Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Congress to punish France and Germany, reduce troops in S. Korea.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59326-2003Feb11.html

I try to keep in mind that most people on the site are from the UK so I usually post topics I know Europeans will care about. There's an arrogance in assuming people care about what America cares about.

But this article made me so happy. I just wanted to share it. In school,we've learned about how many Americans died in the wars. And I'm sure like some people who post on this site you can view some of the wars as big business making a grab for some resource. I'm also sure Americans want to see people live free societies...even with their special interests and inequalities. So I'm so glad people in the US have had it with allies who spit in our face. Sovereign nations have the right to do whatever they want. But when the US is paying for most of NATO's cost and a lot of the UNs, to have the Germans make money off of our troop deployments, and France make money by selling their goods in the US...well the world's largest and wealthiest open market is about to say: fuck you.

I've read the US is going to redeploy troops to Poland. And pull out of South Korea. Let the South Koreans live the way people do in the North with the massive prisons, experiements on prisoners and starvation to feed a Communist leader.

The ambassador to the US from France was on t.v., he said my God, from reading the papers I'd think the US was in a war with France.

We are.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12246180,00.html

Comments

• Options
    What was I saying about the Americans stamping their feet, just like a spoiled child who cant have it all his own way.
    How pathetic is this behaviour? If you dont agree to kiss US ass like everyone else we'll 'punish' you. And this is the 'democracy' that the USA want to spread world wide is it?
  • Options
    911 really woke America up. Before that, it was so very PC...even if someone hates us they have the right to hate us. After 911 it really is about being with us or against us. So these countries are free to be on Saddam's side. To sell him communications equipment or equipment he can use to create weapons...in exchange for oil like France has done. They can undermine the UN's oil for food and medicine program to make it into oil for German and French goods. But what they won't be able to do is fool the American public into making them rich by buying their goods.

Beyond money, the actions of France and Germany can cost American lives. If Israel hadnt' bombed an Iraqi nuclear power plant built by the French in the early 80's, they'd have nuclear weapons by now. The former top scientist in the Iraqi nuclear weapons program lives near Washington D.C. now.
  • Options
    It shows the breathtaking arrogance of sectors of the US administration as well as some individuals who believe it's the supreme fucking right of the United States of America to do what the fuck they want without anyone else doing so much as voicing their concerns.

France (or Germany, or China, or Russia, or Belgium) are not being hostile against America. They’re not depriving the US of help in its most desperate hour, or attacking it, or insulting it. They are simply exercising their right of veto as members of the UN Security Council and/or NATO because they believe, rightly or wrongly, that there are no grounds for America to launch a war on aggression on a sovereign nation at present. What the fuck is the right of veto there for? Only for the US to use it whenever it wants to prevent its protégée Israel from facing its international obligations? I haven't seen any country boycotting America or making cheap xenophobic jibes and nasty insinuations about the US whenever they have vetoed a UN resolution or pulled out of international agreements; which, I must add, happens a tad too often for anyone's liking.

This is the worse example yet of a bully US government backed by some cretins trying to send the message to the world that it will do what it wants, when it wants it and anyone who dares so much as protest will pay dearly for it.

If some morons don't want to buy French wine anymore let them choke on their Julio Gallo. And let the Bush administration withdraw its troops from Germany as well. I'm sure the Germans will be devastated to seem them go :rolleyes:
  • Options
    but knowing all this, you were all quite happy to trade with the French and Germans before they decided not to follow the UK(and others) in backing the US on invading Iraq?

edited to say this is with reference to pnj's 'comment'
  • Options
    "worst example yet" You're damned right Aladdin. "Yet." We're not going to make people rich who are stabbing us in the back. And you love to mention the UK's economy. Get this straight Aladdin: the US is the largest direct foreign investor in the UK. So even if you get off on Americans being murdered, it hurts the UK too. We're also the largest tourist group whatever you call it to the UK.

And it doesn't take long for the anti-Semitic remarks to start flying does it?

I'm sure there will be plenty of very European anti-Semitic remarks at the peace rally. Jews make up less than 2% of the US population and some of them are against the war. Including: Edward Asner, actor, Edward Lieberman, Senator and candidate for US President.

