Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anti-Americanism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In my schools politics society today we discussed what anti-americanism is and why does it exist? What do you guys think? Think its more of a recennt thing? (personally i cant stand bush, im gonna start reading Micheal Moores "Stupid White Men" soon, not this week though im going skiing in America and its apparentyl banned there...is that freedom of speech?:rolleyes: )

Comments

• Options
    Re: Anti-Americanism
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    im going skiing in America and its apparentyl banned there... rolleyes: )
    well buggar me. is it against the law to think yet?
  • Options
    Problem is that what the hawks mean by "Anti-Americanism" is simply anyone who criticizes the policies of the US government. This is merely another narrowminded attempt to derail any possible public debate with arrogant accusations and labels.

What the hawks fail to comprehend is that public debate and dissent are the very principles upon which our nation was founded and which enabled it to develop into the political and economic power it has become. Current global economic crises notwithstanding.

Sadly, unless the hawks and their authoritarian agenda are nipped in the bud soon, many of the founding principles of liberty, justice, and government accountability will be little more than footnotes in the pages of history.
  • Options
    That book isn't banned there. You can buy it on Amazon.com...an American company.
  • Options
    Like Clandestine says, I don't think there really is any mainstream anti-Americanism, it is a term used by the right to try and defend their policies...

It is of course an accusation that has been aired more and more recently, bizarrely coinciding with increased critiscism of the current US administrations policies not the US as a whole.

'Stupid white men' wasn't banned but the original publishers refused to publish the book in the wake of 11/9 because of it's critiscims of the administration.....
  • Options
    In my schools politics society today we discussed what anti-americanism is and why does it exist?

I would say that Anti-Americanism is hostility to the uncultured materialistic yankee way of life America imposes on other nations. Why does it exist? Well it is quite simple - America refuses to mind its own damn business! Yankee go home! Many of us in the Amexican South have been saying that for over a hundred years!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich

I would say that Anti-Americanism is hostility to the uncultured materialistic yankee way of life America imposes on other nations. Why does it exist? Well it is quite simple - America refuses to mind its own damn business! Yankee go home! Many of us in the Amexican South have been saying that for over a hundred years!

Isolationism will solve nothing. It will only cause more wars.
  • Options
    Isolationism? How about America learning how to respect the national sovereignty of other nations in this world for a change? How is that Isolationism? That goes double for Great Britain as well, that is another nation of Jacobins with global ambitions. Who appointed this arrogant self righteous imperialist hypocrite to be the policeman of the world? I know this may come as a shock to the Yankees but there are some people in this world who do not want to be like Massachusetts.
  • Options
    there are some people in this world who do not want to be like Massachusetts.

Most people in the United States don't want to be like Massachusetts.

But since you are so sure that is the intent, can you explain to me how the Philippines are like Massachusetts? How about Germany? Japan? South Korea? Thailand? Puerto Rico? Panama? Grenada? Haiti? Lebanon? Honduras? Nicaragua? El Salvador? New Guinea? The Solomons? Okinawa? Kuwait? Diego Garcia? Turkey?
  • Options
    Isolationism? How about America learning how to respect the national sovereignty of other nations in this world for a change? How is that Isolationism? That goes double for Great Britain as well, that is another nation of Jacobins with global ambitions. Who appointed this arrogant self righteous imperialist hypocrite to be the policeman of the world? I know this may come as a shock to the Yankees but there are some people in this world who do not want to be like Massachusetts.

So its all a big conspiracy to control the world. So we all now where your coming from, is it left wing or right wing. Clandestine has dibs on the right wing.
  • Options
    So its all a big conspiracy to control the world. So we all now where your coming from, is it left wing or right wing. Clandestine has dibs on the right wing.

I do not believe in the stupidity of the so-called "left wing" or the so-called "right wing." No it is not any big "conspiracy" to control the world. It is called Geopolitics. See former NSA advisor Brzenski's the Grand Chessboard.
    Most people in the United States don't want to be like Massachusetts.

Yes that is very true. Unfortunately throughout hundreds of years of American history charlatans from Massachusetts have thought otherwise.
    But since you are so sure that is the intent, can you explain to me how the Philippines are like Massachusetts? How about Germany? Japan? South Korea? Thailand? Puerto Rico? Panama? Grenada? Haiti? Lebanon? Honduras? Nicaragua? El Salvador? New Guinea? The Solomons? Okinawa? Kuwait? Diego Garcia? Turkey?

Sounds like a list of "evil" nations and "evil" territories to me. Perhaps you should add South Carolina to that last, very very evil place indeed. Perhaps it is time to burn a witch on an axis of evil, not a problem for the righteous crusader of all that is good in the universe! Hallelujah! Glory, nuke his ass! Of course, we could flat out write their constitutions.
  • Options
    LOL. How interesting that my home state has suddenly become such a focus of geo political thought. Don't know many charlatans from there however, save perhaps the Kennedy family! lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    LOL. How interesting that my home state has suddenly become such a focus of geo political thought. Don't know many charlatans from there however, save perhaps the Kennedy family! lol.

Damn, Clandestine. We agree on something!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Damn, Clandestine. We agree on something!

:eek: ;)
  • Options
    Perhaps there is a god after all! lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Like Clandestine says, I don't think there really is any mainstream anti-Americanism, it is a term used by the right to try and defend their policies...

It is of course an accusation that has been aired more and more recently, bizarrely coinciding with increased critiscism of the current US administrations policies not the US as a whole.

'Stupid white men' wasn't banned but the original publishers refused to publish the book in the wake of 11/9 because of it's critiscims of the administration.....
    Moore related the tale, on Radio 4's 'Start The Week' (presented by Andrew 'Jug Ears' Marr), of how the publishers refused to release the book because he declined to rewrite the book after 911. After Moore gave a talk to some librarians, letting drop the news that the book would probably never reach the shops, they started a campaign for it's release. Don't mess with librarians. It's always the quiet ones...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Perhaps there is a god after all! lol.

I also agree with you on Sen Kennedy. He is just as bad as Pres Nixon.