Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

An Israeli approach to war on terror.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*Reminder I've only been world-aware beginning in 2000*

What I've observed from reading articles posted on Yahoo US, UK and Ireland, Canada and Australia is an Israeli approach to fighting terror that is as brutal as war but does seems to work. It involves infiltration of Palestinian groups, aggressively destroying dual use factories, assinating terrorist leaders. (Today, there's an article about 11 Palestinians being killed in a metal works factory used to make bombs as well as legitimate items for use in comerce.)

No matter how brutal it can be argued that this aggressive technique is, it also does bring peace to Isreal itself. The suicide bombings go down when Isreal's troops are in the West Bank.

The US has had people, cops and more, training in Isreal to learn their techniques. I personally see Iraq as being part of this approach to terrorism against the US...go there, disrupt things, and hurt Al Qaeda. Even if it's only that Hamas will not be getting money to fund suicide bombings from Saddam. And if there's peace in that area, a disarmed Palestinian state can come into being in 2005.

So the question isn't morality or protecting civilians worldwide. The question is. If people are out to destroy your people, does this kind of aggressive approach work?

By the way, Syria is pulling all of its 3,000+ troops out of Lebanon. Is there about to be a direct war with Hezbollah?

Comments

• Options
    No it doesn't work. The only way it would work is by killing them all or expulsing them. Ask yourself how many suicide bombings were in the years before Sharon took his infamous walk to Temple Mount, and how many have there been since he was elected Prime Minister and imposed ever-tighter measures, raids and blockades.

What Israel is doing is collective punishment. Whole towns are cities in Palestine are being punished every time there is an attack on Israeli forces. And whereas sometimes there might find and destroy a weapons factory a lot of the time they just get in there and demolish a few houses to make a point. Other times they just don't bother with that and simply fire missiles into crowds or artillery shells into apartment blocks. The less reported, every day occurrences include the ripping of vines from the ground, regular cutting off of water and electricity supplies, restriction of movement for workers or even medical staff, cars being flattened by tanks "for a laugh"… It's no surprise that kids are queuing up to become the next 'martyr'.

The bottom line is that no matter how hard the Israelis try, short of killing them all there is nothing they can do to stop the suicide bombings. Well, there is something they could do: pull back from the occupied territories, dismantle the illegal settlements and sit and negotiate a permanent end of hostilities and the creation of a Palestinian State.
  • Options
    "Ask yourself how many suicide bombings were in the years before Sharon took his infamous walk to Temple Mount,"

That was before my world aware time Aladdin. It is brutal. But don't you think while the tanks are rolling in Palestine, suicide bombings go down? It seems there's more suicide bombings when Israel has no troops in Palestine.
  • Options
    The Soviet Union didn't suffer much from terrorism under Stalin. Might be because they would hunt down the terrorists, their friends, and their family and butcher them all. It worked. Doesn't mean we should emulate it.
  • Options
    Why have you only been world aware since 2000!! I was world aware by at least 10 years old!!
  • Options
    byny. I don't think you are world aware now. I think you're a nice liberal who thinks she's being a humanitarian in a world that is very different than her mother's 60's activist world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    byny. I don't think you are world aware now. I think you're a nice liberal who thinks she's being a humanitarian in a world that is very different than her mother's 60's activist world.

Ouch. Great jab. She will probably spend mucho denaro on counseling.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    The Soviet Union didn't suffer much from terrorism under Stalin. Might be because they would hunt down the terrorists, their friends, and their family and butcher them all. It worked. Doesn't mean we should emulate it.

Agree (why, this is becoming a daily occurrence) ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Why have you only been world aware since 2000!! I was world aware by at least 10 years old!!
    Think he's implying that it took the World Trade Center attacks to wake him up. Which is going to give him a great sense of perspective.
  • Options
    Before I was 14 I wasn't interested in the world. Just really started watching and reading the news in 2000.
  • Options
    except it hasn't given him a greater sense of perspective...

Its made him concentrate only on America and what America wants instead of giving him a wider view of world society!!
  • Options
    Typical American:

Bantustans and Segregation are EVIL in South Africa, America, and Great Britain. Bantustans, torture of minorities, stripping minorities of civil liberties, and collective punishment are OKAY in Israel. In fact, these things are so OKAY they should be funded by TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars.
  • Options
    Heydrich. Do you think their way is the best way to fight terrorism? And do you think we should take a brutal approach to attacking Al Qaeda?
  • Options
    Nah, he think he should fund it.

