Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teaching politics and philosophy in schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Shouldn't they teach those subjects in schools? I would have loved the opportunity to study that at school.

Comments

• Options
    Maybe offer it as a choice, but not make it compulsary. Its a subject where some younger are just not interested.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Maybe offer it as a choice, but not make it compulsary. Its a subject where some younger are just not interested.

Government and Politics is a choice at some schools I believe. Not sure about Philosophy though.

I don't really think Philosophy should be made a subject that you can choose to do at school - at highschool you should be made to concentrate on the more important subjects (by that i don't necessarily mean English, Maths and Science - well I do mean though but also subject that lead more directly into a job, unlike subjects like RE, Philosophy, Gov/Pol etc, which are more of companion subjects to do with other qualifications) and then branch out more at college.
  • Options
    Here we chose a line. Either languages, or maths. And then we get to choose subject we want to take on a higher level and extra subjects.
    I am on the math line which means that I differ from the linguists by having maths, chemistry and physics, while they use that time on latin plus a continuation and new language they have chosen to learn. Plus of course we have all the other compulsary classes, which both lines have.

Next year I have chosen to take Social Science- which is the nearest thing you can get to study politics. As it's basically built up by economics, politics and sociology.
    I do find classes like philosophy and psychology useful, and would have loved to take those, but they don't fit into my schedule. Think that it's usefull knowing how the human mind works, and all the ideas and theories which are going through our heads.
  • Options
    You can study both at A-level I believe but they are not very widely available. You can also study Politics at GCSE, not sure about Phil or about lower levels.......
  • Options
    You can study them to your hearts desire in University..

I'll assume that Clandestine studied Political Science, so he could give you an idea of how programs are generally set.

I minored in Philosophy and can tell you that lower courses (Freshmen/Sophomore level) generally focus on general concepts. Logic is usually required to be taken in your first year. If you can handle the math for follow-up logic courses, they are useful. Third and Fourth year Philosophy courses generally focus on specific Philosophers (Kant, Hobbes, etc.).
  • Options
    The problem, Greenie is that most folks here are discussing UK/European educational systems. We both did our studies in the US and thus we didn't have these "paths" that generally route students in one direction or another.
  • Options
    I can confirm what Greenie says about philosophy is broadly true of UK universities also.....

I have done a first year course on human rights and a second year course on Pol Phil, both fairly broad whereas many of the third year courses are more focused ie 'Descartes and the Empiricists' or 'Plato and Aristotle'
  • Options
    I went to a college where one of the most popular lectures was philosophy.. we had so many people in our class it was boardering on rediculous, and they had to open more classes for everybody. Not so many years ago philosophy wasnt allowed to be taught in schools as it was seen to have led pupils to revolt against standard thought. Even now, the most important Philosophers that are studied in British colleges are banned from being taught in the US!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I went to a college where one of the most popular lectures was philosophy.. we had so many people in our class it was boardering on rediculous, and they had to open more classes for everybody. Not so many years ago philosophy wasnt allowed to be taught in schools as it was seen to have led pupils to revolt against standard thought. Even now, the most important Philosophers that are studied in British colleges are banned from being taught in the US!

There are no bans on teaching any philosophers in US universities. Where do you people come up with this stuff?
  • Options
    :lol:

God it makes us look like fools sometimes........:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

There are no bans on teaching any philosophers in US universities. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

well maybe im wrong then, but that was what our lecturer told us.. that there are some philosophers and sociologists which arent taught in the US, especially with sociologists (communism and such like), but maybe he was wrong about the philosophers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx

well maybe im wrong then, but that was what our lecturer told us.. that there are some philosophers and sociologists which arent taught in the US, especially with sociologists (communism and such like), but maybe he was wrong about the philosophers.

I think your lecturer was wrong, full stop. The bulk of professors who teach the "social sciences" are of a liberal mindset, and have no problem what so ever with teaching communism and such.

Clandestine, would you agree?
  • Options
    i cant imagine professors having any problems with teaching various sociologists, afterall they will be interested in each and see important things to be learned whether negative or positive from each, and im sure ull agree on that.

Like i said he probably was wrong... im not questioning you.
  • Options
    Well given that UMASS Amherst was for many years administered by a card carrying Communist, not to say the educational standards of the institution arent excellent, Id say Ive not personally seen any denial of any particular philiophies or political theories. I can't speak for educational institutions across the whole of the nation though. Perhaps in the more narrowminded bible belt or heartland of the country you might get particular institutions banning certain schools of though, but ive no experience with them so I can't say conclusively.

I went to private college myself so the state couldnt have controlled the curriculum even if it wanted to.
  • Options
    Had it been offered when I went to school, I'd have only been to happy for it to replace PE.

But because kicking/hitting a ball around is so important, and politics being a humanities subject, it could be given as an option alongside history/geography.

I seem to remember that geography had political areas.
    Could they offer a scientific (the environmental etc. bit) geography stream and a political one.

Or, because environmental knowledge is becoming more important, integrate politics with history.

But this is all based upon my dodgy memory of school...

But yes, providing they can fit it in somewhere, then it should be offered as a choice, at least.