Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

three days.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
pissinthepot, have you got your three days suppyl of ducktape and plastic bags ready as your leader has asked?

Comments

• Options
    Funny you should ask MR. Both my parents work so my little sister and I have special time after school and before they get home. (I call it the hell hours.) Now when I have to wrap up one of her half eaten, slimey things in plastic wrap, I totally get it stuck to itself, me, everything but the damned food I'm supposed to be wrapping. And I got duct tape stuck to myself at Christmas instead of the lights.

So imagine my surprise to learn from the head of the CIA via TV, with my sister alongside me, that we should be getting plastic wrap and duct tape for our windows just in case Al Qaeda attacks...for me Cape May NJ. (Cause if they'd strike at the heart of the salt water taffy market, America is doomed.)

Anyway, they cut from him speaking to a shot of people buying the plastic wrap and duct tape and my little sister looks at the T.V. and looks at me, back at the T.V. and says: we're dead.

Point being...well, the kid is right. But also: What's the point of some of these warnings? Were sales in companies making plastic wrap down? The duct could come in handy for her mouth.
  • Options
    someone is taking the piss. do any of you actualy go out and buy this stuff in the belief that for under ten dollars you can have a chemical/bio shelter in which to continue your comfy little television lives.
    pizza delivery men in chemi suits. the world has gone truly fucking bonkers.
    by the way... if theres a nuclear threat. pull a door off it's hinges and lean it against a table and cover it with soil. "protect and survive".
  • Options
    Every home in Israel is by law obligated to have a safety/shelter-room.
    Under the gulfwar people would tape in their windows in casea bomb should blow near by, so they wouldn't get hurt by the glass splinters.
    Now they're all getting the gas-masks back, and their thought about it is "Well, we've tried all of this once before".
  • Options
    Just like they tried Sharon once before, obviously some electorates never learn. Unfotunate that Labour didnt win, they might well be moving the country toward peace rather than continued paranoia.
  • Options
    People are buying it MR. Not down by me. I'm just in a seashore town. I mean, what would they attack...some whale watching boat.

Clandestine, I don't think some of those groups like Hamas or Hezbollah and now Al Qaeda who is also meeting in Lebenon would let Isreal exist peacefully.
  • Options
    From being on the site and reading news articles about the pending war and the war on terror, I get the impression that Americans trust their government as being truthful more than Europeans do. (Don't know if this is good or bad.) But maybe it comes from a positive influence of communist ideas that got adapted a bit. So Europe is more left in general and the left always blames its government where-as conservatives see the problem with "those people out there". We do kick Presidents out...but I'm talking in general. Because people here are for the war...67%.

Any truth to that thought?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

Clandestine, I don't think some of those groups like Hamas or Hezbollah and now Al Qaeda who is also meeting in Lebenon would let Isreal exist peacefully.

Many of those have sworn they won't. Arafat doesn't seem to eager about it either.

Clandestine knows why the Israeli population elected Sharon, he just likes to circle around the same thing 24/7.
  • Options
    No less than the right wing hawks circle around the same tired unsubstantiated allegations and continual propaganda of fear.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    No less than the right wing hawks circle around the same tired unsubstantiated allegations and continual propaganda of fear.

Fear is not propaganda. In Israel it's reality.
    I dare you to say that it's not true!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Fear is not propaganda. In Israel it's reality.
    I dare you to say that it's not true!
    i have to agree with Jacqueline the Ripper . wether or not you like her countries current leaders or not, they live with fear. you can argue all you like that the fear may possibly be far worse under sharon than some alternative. the reality is the israelies and the palestinians are living with great fear and uncertainty. i don't believe for a moment that getting rid of sharon would change much at all. more and more people in the middle east are living with growing uncertainty which is growing into fear. this fear is spreading throughout the world. do you know anywhere thats safe someone was asking in another thread. the simple answer is no.
    welcome to the age of fear.
  • Options
    MR you are so right.
  • Options
    Technically nowhere is safe but really the chances of a successful attack on a developed nation are very small.
  • Options
    Toadborg I know I'm being thick but they had someone from the Red Cross on tv explaining the use of the plastic wrap and I thought to myself....I really don't get this. I know in the 50's room made to withstand radiation had special air filtration systems. And as an off-handed remark he said and of course with a radiation dispersion bomb you'd go to the cellar. Hello, live in a beach town, no cellars.
  • Options
    Yes, I think the actual practical measures required to survive a nuclear attack are well beyond the scope of an average household really........
  • Options
    My worry is that I have a place to go to if 'War' happens but I have to cross the Irish sea....so...how will I know the time is right and what if I leave it too late.

I have money to pay someone to take me over but will I be able to use banks, will there be anyone to take me?

The place I'm going to has windmill power and an outside loo (Basically a hole in the ground), there's 7 acres for growing, tools and equipment I may need but what if I can't get the seeds to plant my crops.

Everyone always imagines that they will be able to get out and go into hiding somewhere and yet you never know when the right time is!! Perhaps I should go now?
  • Options
    "My worry is that I have a place to go to if 'War' happens but I have to cross the Irish sea...."

St. Patrick. Is that you?

Actually, what you described sounds nice. ('cept the hole in the ground part.)