;)
  • Options
    You see this has to be the funniest thing to me about America's policy with respect to Israel. The African National Congress in South Africa terrorized that nation for decades. The South African Government created homelands for its black population. It intended to make them into independent nations and unlike Israel the South Africans spent BILLIONS of Rands on them. What does Great Britain and the United States do? Well unlike their policy with respect to Israel, they DEMANDED the South Africans unilaterally disarm themselves in the face of massive terrorism. They DEMANDED that South Africa integrate and surrender control of their society over to the oppressed black population - the Marxists terrorists in the African National Congress. South Africa was also strategically important to the United States, the minerals America used in its nuclear arsenal that enabled it to win the Cold War came in large part from South Africa. South Africa was also an American ally, unlike Israel, South Africa fought in World War 1, World War 2, the Korean War and for DECADES in a HOT WAR in Southern Africa against Marxist savage terrorists, a massive Soviet airlift, and an armed Cuban expeditionary force. Ten years after this integration was forced upon South Africa, when America and Great Britain REFUSED to let South Africa make its bantustans independent, unlike Israel which wishes to annex those too, that nation is now the AIDS, murder, and rape capital of planet earth. Afrikaners are the most at risk ethnic group in the world to be murdered, many of them being of BRITISH descent as well. America and Great Britain DESTROYED that nation, just like they destroyed Ian Smith in Rhodesia. Those nations HAD to capitulate to terrorism. It would be as if Yassar Arafat and the PLO was appointed Prime Minister of Israel! Of course, imposing the same sort of international pressure upon Israel whose apartheid makes the one in South Africa look like a picnic is simply INTOLERABLE. NO ONE in America hears about South Africa anymore these days, problem solved I suppose.
  • Options
    Aladdin how does an recognized and aproved, walk to the tenple mount, justify the suicide bombers? Truth is, that this is just an excuse. The real trigger was the failed Camp David peace talks.

All I can say is, that I was in Israel last year, at it's worst period concidering bombings and attacks. You'd hear about at least one incident a day, if not more (and some people I know dealing with this on a close and daily basis, told me that what the news covered was only a tip of the ice-berg, that a lot of minor and failed attempts of atacks were never mentioned anywhere, except from behind close doors). And the thing which calmed it down was "Operation Defence Wall". That's fact.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    The African National Congress in South Africa terrorized that nation for decades. The South African Government created homelands for its black population. It intended to make them into independent nations and unlike Israel the South Africans spent BILLIONS of Rands on them.

Oh purlease. The benevolent Afrikaans eh?

Although, it is amazing how expensive a shanty town is to run.

What with all the massacres you have to carry out too - I mean all those bullets, all that tear gas. And do you know how many rand it cost to hire a bulldozer for the day.
    South Africa was also an American ally, unlike Israel, South Africa fought in World War 1, World War 2, the Korean War and for DECADES in a HOT WAR in Southern Africa against Marxist savage terrorists, a massive Soviet airlift, and an armed Cuban expeditionary force.

Of course, one reason why Israel didn't fight in WW1 & WW2 may have been that the country didn't EXIST.

In fact, if you think about it many of those who went to Israel to help found the nation were desperately trying to flee the persecution of people like Heydrich...

And I think you'll find that Israel has effectively been fighting for it's existence ever since.
    Of course, imposing the same sort of international pressure upon Israel whose apartheid makes the one in South Africa look like a picnic is simply INTOLERABLE. NO ONE in America hears about South Africa anymore these days, problem solved I suppose.

Is South Africa democratic now? Does the majority of the population now have the vote? Are Blacks free to apply for any jobs now, and not just those allowed by the White minority?

I'd say that democratically it's in a much better position now.

But, I also happen to agree with you about Israel and apartheid and it is something that I have said on here before.
  • Options
    I think it boils down to how threatened you feel and how free of the threat you want to be.

That's when all the discussions regarding rights, or democracies higher values end. I also don't think you can reason with a fanatic.
  • Options
    Oh purlease. The benevolent Afrikaans eh?

Absolutely.
    Although, it is amazing how expensive a shanty town is to run.

Yes, unlike Israel the Afrikaners spent billions on their shanty towns.
    What with all the massacres you have to carry out too - I mean all those bullets, all that tear gas. And do you know how many rand it cost to hire a bulldozer for the day.

LOL yes, sure it is okay to bulldoze down the homes of the relatives of the "homicide bombers," a form of collective punishment outlawed under the Geneva accords if you happen to be Jews. Tear gas and bullets work fine for Palestinian children in the West Bank Bantustan. What precisely is your problem?
    Of course, one reason why Israel didn't fight in WW1 & WW2 may have been that the country didn't EXIST. In fact, if you think about it many of those who went to Israel to help found the nation were desperately trying to flee the persecution of people like Heydrich...

