Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UK Manufacturing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Figures out this week showed UK manufacturing output down by 4%. As a manufacturing engineer (with no job) this concerns me greatly. So the campaign starts here:

Support the British workforce: Buy british goods!

Comments

• Options
    Which should be coupled with boycotting any British firms who switch production to low-wage countries in order to maximise profits.
  • Options
    'Buying British' is not enough.

The manufacturing sector is weak because of poor global demand.
  • Options
    Yes let's all drive only TVRs and Nobles!!!

Eat British Beef!
  • Options
    Originally posted by RoyalSubject
    Yes let's all drive only TVRs and Nobles!!!

Eat British Beef!
    :(
    In geography we watched a video (which Doc Roc had not seen all of) about battery farming. It was awful it showed the horrible conditions the animals are kept in how they are inhumanly killed and how there are hardly any health checks. I now trying to be very cautious about what i eat but its probably gonna be difficult. I hardly ever eat fast food anyway its icky but im even more against it now.
  • Options
    A lot of factories around here are closing and being moved to malasia and places like that for a cheaper workforce. I reckon there's gonna be a huge unemployment rise.
  • Options
    Bizarre that some of those that supposedly support the British worker so much are opposed to the Euro which would be the best boost for the british manufacturing sector.........
  • Options
    Alledgedly.

Still won't help you compete with the slave wages applicable in Far Eastern countries...
  • Options
    Consumer boycotts are the most effective weapons when you're tackling issues like this. Unfortunately not enough people join in and they are not effective. But if for example everyone boycotted a company like Dyson, which has recently switched production to Asia, other companies would think carefully before making such moves.
  • Options
    But hey lets not forget the most important thing here.........

This is just part of the capitalist system and it is the one that works the best so we shouldn't really complain, that would be silly..........

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    In the US it would hard to support our manufacturing people. This part is made in this country, that one is made over there. Besides me, I don't know what's been totally made in the US.