Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

That Bush speech

some gems from last night's performance...

ON HEALTH:
The American system of medicine is a model of skill and innovation, with a pace of discovery that is adding good years to our lives. Yet for many people, medical care costs too much -- and many have no coverage at all. These problems will not be solved with a nationalized health care system that dictates coverage and rations care.

Well it works for everyone else…
Instead, we must work toward a system in which all Americans have a good insurance policy, choose their own doctors, and seniors and low-income Americans receive the help they need.

So no change there… the rich get top medical care and the poor has to rely on charities.

ON DRUG ADDITION AND TREATMENT:
Our nation is blessed with recovery programs that do amazing work. One of them is found at the Healing Place Church in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. A man in the program said, "God does miracles in people's lives, and you never think it could be you."
:lol:

ON FOREIGN POLICY:
In the Middle East, we will continue to seek peace between a secure Israel and a democratic Palestine.
This would be hilarious if it wasn’t so tragic. Is he just blatantly taking the piss or is his vision of “seeking peace” completely different from everyone else’s?
Across the Earth, America is feeding the hungry -- more than 60 percent of international food aid comes as a gift from the people of the United States. As our nation moves troops and builds alliances to make our world safer, we must also remember our calling as a blessed country is to make this world better.
What he fails to mention is that all this food aid is barely 10% of what is needed to survive. A more effective approach would be canceling all Third World debt immediately and invest heavily in Fair Trade initiatives. To his credit, this is not Bush’s or America’s fault alone but everyone’s.

AND LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WHAT YOU’VE BEEN WAITING FOR: BUSH’S WISDOM ON THE “WAR ON TERROR AND IRAQ!”:
Today, the gravest danger in the war on terror, the gravest danger facing America and the world, is outlaw regimes that seek and possess nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. These regimes could use such weapons for blackmail, terror, and mass murder. They could also give or sell those weapons to terrorist allies, who would use them without the least hesitation.
This threat is new; America's duty is familiar. Throughout the 20th century, small groups of men seized control of great nations, built armies and arsenals, and set out to dominate the weak and intimidate the world. In each case, their ambitions of cruelty and murder had no limit. In each case, the ambitions of Hitlerism, militarism, and communism were defeated by the will of free peoples, by the strength of great alliances, and by the might of the United States of America.
:lol::lol::lol: No doubt lack of time prevented him from reminding everyone that many of those people who “seized control of great nations, built armies and arsenals, and set out to dominate the weak and intimidate the world” were once great allies of the USA, and while this was so America wasn’t terribly concerned about their ambitions of Hitlerism or militarism. Including (but not exclusive to) Francisco Franco, Augusto Pinochet and, lest we forget, Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.
Vintage stuff!
Before September the 11th, many in the world believed that Saddam Hussein could be contained. But chemical agents, lethal viruses and shadowy terrorist networks are not easily contained. Imagine those 19 hijackers with other weapons and other plans -- this time armed by Saddam Hussein.
When in doubt or need of reassurance quote September 11th- it works wonders.
The dictator who is assembling the world's most dangerous weapons has already used them on whole villages -- leaving thousands of his own citizens dead, blind, or disfigured.
And Bush should know about it, since his country happily provided many of the said weapons, and funnily enough didn’t seem to care for all those poor Iraqi citizens at the time.
We Americans have faith in ourselves, but not in ourselves alone. We do not know -- we do not claim to know all the ways of Providence, yet we can trust in them, placing our confidence in the loving God behind all of life, and all of history.
May He guide us now. And may God continue to bless the United States of America.
Don’t worry Geroge, I’m sure God is all the way behind you in your moral crusade to bring “freedom” to the world.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dumb ass, Bush that is.
    I agree with the war for varying reasons, I still think we need UN support though.
    As for Bush, he's just an idiot redneck hick.
  • Options
    I wish I could post something surprising here...but I really liked the speech. And the idea of hydrogen fuel cells was one of the most interesting ideas. You know, if we didn't feel so under attack by Al Qaeda or experience the hatred, jealousy and resentment on the Web, maybe the United States wouldn't be attacking countries out of fear. As it is now, did you notice Iran was mentioned last night as a place where people are fighting for democracy and "we're going to support them". Israel already said if Iran builds this one nuclear power plant, they are going to bomb it. I have no doubt they will...they bombed Saddam's.
  • Options
    To give Bush some credit, a few things he said were encouraging. Like his support of clean fuel technology for cars. He still refuses to talk about reducing industrial pollution or embracing quotas set up in the Kyoto agreement, but it is still a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    I haven't studied economics or really advanced math yet. But I read that Kyoto used a baseline that benefited Germany because it was the year they took in East Germany. And then it gives China a break because it's a developing country. When in fact, the developing countries have the worst air...Indonesia and Malaysia comes to mind. That's why I can't decide if I support Kyoto or not even though I surf and do care about the environment. Also, in Canada there were a lot of articles about the hundreds of thousands of jobs that would be lost because of it. The articles were from the country's right in Alberta. (Alberta is also Canada's fuel producing province.)
  • Options
    All I heard was more typical confusion of terminology and issues, rhetorical diatribe, over-dramatised sentimentality, and almost zero qualified substantiation of his long running allegations to justify his warmongering. Nothing new from the White House sad to say, but not surprising.
  • Options
    Aladdin - thanks for that - I think it benefits from being broken down into the uselss soundbites that it was. It really scares me that even tough he obviously is talking shite, some people still think it was great speech that offered hope.

