Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NATO becomes irrelevant.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The United States will go ahead with plans to boost Turkey's defenses in advance of a possible war with Iraq despite objections from NATO allies France, Germany and Belgium, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Monday.

Read it and weep human shield wanna be's.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for the subtle clarification of your earlier "R.i.p. NATO" post.

I was unsure if Rest In Peace NATO implied that NATO was irrelevant. Now I know....
  • Options
    Aless...I'm expecting more.

I want an argument on the other side. Rumsfield just announced this. Where's the debate?
  • Options
    hmmm perhaps it got tired of the persistent badgering and went on vacation. ;)
  • Options
    Well that let's him off the hook. But you Mr. Clandestine, I know you have a valid viewpoint.

I'm waiting. *taps foot on floor*
  • Options
    See post above... ;)
  • Options
    K- I'll debate the left wing side too. (I heard that.)

Instead of going through diplomatic routes, the US wants to risk 250,000 American lives plus the lives of British and Australian troops. When what would be so bad if Iraq is tightly monitored and then the world goes in next winter to disarm Saddam if he doesn't comply? Also, pnjsurferpoet, you said self reliance is a core value of America. It's a core value of all free people and the US needs to at least give the impression that it respects that if it is to form any true coalition.

*smirk!*
  • Options
    Talking to yourself is the first sign of impending insanity, or so it's said. Im worried for you my young friend, truly I am. ;)
  • Options
    I'm learning from Rumsfield. Just say the worst thing you can say...gets the debate going. Like calling France part of old Europe. blahaaaaaaa My French teacher said that was the worst thing anyone could say to the French. (Yes, I'm taking French. This girl I liked was taking it or I would have been taking Spanish.)

I still think his comments would make for a good debate about diplomacy.
  • Options
    or serious lack thereof...
  • Options
    Right, or lack. Also, if the US wanted to do what it wanted to do. It shouldn't have gone to the UN in the first place regarding Iraq.