This war is the first step to creating an independent, unarmed Palestine in 2005. There will never be a Palestine with Hamas running it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    "worst example yet" You're damned right Aladdin. "Yet." We're not going to make people rich who are stabbing us in the back.
    How are they stabbing you in the back? May I remind you that it was YOUR country's past governments who provided Saddam with much of the WMD arsenal he might (or might not) have now? And may I remind you that successive US administrations have never had much of a problem with selling weapons or technology or trading with nations ruled by mad dictators before. "It's okay so far as it doesn't turn against us" eh?

even if you get off on Americans being murdered
    A comment so stupid it doesn't merit an answer. :rolleyes:
    I do not wish anyone to die. Least of all the US soldiers who are being sent to a country far away to fight a war which has absolutely nothing with defending one's country and everything with political games, economic gains and power.
    If there is a war and body bags start arriving home you should be asking yourself whether those soldiers died defending their country or fighting for Bush's private ambitions and the interests of Exxon & co.
    You may also want to do some extra thinking if those soldiers were killed with bullets, shells or- god forbid- chemical agents manufactured in the US and graciously supplied by past US administrations.
    And it doesn't take long for the anti-Semitic remarks to start flying does it?

Oh so asking that Israel complies with the outstanding UN resolutions is anti-semite is it? Funny how you're all crying that Iraq has been in breach of resolutions for 12 years but choose to ignore certain other resolutions that were passed more than 30 years ago.

For your information, there are thousands of Jews in Britain alone who are asking that Israel complies with its outstanding UN resolutions. Some of them are Holocaust survivors. Are they anti-semite too? rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm glad I posted this Aladdin. Because in a small way, you can know, if you care and of course you don't have to, the way the public feels in America right now.

I do wish the US didn't go through the UN in the first place. And there's a flaw in NATO itself to let 3 nations interfere with actions the majority wants.
  • Options
    Or to allow two nations to push through something the majority doesn't want?

What the hell are you blathering about?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Or to allow two nations to push through something the majority doesn't want?

Suggest you recheck the makeup of NATO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    They are simply exercising their right of veto as members of the UN Security Council and/or NATO

And the US can simply exercise its rights in terms of economic, military and diplomatic actions as regards the exercising of those rights.

As to the Germans hating to see the American troops leave? They sure did in 1991-4, because of the amount of money the American military spends in the local economy.
  • Options
    Greenhat's right Toadborg. All of the members of NATO support Britian and the US except France, who doesn't contribute militarily anyway since the 60's, Germany and Belgium.
  • Options
    Sorry, I got confused with the security council there.....:blush:

Pnj considering your massive concern for the people who live in Iraq I am suprised you are so upset with Germany, Belgium and France moving to try and prevent the strengthening of the Turks who are not famous for their friendly attitude to the Kurds whose territory their armed forces will be invading when the war starts
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Sorry, I got confused with the security council there.....:blush:

Pnj considering your massive concern for the people who live in Iraq I am suprised you are so upset with Germany, Belgium and France moving to try and prevent the strengthening of the Turks who are not famous for their friendly attitude to the Kurds whose territory their armed forces will be invading when the war starts

And what use do you think Patriot Missiles will be against the Kurds?
  • Options
    Restating my point Greenie, careful ol boy!
  • Options
    My anger towards Germany and France is that they are getting in the way of us getting Saddam out. Unlike in the UK, we trust Tony Blair and Bush in America and believe when they say Saddam is enabling Al Qaeda .
  • Options
    So you do not critiscise them on moral grounds, merely on the grounds that they are in the way of the actions of your leaders who you fully trust?
  • Options
    Then you are believing lies pnj. Simple as that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Restating my point Greenie, careful ol boy!

Patriot missiles are useful against the Iraqis. Saddam Hussein has missiles and aircraft.
  • Options
    And if you think he'd actually attack Turkey - who's military power alone (without the issue of their NATO membership) would be capable of overtaking Saddam's substantially reduced military - you are again highly gullible.
  • Options
    And if you think he'd actually attack Turkey - who's military power alone (without the issue of their NATO membership) would be capable of overtaking Saddam's substantially reduced military - you are again highly gullible.

Hmmm...I'm supposed to believe he wouldn't attack Turkey...when he did attack Israel (a nation with a significantly more capable military).

