Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What book would you strongly recommend?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
After all the dull, rubbish, waste of megabytes etc threads that I have been reading through on this board over the past few days, I have decided to put up a mildly stimulating topic.

I would like you to recommend a book. It can be a book you read years ago, a book you read last week or one you're reading at the moment. I have £20 in WH Smith vouchers and I'd like to put them to good use! The book has to be the best book you've ever read. You can recommend more than one if you have more than one favourite.

Answers on a postcard by the 31st of February.

*Laughs wickedly*
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    "Demian" by Herman Hesse. Definitely.
  • Options
    the 31st of february???

my fave books would be

Behind the Scenes at the Museum and Human Croquet-both by Kate Atkinson:)
  • Options
    One of my fav's has to be 'Holes' by Louis Sachar, top book!
  • Options
    Dave Pelzer books.

my life on a plate by India Knight. - v funny.

fishbowl - Sarah Mlynowski - this is funny in places and very bitchy. im reading it atm.

Kate cann books.

Louise Rennison books, yes her books are teenage books but v. v. funny.

it all depends on what your after really hun.
  • Options
    Thief!

Oi, ya tea leaf! I had a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. :) Had quite a few good recomendations given.

I suppose it depends upon what you like?
    Hmm, I can reccomened virtually any Terry Pratchett book.

The Cuckoos Egg, by Clifford Stoll. A story about how a hippy astrologer tracked a gang of international hackers who were stealing data from the US government.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Re: Thief!
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Oi, ya tea leaf! I had a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. :) Had quite a few good recomendations given.

I suppose it depends upon what you like?
    Hmm, I can reccomened virtually any Terry Pratchett book.

The Cuckoos Egg, by Clifford Stoll. A story about how a hippy astrologer tracked a gang of international hackers who were stealing data from the US government.

Mr_Wobble ;)

Lol sorry Mr_Wobble I never saw it. That book sounds quite good.

I guess I'm after anything intellectually stimulating, unpredictable etc.
  • Options
    If you're into thrillers:
    all books featuring Kay Scarpetta, written by Patricia Cornwell :D

of course: all Dean Koontz books

Also quite good:
    fantasy - Robert Jordan : Wheel of time-series
  • Options
    I'd definitely recommend the Life of Pi. It's brilliantly written and really makes you think about life and religion. Also White Teeth is one of my favourite books and I never get tired of re-reading it
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i really like captain corellis mandolin by louis de bernieres. would highly recommend it.

xx
  • Options
    This is difficult because taste in things like this is so personal... but I love all Maeve Binchy`s books... just read Willy Russell`s book too, The Wrong Boy, that was good...

Marian Keyes` books are the ones I really can`t put down though.. I`ve read Rachel`s Holiday, Sushi For Beginners and Last Chance Saloon and they were all excellent.
  • Options
    The World According to Garp by John Irving is a good book.
    I couldn't tell you my favourite, it all depends on what I feel like reading.
    I also really like The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
  • Options
    hey
    i hate to admit it but you can't go wrong with good ol' Harry Potter. i was cynical about him to start with then i had a book voucher and didnt kno wat 2 get. i decided 2 c wat all the fuss is about and now iv put a deposit down for the 5th book!
    failing that, "Junk" by Melvin Burgess is brilliant!
  • Options
    I have to say for me you can't beat a bit of good ol' Jane Austen. Pride and Prejudice has to be my favourite though. :)
  • Options
    I like Chocolat, Blackberry Wine, Five Quarters of the Orange (Joanne Harris)
    Philip Pullman's Dark Matrials Triology (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass)
    Little Women:D Classic
    The Beach by Alex Garland
    Damn i love reading!
    xxx
  • Options
    because of your age and gender you'll absolutely LOVE 'a certain age' by rebecca ray.

it is 'frank and endlessly touching', and by frank... i mean frank! all about a 13 year old girl who loses her virginity to a 32 year old man, and enjoys getting knocked about by guys. written through her own eyes, its bloody fantsatic, and rebecca ray wrote it at 17, so she became the youngest ever novelsit, so it really has loads of truth in it, and you can really relate/sympathise with her.

its excellent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    because of your age and gender you'll absolutely LOVE 'a certain age' by rebecca ray.

it is 'frank and endlessly touching', and by frank... i mean frank! all about a 13 year old girl who loses her virginity to a 32 year old man, and enjoys getting knocked about by guys. written through her own eyes, its bloody fantsatic, and rebecca ray wrote it at 17, so she became the youngest ever novelsit, so it really has loads of truth in it, and you can really relate/sympathise with her.

its excellent.

i'll b gettin that aswell then :) ta
  • Options
    Re: Re: Thief!
    Originally posted by HunnyPot

Lol sorry Mr_Wobble I never saw it. That book sounds quite good.
    Ooooo, I'll forgive you, but search for the thread, as there were quite a few good reccomendations on it.

The Cuckoo's Egg is actually a true story by the way, written by that hippy astrologer - Clifford Stoll.
    It's interesting to see how he tried to trace the hackers. The FBI and KGB were involved too.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Sebastian Faulks - Birdsong
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing

its excellent.

That does sound interesting, i'll certainy keep an eye out for it.
  • Options
    'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden is my favourite book ever!

Buy it!! :D
  • Options
    My favourite book and video of all time is Ever After, which is an adaptation of cinderella. I love fairy tales even though I'm a bit too old for them now and I love Shakespeare's plays.:)
  • Options
    Still Missing by Beth Gutcheon... It's about a mother who looses her child, or as it quotes on the front cover 'A heart-rending story of a mother's search for her child'.

Also a book called Witch Child by Celia Rees. I'll quote the publishers quote
    Mary's grandmother is executed for witchcraft, and Mary is forced to leave her home to avoid the same fate. At first she flees to the English countryside, but when the atmosphere of superstition and suspicion becomes all consuming she leaves on a boat for America in the hope that she can start over and forget her past. But during the journey, she realizes that the past is not so easy to escape.
    Very good book - I bought it when I was going to Crete and the stupid WH Smiths at the airport had no decent magazines, so I bought a book instead.
  • Options
    I only got as far as the Mr Men books sadly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    I only got as far as the Mr Men books sadly.

What about Little Miss? :eek: :p

Gah, I really much too little these days... you might like to buy a book with a lot of Roald Dahl's short stories in though, they're all very good and a few of them can be quite shocking in places - especialy when you consider that they come from the man who wrote so many childrens books.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*

i'll b gettin that aswell then :) ta

s'ok, i'd recommend it to anyone. seriously one of the best books i ever read.

(also 'catcher in the rye' by JD Salinger - very good)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Slayer_Pantera

Also a book called Witch Child by Celia Rees. I'll quote the publishers quote Very good book - I bought it when I was going to Crete and the stupid WH Smiths at the airport had no decent magazines, so I bought a book instead.

:yes: Fantastic Book! I must buy the sequel (Sorceress) have you read it?
    xxx
  • Options
    The World war series by Harry Turtledove, if you like science fiction.
  • Options
    Darkfall by Isobelle Carmody!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner

:yes: Fantastic Book! I must buy the sequel (Sorceress) have you read it?
    xxx

There's a sequel? ooooh *bounces* me want me want!