Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Moral case' for war rubbished by Church leaders

You almost have to feel sorry for Tony Blair. Although I believe he's deeply misguided and blind to the truth I think he's pushing for war because he believes it's the right thing to do (although it's a disgrace how he's trying all sort of dirty tricks to win people over).

After the evidence of WMDs promised has so far failed to materialise, and the 'link' claims between Iraq and Al Qaeda have been abandoned due to universal derision, Blair has been emphasising the 'moral case' for a war on Iraq, saying how it would be an act of humanity to remove Saddam and that it's our moral duty to act.

So it’s a pity that the leaders of the Anglican and Catholic Churches in Britain have issued a joint statement casting doubt on the morality of a war- although they also say inaction is not an option and that the UN should continue its work.

Blair is flying to see the Pope later this week and is expected to receive another bollocking from the old man as well.

So as a deeply religious man what would Blair’s thoughts be? Is he renouncing the Church authority on earth, perhaps thinking they are wrong too and only he and his pal Bush are in tune with what God really thinks? Or is he prepared to risk eternal damnation in Hell for going to war?

And what of Dubya? What have Church leaders in America said, and does anyone think he'd be concerned if the leader of his faith released a similar statement?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Catholic church is against the war. To which I say: separation of church and state...read about it in the US constitution.

Some Prostestant religions, and the US is a largerly Prostestant country, are quoting the Bible where it acknowledges the need for war. (But what about the turn the other cheek idea?) Bush is a born again Prostestant. He brings God into a lot of his speeches. Personally, I've never felt compassion from a born again person. I've only felt criticism with the opportunity to think exactly like them...or just know that if I don't I'm going to hell.
  • Options
    Personally I wouln't take any moral guidance from a system that preaches "original sin" and covers up paedophilia. But then I wouldn't take moral guidance from a politician either.

I also think it would be foolish of Bush/Blair to be guided by what the respective churches say. Listen to the electorate, yes, listen to someone with aboslute faith in an almighty being...

Besides, if they are truly believers then surely the believe that God will direct Blair in the "right" direction, so why do the zealots need to tell us their personal opinions anyway ;)
  • Options
    I'm angry about the Catholic priests too. I'm cute and not one priest ever felt me up. :p