His view of those countries who sell and exchange weapons etc is so awful, as he has no ability for self analysis...

how can he (And thousands of Americans) be so blind.

here's hoping that he is out in the next election (OF COURSE HE WILL BE).

If this was the best he could come up with in an attempt to make people vote for him again then he is deluded!!
  • Options
    PS - why is it that he had to say all that 'God loves America' shit!!
    does that still work in America...are people that stupid?
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

America has one of the highest number of god-fearing, church-going folk in the world.

I went to America a few months before 911, and then again a few months afterwards. And if there was a lot of usage of 'God Save America' before the attacks, you have no idea how spread it is now. I must have seen that phrase at least 20 times a day during my holiday: on the road, in shop windows, on homes...

The funniest thing was stopping in a little family-run diner in Ohio. The owners would put the Vatican to shame in terms of sense of religion. The words God and Jesus were found absolutely everywhere from the menus to the Specials lunch blackboard. They even had a display unit selling Bible food- "nutrition as God had intended" in which they sold only the food that gets a mention in the Bible.

Oh well, at least wine is allowed. :)
  • Options

sure, as a majority of americans beleive in God or other diety, it plays well with the people being addressed. as much as you may despise religion, you should respect ones right to beleive in one.
  • Options
    The religious right support Bush so he wants their votes in the coming elections. Also, he's pretty religious...Southern Prostestant influence in his thinking.
  • Options
    Apologies for any offence

its just that I find it so hard to accept America as a 'religious' country when they show no signs of having any understanding of other religion and religious faith in other countries.

Personally I believe that the god fearing American right are in many ways brainwashed...Along with their swearing allegiance to the flag stuff.
  • Options
    Religiosity runs high in America, however religiosity isnt spirituality but rather adherence to creed and doctrine and affiliation with a given church body. America itself is about as spiritually inclined as a copy of Hustler magazine (which is more honest about the state of the nations morality even if it is a trash publication).

Ive little doubt that if the God of Christianity exists, he has never blessed the connivance, duplicity, and overt/covert militarism and economic power-mongering of my nation. All these things are the perview of the other guy... :lol:

Basically, individuals may be sincere Christians (though Id not say that of any of our current corrupt leaders) but pluralistic nations cannot be by definition.
  • Options
    "The course of this nation does not depend on the decisions of others." The message to every European's favorite Iraqi dictator was that oil contracts with French companies and German self-delusion are not going to save you. The United States will do what must be done.

From an editorial in the NYPOST
  • Options
    i think this summarizes his speech nicely (2003-01-29 comic)
    www.little-gamers.com
    :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    [B did you notice Iran was mentioned last night as a place where people are fighting for democracy and "we're going to support them". Israel already said if Iran builds this one nuclear power plant, they are going to bomb it. I have no doubt they will...they bombed Saddam's. [/B]
    iran is going to be helped build democracy...don't make me fucking laugh pot. the israelis have just asked if they can put fighter planes in turkey so they can attack iran. with american backing they will do. this is your dumbass idea of helping iran then? who the fuck do you and the israelis think you are to go bombing someone elses eforts of moving into the 21st century? watch this space. IRAN WILL BE ATTACKED SOON. to help them of course.
    as for few cells. it's all hot air bullshit speak. sound bites that will be forgotten.
  • Options
    Especially because they dont go out hunting for control of the world's next richest oil supplies just to switch to alternative energy sources on any mass scale. Detroit and the oil industry arent done with their love affair nor the American for his or her automobile.

Dont let drivel put stars in your eyes pnj, there was no substance, alot of empassioned and sentimental condescention, flag waving, false piety (you certainly cant believe that anyone getting to the top spot in the nation is not corrupt), and fist waving. All of what we had before with a little more fatherlyness.

He didnt convince me of anything save his frighteningly transparent insincerity and propagandising. He also didnt fail to cloud the issue between the WoT and attacking Iraq. lol. He's no doubt muttering it to himself so often that he actually thinks unsubstantiated and unproven allegation is defacto truth. :eek2:
  • Options
    The speech worked in America. The backing for the war was 47% before the speech and has risen to 67%.

If you want to understand America, not that you should agree with America, this is a core value Bush expressed.

"The course of this nation does not depend on the decisions of others."

• Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The speech worked in America. The backing for the war was 47% before the speech and has risen to 67%.

If you want to understand America, not that you should agree with America, this is a core value Bush expressed.