Well that figures. It was after all the Zionists in Palestine who cut a deal with Hitler and the Nazis to liquidate the wealth of the Jews in Germany to transfer it to Palestine in the first place. There would be no Israel today if it was not for Adolf Hitler for it was Hitler that cut a deal with the Zionists to get around the immigraton restrictions set up by the British with regards to Palestine. The British and American so loved the Jews they threw up massive immigration restrictions. Hitler himself said on many occassions he would have been more than willing to send every Jew who wanted to go to America and Britain, with a bank account, provided Britain and America accept them! The liquidated wealth of the German Jews was used to purchase exports from the Third Reich and to crush the boycott of their fellow Jews in abroad. I will also add that the Soviet Union was the first nation to recognize the State of Israel, and that makes sense, for Israel won its independence by terrorizing the British and with weapons acquired from the Soviet Block through Czechoslovakia. What war again has Israel for with the United States in? Afghanistan? The Gulf War? Korea? Vietnam maybe? Valuable ally indeed.
    And I think you'll find that Israel has effectively been fighting for it's existence ever since.

Yes, of course. Israel has been under attack by terrorists. Oh wait, then again so was South Africa. I bet the Afrikaners feel pretty STUPID fighting for the British and Americans in World War 2 these days. What idiots, they should have known better. After all, it was the British who killed thousands of their women in children in concentration camps in the Boer war. That's okay. Great Britainstan is suffering from South Africa's curse these days. The South Africa of 2003 will be the Britainstan of 2050.
    Is South Africa democratic now?

South Africa is ran by the Marxist Thabo Mbeki, a good friend of Quadaffi and Fidel Casto, who was trained in the Soviet Union. In the new and improved "democratic" South Africa a once prosperous nation thanks to their eternal allies in Great Britain and America is now the rape, murder, and AIDS capital of planet earth. In the new lovely South Africa, Afrikaners are the most at risk ethnic group in the entire world to be murdered. A two state solution was of course UNACCEPTABLE for South Africa. A two state solution is the ONLY solution however for Israel, god forbid they let those Palestinians back to their homes huh?
    Does the majority of the population now have the vote?

Yes. South Africa has now been effectively "integrated." Massive economic sanctions were of course necessary to accomplish that. America does not put sanctions on Israel however, it gives them tens of billions of dollars in foreign aid. Speaking of the majority of the population in Israel its very easy to have a majority when you terrorize, marginalize, or drive out all those who disagree with you and strip them of their civil rights.
    Are Blacks free to apply for any jobs now, and not just those allowed by the White minority?

Yes, Affirmative Action is massive and widespread in the new South Africa. Jews of course were an enormous minority in Palestine for centuries until they immimgrated there and liquidated the Palestinians who now live in refugee camps and bantustans.
    I'd say that democratically it's in a much better position now

Yes, living as a permanent electoral minority has just been great for the Afrikaners. Unfortunately they cannot simply expel blacks at will from Congress or lock them up in a West Bank anymore.
    But, I also happen to agree with you about Israel and apartheid and it is something that I have said on here before.

What is your problem with Israel's policies? After all, God who chose the Jews to be the master race told them to exterminate the Canaanites in the name of the creator of the universe!
  • Options
    I agree that the Israeli response has managed to contain the rise of violence. To what degree, is debateable. The only truth would be that violence would be greater if it were not for the Israeli actions.

However, I think that this could be a case of winning the battle, but losing the war. If the end desired is peace. For God's sake, since 1967 the Palestinians have shown no wavering in their convictions, what makes you think that the next ten years could show a different result than the previous thirty? Add the fact that the Palestinians have a high population growth rate and the efficacy of violence to solve the problem, rather than just manage it, seems questionable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich

Yes, living as a permanent electoral minority has just been great for the Afrikaners. Unfortunately they cannot simply expel blacks at will from Congress or lock them up in a West Bank anymore.

Are you deliberately spouting rascist gibberish to provoke a reaction or do you have reasons for believeing such things?

Also, Jacq do you think the Israeli govt should remove the settlements from the Palestinian areas?
  • Options
    Last week Israel sealed off the West Bank. Palestinians are now effectively locked up in there. Do tell me, is it "racism" for the South Africans to lock up the blacks (some of whom were terrorists) up in the Bantustans but NOT racism for the Jews to do the same exact thing to the Palestinians? Anyway, perhaps democracy and tolerance are good policies. If that is the case, why doesn't the British and American government impose a South African solution upon Israel? Surely if sanctions were necessary to end Apartheid in South Africa, even as South Africa was fighting Animals Necklacking and Communism, then it would also seem to be a "fair" and "democratic" solution to impose massive international sanctions upon Israel until they unilaterally disarm and integrate their society like the Afrikaners. Why don't you hold Israel to the same standard South Africa was held to? After all, diversity is our strength right? Diversity and Multiculturalism surely would make Israel stronger would it not? Who is to say the PLO cannot effectively govern Israel, just look at the spectacular results the ANC has accomplished in South Africa, the Rainbow Nation! Why does Israel fear Palestinians immigrating back to their homes? Is that not racist and why should we accept setting the Palestinians up on a bantustan in the West Bank and calling it an independent country if that was absolutely intolerable for South Africa?
  • Options
    Add the fact that the Palestinians have a high population growth rate and the efficacy of violence to solve the problem, rather than just manage it, seems questionable.

