Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Philippines expel Iraqi over terrorist ties.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Further proof of Iraqi involvement with terrorists.

MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippines government is expelling an Iraqi diplomat, accusing the envoy of having ties to the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group.

Second Secretary Husham Husain has been given 48 hours to leave the country, according to a statement by Philippine Foreign Secretary Blas Ople.

The Philippine government said it had intelligence that the Iraqi diplomat has ties to the Islamic extremist group, which is one of several outfits fighting for a separate Muslim state in the south of the predominantly Catholic Philippines.

The Abu Sayyaf is also believed to have links with Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Philippines expel Iraqi over terrorist ties.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Further proof...

Further to what?
  • Options
    I believe Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Iraq and North Korea are working together against the West in general and America in particular.
  • Options
    I believe Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Iraq and North Korea are working together against the West in general and America in particular.

Go on, add France, Germany and Russia, you know you want to! :D

There is not the slightest indication, let alone proof of such thing happening. This is presumably the combination of fear, lies and spin spread by our governments, and an attempt to simplify international affairs that makes you put everyone you perceive as enemies of the US or "the West" in the same bag.

It is also the single most ridiculous thing I've had to read on this site for a long, long time. No offence mate, but to say that the above is the biggest load of bollocks ever is the understatement of the century.
  • Options
    Powell is going to accuse them of aiding Saddam in the UN tomorow.
  • Options
    yea, but just because powell is going to stand up in front of the U.N and say it, doesn't make it true. It smacks of being paranoid and wanting to scare the american public even further into supporting war

Does no-one question authority anymore these days?
  • Options
    And given Powell's record to date (and the rest of the US and UK governments) can you trust a word he says about links between Al Qaeda and Iraq?

Isn't this a case of trying to win the international community over by throwing all the mud you can, regardless of whether is true?

Should we recall the 'evidence' we have on a link again?

None. Nil. Nada. Not a bit. Fuck all. Hot air. Snake oil.

If you can't see anything else at least you could appreciate 2 things:

1. A British Intelligence report said last week there was no evidence whatsoever of a link between Iraq and terrorists.

2. The very best the US administration has been able to come up with is talking of past 'contacts' between Al Qaeda and Iraq (which even if true would a) not prove a thing, and b) make the US government officially an ally of terrorists), talk of a man who went to the doctors in Baghdad as 'proof' of collaboration :rolleyes: , and try to present a tape of a man claiming to be bin Laden talking about supporting the Iraqi people as 'proof' of a link.

As far as I'm concerned Bush, Powell, Blair and co. are as much a bunch of lying, deceiving pathetic individuals as Saddam is; at least concerning "links" between Iraq and Al Qaeda. If you choose not to see this then you might as well believe Saddam is in fact a two-headed extraterrestrial from Pluto who has adopted human form and is trying to colonise the earth. And I get the feeling if your government said this was true you would believe it with all your heart.
  • Options
    No the facts make it true. The facts of how France and Germany undermined the food and medicine for oil program and allowed Saddam to buy devices and equpment he could use to manufacture weapons and chemicals and biological agents instead of buying food and medicine for his people.

But why trust your country or other free nations. You're educated people: trust Saddam.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that Saddam is faultless or that it shouldn’t under any circumstances be disarmed by force. All I'm saying pnj is that on the subject of a link between Iraq and terrorism it's looking increasingly obvious that Bush and Blair have misled (if not lied to) their nations. There might or might not be a case for war. But twisting facts and telling lies in order to win your case does not do any good to anyone. If anything it goes to show that it has always been the intention of Bush and Blair to go to war (despite their assurances to the contrary) and will go to any lengths to achieve their goal. And that in turn makes you question the real reasons why Bush and Blair are pushing for an invasion.
  • Options

I was saying that we shouldn't necessarily believe everything we are told. Of course Saddam is a ruthless dictator who poses a threat to world peace and stability. Therefore the United Nations should continue its work before the US and UK go running ahead gun-ho towards war.

war should only be used as a last resort. We haven't given the weapons inspectors long enough to come to a concensus which can be discussed with all the members of the security council to see what action should be taken. America and UK should respect the rights of other nations to demand more time and evidence before marching off to war.

