now at uni doing my rgn! and as for life plan i want kids!

I have so many friends who went to university staight from a levels. some got thier degrees, quite a few changed courses a couple of times, but i don't think i know more than two who are compleatly happy with their choice.

I think you should just do what ever subjects you enjoy and try not to think about the future too much, especially if you have no idea what you want. but what ever you do all the best with it:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1st_angel

In the long run, I'm going to do Math at Uni (& have to decide which 1). I was thinking of becoming a Math teacher, but I may change my mind again before I finish my degree. I've thought of loads of different options before, but gone off them all eventually.

Ooh...good luck with that one. I hope you're exceptionally good at maths....then again I was predicted an 1 for a levels maths and only through carelessness didn't get it....hmm...maybe I was just lazy at uni and that's why I struggled and gave up. Just a warning...maths degree's aren't for the faint hearted and those who like to party constantly.
  • Options
    Im in my first year at uni doing a degree in history.However i actually prefer english literature so i'll probably end up changing my degree:rolleyes: At school i was always certain i wanted to end up in uni and that my degree would either be in history or english. I still dont have a clue what i want to do if i ever get my degree!Uni is a lot different to what i thought it would be and to be honest i feel im struggling a bit:(
  • Options
    When I was about to do my GCSEs I wanted to do medicine at Manchester.

However, that didn't work out. Come September, I'll be reading medicine at UCL :p
  • Options
    I wanted to got to uni and thats where I am.......

Beyond that, no clue then and very little now........