Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The war's already begun.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Good article from the liberal Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A331-2003Feb12.html

Comments

• Options
    At least two "military officials" should learn to keep their mouths shut. :mad:
  • Options
    Wow... It's not often that I see you use the :mad: smilie Greenie.

I would imagine the Iraqis suspected there might be advance special units operating already? It is standard procedure... The SAS (and I'm sure US forces) did the same in Afghanistan well before the assault started, and I'm pretty sure the SAS are already in Iraq as well.

Oops! Sorry Mr Blair, I didn't mean to reveal that ;)
  • Options
    You're right Aladdin, they were in Afghanistan first. Also, Saddam must know they're there too because yesterday it was in several articles on the net that Saddam had moved his Scud missle launchers near mosques and he moved tons of explosives near his oil wells.

Edited for retarded spelling mistakes.
  • Options
    I'm more amused that the Washington Post survey has an "Iraq" option on where you can be from....
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP
    I'm more amused that the Washington Post survey has an "Iraq" option on where you can be from....

So was I.

Which will explain why the Post thinks I'm from there ;)

*agrees with Greenhat*
  • Options
    I know what you both mean...I'm probably screwing up the poles on Sky News. I always take them...and you know how much I think of Tony Blair.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    you know how much I think of Tony Blair.

Worryingly often. :p
  • Options
    Tony Blair is a British hero.

He's hurt his career and his party's standing over a war that isn't popular. And he's done that purely because he sees all the risks, is an insider on all the movements of all the terrorist groups working together and believes he's protecting the UK.

People who don't believe that, need to provide a motive regarding why he'd ruin his career.
  • Options
    Apparently that survey is to target advertising.

What advertising does a US paper target at Iraqi users?:crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Apparently that survey is to target advertising.

What advertising does a US paper target at Iraqi users?:crazyeyes

Bomb shelters?
  • Options
    It wouldn't suprise me......:(
  • Options
    The thing that would be scary, and this is something Tony Blair understands, is not to disrupt Al Qaeda's capabilities in all of its forms.

Then you're living in a dream world that seems safe...but is just ready to be terrorized. I think this is true more of the UK than even the US because you've let in such radical Muslims. No wonder Blair is going to cut immigration in half in the UK.
  • Options
    This is an article about the guidelines being given out for covering the war to the media.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/editorandpublisher/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1817934
  • Options
    May I point out that immigration has next to nothing to do with terrorism.

If a terrorist group wants to make an attack they are probably going to find a way to get past immigration, it is certainly no justification for idiotic unfulfillable, populist promises........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    May I point out that immigration has next to nothing to do with terrorism.

If a terrorist group wants to make an attack they are probably going to find a way to get past immigration, it is certainly no justification for idiotic unfulfillable, populist promises........

Agree entirely. The only function that immigration control can provide in controlling terrorism is in screening those who legally enter the country.
  • Options
    I actually know a lot about this, especially for someone in school. Al Qaeda just recently was found to be making phoney passports in south america for groups the us was favoring to get into the US on temporary visas. That's what made my ears perk up when I heard the guy with the grenade was going to Columbia. There are tons of articles of how the murderers of 911 used our immigration laws against us. Reasons they would want to use the immigration laws would include the ability to get a truck license to ram a gas or you'd call petrol truck into a tunnel, piolet license etc.

In the raide in the UK, the North Africans they picked up with the traces of ricin used the UK's immigration laws against the UK.

I agree that most immigrants are good for the country.
  • Options
    In what manner did the Ricin gang use the laws against us?

They were illegal immigrants, they were identified as such and they were monitored and then arrested.

The real problem would be if they had been granted legal access into this country and had been able to carry out an attack, that would raise serious questions about the procedure, the fact is though that all such attempts have been thwarted......