Yes, the South Africans were afraid that by democratically integrating their society with the black population their fecundity would make them a permanent minority and they would lose their culture in an impoverished nation. They were also fearful in light of the cooperation of the ANC with international communism and its tendancy to terrorize the Afrikaners that they would be slaughtered if they capitulated. Every single one of those predictions has now come to pass. Now I suppose its Israel's turn to learn "diversity is our strength." Whats good for the Afrikaners is good for Israel IMO.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the hypocrasy concerning policy towards Israel. I was asking you about your beliefs, you do not answer the question by making needless comparisons.......
  • Options
    Let's not confuse S. Africa and Israel, shall we? While I appreciate your fanaticism, Heydrich, I'd like to remind you of the reason that Israel was founded as a country in the first place.

With that history, maybe one, two, generations ago, do you not understand why the Israelis feel maybe a little threatened?

The bantustans of S. Africa were "allowed" to become independent in order to create isolated enclaves of blacks that would have political independence. Why? It removed them from the white economy - the whites didn't want to pay for them any more. They were forbidden from creating the bantustan states because it would have effectively weakened and cut off the black population from resources.

Furthermore, the apartheid movement was given a charismatic leader in the form of Mandela, who cannot really be compared to Arafat, can he?
  • Options
    feeling threatened isn't a very good excuse for bad behaviour.........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    feeling threatened isn't a very good excuse for bad behaviour.........

Was not attempting to excuse the Israelis actions, merely to perhaps show another side of the argument. Everyone seems to cite Israel as a reason we should not invade Iraq, when really, they do not have quite comparable circumstance.
  • Options
    Fair enough.....
  • Options
    Let's not confuse S. Africa and Israel, shall we? While I appreciate your fanaticism, Heydrich, I'd like to remind you of the reason that Israel was founded as a country in the first place.

Why not? After all, Apartheid is OKAY in Israel and EVIL in South Africa. Where is the outrage now? Oh wait, I forgot, the Jews are superior and were "chosen" above the goyim right? Israel is a country born in ethnic cleansing. Do not cry to me about the Holocaust either. The Jews in Israel cut a DEAL with Hitler and profitted enormously off of it.
    With that history, maybe one, two, generations ago, do you not understand why the Israelis feel maybe a little threatened?

Yes of course. God told the Jews to slaughter the Canaanites. The Canaanites might possibly put up resistance.
    The bantustans of S. Africa were "allowed" to become independent in order to create isolated enclaves of blacks that would have political independence.

Yes, that is true. The Israelis seem to have a problem with even creating the Palestinians a Bantustan to live on! Why not kick all the Palestinians out to Jordan, let that be their homeland right? The South Africans however were more than willing to grant independence to their Bantustans and unlike Israel the South Africans spent billions of rands on them.
    . Why? It removed them from the white economy - the whites didn't want to pay for them any more.

The Afrikaners thought an integrated South Africa would be committing national suicide, and that has since turned out to be precisely the honest truth. The Afrikaners thought a "two state" solution would be much better. Why is this OKAY for Israel and so EVIL for South Africa it requires a world embargo?
    They were forbidden from creating the bantustan states because it would have effectively weakened and cut off the black population from resources.[/quote[

Do you mean precisely how Gaza is cut off from the West Bank?
    Furthermore, the apartheid movement was given a charismatic leader in the form of Mandela, who cannot really be compared to Arafat, can he?

Do you consider necklacing to be terrorism?
  • Options
    the apartheid movement was given a charismatic leader in the form of Mandela

Have your historical facts a little skewed don't you DJP? Mandela was no leader of Apartheid, he was in opposition to it, unless you think the ANC fought for the whites.
  • Options
    Heydrich: you're quite disappointed that the apartheid policy fell apart, really, aren't you? You were all for segregation; in the national interest, of course. Pity about that 'ol Mason-Dixon line, too.. I mean, what were they thinking?

Clandestine; yep, you're right. Missed off the "anti-" from my point, there.