The reason the French and German governments are following the stance they have taken because the majority of the population in these countries are against war. This is the main reason Schroeder got re-elected in Germany, because he appealed to the pacifist sentiments of a nation that has (for obvious historical reasons) an aversion towards partaking in armed combat.

The governments of these countries are following an ideal which the american people claim to hold dear to their hearts - democracy - and if an electorate are against war then the government that is responsible to that electorate must respect their wishes.

If only prime minister Blair would listen to the majority of people in Britain who are against war. He should stop dictating to us what we need to do and listen to what the people want him to concentrate on - railways, education, hospitals, asylum seekers. Real domestic issues that need tackled.

I do not dispute the American's right to go to war, as I believe the majority of the population there are in favour of it. Just respect other countries right to stay out of it.
  • Options
    Throw in some truth about the deals France and Germany have with Iraq and I'd agree with your points about them. And Russia is well-positioned to make out if sanctions are taken off Iraq.

You can't wait with terrorism. And regarding inspections. It's about compliance: Iraq needs to show it has destroyed weapons the world knew it had 12 years ago. If they've already destroyed them...show the UN the field where they did it.

France and Germany are working with Iraq to hide Iraq's non-compliance so they can make more money.
  • Options
    You can't wait with terrorism.

What does the war on Iraq have to do with terrorism?
  • Options
    Come on now, that is a bit of a hard one to swallow. I am sure Germany and France (even given the current economic slowdown in the Eurozone and in particular Germany) are not so desperate for trade that they will jump into bed with saddam.

Come on really.. do you not think that the international community would have come out in force and rebuked France and Germany if there really was such conspired collaboration between these nations and the iraqi regime?

Would the UN not have something to say about France and Germany conspiring to stop the work of the weapons inspectors, i.e helping to hide Iraq's non-compliance??

Perhaps you are right. Maybe I don't know this topic? I'd appreciate some solid facts that prove this Franco-German-Iraqi Axis:p

I'm not so sure about the "You can't wait with terrorism" comment either. Tony Blair has allowed Republican and Loyalist terrorists to continue to run riot in Northern Ireland, part of his own country.

You should always sort out the mess in your own back yard before starting to deal with others.

Again back to the point I wanted to make which is for Britain to stay out of this conflict as long as reasonably possible and concentrate on dealing with the terrorists operating within its own country.
  • Options
    That last point is really valid. In the US, they took 3 Coast Guard ships off the Great Lakes and now they're off Iraq. And like in the UK, we have terrorists here. France is owed over a billion in oil from Iraq for the sale of equipment and technologies. That's what makes me believe they have other motives.

Most of Europe did come out on the side of the UK and and the US. Only Germany, France and that waffle country didn't.

I feel relieved that the war's a done deal. There's already special op forces in Iraq. I trust Bush and Blair.

To add to your last point, which I agree with, my only concern is if Al Qaeda could use the war against Iraq as a way to recruit. But the war will be over soon and the world knows how Muslims are in charge in Afghanistan.
  • Options
    I know its scary to think about isn't it. Al-Queda will certainly recruit more people when the war breaks out. And the scarier thought is that at least when you are fighting the Iraqis in Iraq you know who you are targeting, with Al-Queda you don't and they can strike any time, any place.

Thats why it must be terrifying for the people of the US, not knowing when and where the next strike will come from. It will be the same in the UK, as I am fairly confident we'll be the next ones to get it.

I'm just a pacifist and don't believe in resorting to war. It kinda makes me afraid of where it will all lead to. But if our troops are sent to battle, then I wish them all the best. They are a hell of a lot braver than I am

Oh lets just hope its over quickly with minimal damage.
  • Options
    They're saying the actual war will only take a few weeks. But setting up a democracy in Iraq will take a long time.