Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Republic of America?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here's an idea that would stop America thinking they are all powerful - what if all the other NATO countries declared war on America, overrun it, and then decisions to be made in America would be based on decisions made in a republic between the other member nations. Hopefully this would mean America loses it's cockiness in thinking it owns the world and can attack who they want.

I was reading a case study the other day - it was a comparison between the Old British Empire and the USA now.

Turns out they are both 'peacekeeper' states - seeing as they are/were the most powerful countries of their time, they took it upon themselves to keep the world stable and peaceful. However, it was interesting to note, that the British Empire built embassys, sent envoys and ambassadors, and set up trade deals to attain a foothold in countries that otherwise could be seen as 'rogue nations'.

America, on the otherhand, seem to have a preference towards aircraft carriers, F18s and Tanks. What they should do is make propaganda - go to Saddam and say they don't have a problem with Iraq - they have a problem with him and want him to abdicate, and if he doesn't comply they will invade. Then see how much his people will love him.

That's pretty cruel actually, but I';m sure America's done far worse.

It just confuses me how the most 'enlightened' nation in the world can have so much bloodlust. And it scares me that everyday America or one of its close allies is saying things that mean war is inevitable. Ah well, I'm gonna be at home in 50 years, watching a cheap film about the thousands of Americans, and the tens of thousands or innocent Iraqis, who died, just because....

Wait a sec... Why does America want to go to war? Saddam is no way gonna attack America because he knows he will lose. I don't get it....

Comments

• Options
    Re: Republic of America?
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Here's an idea that would stop America thinking they are all powerful - what if all the other NATO countries declared war on America, overrun it, and then decisions to be made in America would be based on decisions made in a republic between the other member nations. Hopefully this would mean America loses it's cockiness in thinking it owns the world and can attack who they want.

First, the United States already is a Republic.

Second, what makes you think that all the other NATO nations together could defeat the United States? You're dreaming. And overrun the US? You mean the nation with all those privately owned guns? Now you are really dreaming...
  • Options
    Re: Republic of America?
    ...what if all the other NATO countries declared war on America, overrun it...

As Greenhat suggests... easier in the pondering, than in the doing. ;)

Think about those 1,000,000+ Vietnam veterans - the silent militia - who not only have more weapons than you can conceive of, and the training to use them, but also the experience.

How about the Gulf War vets?

And on.

No military on earth, even collectively, could defeat the US, on US soil. And even IF it were done, how could you EVER hold onto it?

Ready to stand up and be counted, when I personally own half a dozen rifles which could end your day from a quarter mile away? Easily...

The rest of the supposition? Am not going to address, because it is based upon a fallacy...
  • Options
    i was kinda takin the piss outta the americans system there. if you ask me, they are too war obsessed. which you two have finely proven, with practically every american owing agun (and those with 12 making up for those with none) and i think its effecting them too badly. war sucks but america, almost seems to enjoy it!!!

perhaps because in world war 2 it inspired more nationalism than ever before but now they are trying to recur that with stupid warmongering.
  • Options
    i was kinda takin the piss outta the americans system there. if you ask me, they are too war obsessed. which you two have finely proven, with practically every american owing agun (and those with 12 making up for those with none) and i think its effecting them too badly. war sucks but america, almost seems to enjoy it!!!

perhaps because in world war 2 it inspired more nationalism than ever before but now they are trying to recur that with stupid warmongering.

You posed the idea of invading the U.S. The above individuals replied about defending it (you talk like it would be a walk in the park). We are only obsessed with our FREEDOM and the U.S. Constitution. Homicidal dictators/religious extremists only understand force. The U.S. is no longer afraid to apply that force wherever it will improve the safety of the world and the U.S. We tried euro stile appeasement during the 90s (92-99) and all it caused was more american deaths. I hope and pray that Saddam will disarm peacefully. We could than bring our troops home without war. If he doesn't, he will be disarmed.
  • Options
    hmmm. but doesnt it ever strike you that everyone calls america arrogant. if war is what is needed then the european countries will go to war. but surely war must be a complete and final option, and we should extensively exhaust every other possible route beforehand.

if saddam does have these hidden weapons, why not leet the UN weapon inspectors get rid of the, if there are some that they havent found already then invading will surely only cause saddam to use them. I think its pretty clear that if it does go to war Saddam won't be in power afterwards - meaning he is going to try every option to inflict damage upon his enemies. who knows if there wont be outbreaks of Anthrax all over America and England as soon as the first tank rolls into Iraq?
  • Options
    So, Shyboy...

Are you afraid to leave the house? Afterall, you might get hit by a car...
  • Options
    Let us also note that the USA had also tried the economic route. The British Empire was ruled with a carrot & stick approach: yes, we had an army and navy, but we were far more prepared to buy off regional despots and so forth.

The USA took on the role of global economic polic force when it signed the Bretton Woods agreement in which the US dollar was tied to the value of gold.

In order to guarantee global stability, the US was then often forced to pursue interests not concordant with that of it's own nationalistic ones, in order to better prolong global recovery.

It has only been since 1974, in the collapse of Bretton Woods, that the USA has not tried the economic route.

Also; the US Armed Forces are not necessarily the most powerful. What they are is incredibly well trained & equipped, and their technology allows them to project force like no other. In a set piece land war, the US Army would find it difficult to overcome the Chinese, for example. But their force projection would not let them fight a set piece battle.
  • Options
    The most effective means for the US to have some control over foreign nations is through the WTO, the IMF, the world bank and the stock markets.

The continuing quest to open all markets is the driving force behind US worldwide economic dominance, much more effective then any war or army.........
  • Options
    Which all but assures that the rules of the economic spectrum will always be weighted so that the elite few get richer whilst a considerable percentage of the world poulation (in our own societies as well as around the globe) declines into or remains in poverty.
  • Options
    No military on earth, even collectively, could defeat the US, on US soil. And even IF it were done, how could you EVER hold onto it?

The Soviet Empire was not defeated by the United States on Soviet soil anymore than the British Empire was defeated on British soil. Both of these empires rotted from the inside to the point where they could no longer maintain their possessions. The United States will fall in precisely the same manner within fifteen years. Massive decay at home followed by bankruptcy incurred by foreign interventions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich

The Soviet Empire was not defeated by the United States on Soviet soil anymore than the British Empire was defeated on British soil. Both of these empires rotted from the inside to the point where they could no longer maintain their possessions. The United States will fall in precisely the same manner within fifteen years. Massive decay at home followed by bankruptcy incurred by foreign interventions.

Within 15 years?

:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich

Jawohl, Herr Gruppenfuher. I see and know the colour of your spots.
  • Options
    Yes, most likely sooner than that. America's ability to support its empire is entering its terminal phase. This will indeed be the big event of the first half of the twenty-first century. It will all unravel in a very short number of years, just like the Soviet Union. Seems hilarious does it not? Then again, not many people in 1976 were accurately forecasting 1991 - with a few exceptions.

The American military of 2020 will look much like the former Soviet military of 2003 - fading away.
  • Options
    The only way that the US will collapse (what does that mean - anarchy? :confused: ) is if the economy goes AWOL.

That is frankly incredibly unlikely, it is wobbling at the moment but that is normal, the US is an economic superpower and is likely to be the dominant force for a very long time methinks...........