Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Help! (Girls?)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really need a dress for my college ball as the company I ordered one from online sent me the wrong one and overcharged my card and are pissing me off SO I need another one.

I have searched everywhere online for ball gowns, formal evening wear, prom dresses, party dresses etc and still haven't found anywhere that stocks this kind of thing.

Aside from Monsoon (which I will have a look in later next week) does anyone know where I can get a size 14 ball dress? (I specifically stated my size there because I found a really nice one in a shop which will remain nameless but apparently they don't do clothes for 'fat' people. :rolleyes: @them!)

Comments

• Options
    Try a fancie dress shop, they do formal ware somtimes.
  • Options
    go round some independant stores in and around the centre of town.

also you could try wedding stores, they aften have fancy wear and even some bridesmaid dresses just look like nice ball downs now-a-days.
  • Options
    try ebay, they sell clothes on there too, ive just had a look and they do have some. depends what you are after though.ebay - ballgowns
  • Options
  • Options
    Debenhams have a nice selection of ball gowns, I got mine from there, although I had to go for the next size up, as did most of my mates at uni, but they go up to size 18, so your safe. Resonably priced as well mine cost £80.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    the georgian window on saddler street has some beautiful dresses in sometimes.

Ah! One who knows!

Alas, I am assuming like last year that their entire stock will have been taken by the rest of the college by now!!
  • Options
    TK Maxx do some good ones. And Debenhams too as others have suggested. Good luck.

And there's nothing wrong with a size 14. I know a shop in Bristol that only does a few things up to a size 12 :rolleyes: - one not-very-tactful customer said to her friend some comment about not doing clothes for fat people when I discarded a skirt that was too small. She was very posh and loud & I don't think realised how rude she was being, silly cow.

Anyway, good luck with your dress search.
  • Options
    What kind of budget are you on?

Low budget: Hennes (there are some Marilyn-esque dresses, and some ones with netting too)
    Big Budget: Ghost (I got a dress in the sales which fits just right and I'm a 12/14), Karen Millen

Have you checked out the department stores, John Lewis, Selfridges etc? There's usually a good range of dresses/evening wear there.
    I also find that the better cut the dress is, the smaller the size I have to buy - if the size is bigger than usual, it's the dress not you!
  • Options
    yeah, i was going to say dept. stores - i've got two 'ball' dresses, and i got one from Allders and the other from Macy's in NY (i know, how posh am i :p It was $35, ok?!) Most of my friends got their dresses for the ball from department stores too.
  • Options
    The only thing that worries me about department stores is that everyone will head there, which is why I tried to buy one online in the first place.

I don't want to end up wearing the same dress as five other people. Do you think this could happen?
  • Options
    Consortium do gorgeous gowns, but you are looking at £120 minimum. They are in Frasers.