You keep trying to pretend that Saddam thinks about the world just the way you do, and ignore his history.
  • Options
    for piss in the pot.
    nations have always looked after their own interests, none more so than america. in 1916 woodrow wilson was re-elected on the slogan "he kept us out of the war". they only joined in... with a year to go, because the germans kept sinking their ships.
    in world war two, america looked away (despite diplomatic pleas for help) when france was occupied and the uk was on the verge of being invaded. during the suez crisis america actively opposed the french and british.they refused to help the uk outright in the falklands war. in 1983 america invaded the british dependancy of Grenada without even telling us!
    lyndon johnson begged the uk to help out in viet-nam. the then prime minister, harold wilson, refused flatly. wilson backed the view of the british people who saw viet nam as an unwinable imperialist war. which is how france and germany now view iraq. they are going to be bullied and punished for standing by what their people believe to be true.
    the american leadership is digging itself into a bigger and bigger hole everyday. proving to the world what bullies they are.
    no one is now alowed to dissagree with america. that cannot be right or good for any of us.
  • Options
    That was a good post MR.. I got a lot out of it.

I still think if someone's hurting you...especially if you see them as doing something that could cause Al Qaeda to hit us with something awful...then for us to keep giving them business...I don't see the point.

The boycotte probably won't happen. But I do think we'll be pulling troops out of Germany. It makes more sense to have them in a country like Poland that supports us. It would also be more sensible in anti-American Europe not to have troops at all. Europe would be happier and it would be better for us.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    That was a good post MR.. I got a lot out of it.

I still think if someone's hurting you...especially if you see them as doing something that could cause Al Qaeda to hit us with something awful...then for us to keep giving them business...I don't see the point.

The boycotte probably won't happen. But I do think we'll be pulling troops out of Germany. It makes more sense to have them in a country like Poland that supports us. It would also be more sensible in anti-American Europe not to have troops at all. Europe would be happier and it would be better for us.
    all very well saying it's a good post but why did america behave like it did in those situations? becuase it was not in their interests to behave any other way. now you condemn and wish to punish those who do the very same. our prime minister at the time of viet-nam, listened to public opinion and saved thousands of british lives. he was also re-elected 4 times! so don't be to quick to judge what will happen to french and german leaders.
    move your troops to poland... who were your enemy in the cold war.... george bush is going to cripple if not kill international respect for america and breed anti americanism. he realy is the enemy of america and the world. and stop fucking associating alqueda with saddam... you make yourself look very foolish. we know your young and inteligent. a lot better educated than the likes of me. so show your country that spending all that money educating you was actualy worth it by seeing. your looking but you aint seeing!
  • Options
    when he did attack Israel (a nation with a significantly more capable military).

And you continually choose to forget that at the time of the last invasion when Saddam indeed launched attacks on Israel, he had considerably more substantial military capability than he does today. The invasion itself, followed by years of inspections and weapons destruction has left him a military threat to noone in the region, save perhaps himself.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    in 1983 america invaded the british dependancy of Grenada without even telling us!

Suggest you learn a bit more about the invasion of Grenada. Scoon requested the intervention. He was your Governor-General. If you didn't know, don't blame the Americans, blame him.
  • Options

And you continually choose to forget that at the time of the last invasion when Saddam indeed launched attacks on Israel, he had considerably more substantial military capability than he does today. The invasion itself, followed by years of inspections and weapons destruction has left him a military threat to noone in the region, save perhaps himself.

Lovely rhetoric. Untrue of course. Now you are pretending to have some expertise at evaluating militaries. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    That statement only serves to show clearly how prepared you are to lie in the face of internationally known facts. so much for your integrity! :rolleyes:

It doesnt take a military expert to know that Saddam has considerably less military capability, its all been duly documented by both inspections regimes and countless analysts.

Just goes to show what a waste of breath it is to even respond to you Greenie.
  • Options
    That statement only serves to show clearly how prepared you are to lie in the face of internationally known facts. so much for your integrity! :rolleyes:

It doesnt take a military expert to know that Saddam has considerably less military capability, its all been duly documented by both inspections regimes and countless analysts.

Just goes to show what a waste of breath it is to even respond to you Greenie.

He has more missiles than he had in 1991, with more range. He has a significant number of warheads that were built to be used with chemical munitions. He has more capable tanks. He has improved the training of the Republican Guard and increased the amount of artillery they have. Training has focused on mobile warfare instead of static warfare.

Your "internationally known facts" aren't facts at all. Of course, you have the expertise to evaluate military assessments, right?