"The course of this nation does not depend on the decisions of others."

Which is why America is hated so much by poorer nations!!
  • Options
    pnj, our fellow countrymen per capita are have one of the highest rates of ignorance when it comes to reality outside of the US, so soaring popularity rates and the inability to differentiate between hollow emotional, jingoistic, rah rah Patriotic diatribe and substantiatiated fact really do not surprise me.

If we go to war unilaterally, those who are cheering now will be out on the streets with their fists in the air shouting for Bush's blood when the whole geo-political situation in the Middle East blows up in our faces as a cause of his half-truths and incessant war-mongering. Mark my words in years to come.
  • Options
    We're not hated by poorer nations. We give more than 50% of the world's food aid.

Fundamentalist don't like America because of our religious freedom. We have separation of church and state. They hate that. And they'll hate us even more in the near future because America is not going to allow any country to be an enabler of terror.

France will be the hated country when the Iraqi exiles are in power by April. They allowed Saddam to use the oil for food and medicine funds to buy technologies that will be used against the US and the free world. Anyone who is ignorant of what just happened in London- the Al Qaeda operative coming from Baghdad to a Northern Iraq Al Qaeda cell that murdered someone last Spring with ricin to London with ricin...has their own motives. And they're not in the best interests of the UK.
  • Options
    Don't be so gullible pnj. Our food aid is a drop in the bucket of world need and when compared to how much we take from these porrer countries in terms of economic strength for ourselves its like giving a few coins to the homeless guy on the street.

I suggest you stop basing your whole world view on the rhetoric of Bush and start examining what the rest of the world has to say about us. It isnt pleasant.

Perhaps when youve grown up a bit and experienced life outside the US (if you ever decide to spend time as an ex-pat) youll have a more objective view on how sanitanized the information braodcast to the public in the US truly is. Until then youll have to learn to sift the fact from the propganda for yourself, from whichever side does the talking (including, yes Greeny, the left).
  • Options
    Fundamentalist Whats?

I think Clandestine is so right. We in the West know not what it is like to live on the streets, begging for food, shelter and compassion.

We do not know the hardship that war can bring (even during the 1st and 2nd world war people didn't experience what other nations have since)

If Bush is determined to expand his empire by crushing each rebel state one by one until he reaches France, then we will all suffer as much if not more than those poorer countries who see America, with all its wealth, handing out breadcrumbs to them with one hand and bombing them to pieces with the other.
  • Options
    Fundamentalist Whats?

I think Clandestine is so right. We in the West know not what it is like to live on the streets, begging for food, shelter and compassion.

We do not know the hardship that war can bring (even during the 1st and 2nd world war people didn't experience what other nations have since)

If Bush is determined to expand his empire by crushing each rebel state one by one until he reaches France, then we will all suffer as much if not more than those poorer countries who see America, with all its wealth, handing out breadcrumbs to them with one hand and bombing them to pieces with the other.

I suggest you do a little comparison of the places where wars have been fought by western powers and the wealth there to the poverty stricken countries where western powers have not fought wars, or have not fought in many, many years. Interesting how most of the poorest countries in the world haven't bee "bombed to pieces" by anybody.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    iran is going to be helped build democracy...don't make me fucking laugh pot. the israelis have just asked if they can put fighter planes in turkey so they can attack iran. with american backing they will do. this is your dumbass idea of helping iran then? who the fuck do you and the israelis think you are to go bombing someone elses eforts of moving into the 21st century? watch this space. IRAN WILL BE ATTACKED SOON. to help them of course.
    as for few cells. it's all hot air bullshit speak. sound bites that will be forgotten.

I'm starting to be really worried that the war on Iraq will be used to test the international community's resolve against wars elsewhere. If the US/UK go to war without full UN approval and yet convince some that they did the right thing, all supported by rumours and half-truths about the apparent danger Saddam posed, then Bush and Poodle Blair will be encouraged to continue their campaign using the same tactics.
    If some people are convinced that Saddam is a ticking bomb armed to the teeth with all sorts of WMDs just because their Almighty President / Prime Minister tell them so, then Bush and Blair will be tempted to employ the same tactics again wherever appropriate.

We don't like Iran's rulers? No problem, tell the world the CIA has evidence of Iran's WMDs programme and bombs will be raining down in no time. North Koreans pissing us off by their outrageous attempt to arm themselves with nuclear weapons? A few cries of "they are the biggest danger to peace" and the B52s will be on their way. Yemen a bit too friendly to terrorists? Just mention 911 a few times and the cruise missiles will be flying in the night to hit their targets with absolute pinpoint accuracy (or not, as it is often the case).

Blair was being heckled about the war on Iraq by his own MPs yesterday until the man exploded. When one MP shouted "So who will be next?" Blair looked back and, with a smug smile that said 'fuck you' all over, replied "North Korea". I kid you not.

Emperor Bush and his poodle are growing cockier by the day. I wonder how many more countries in the Middle East or Asia will be "liberated" in the next 3 years.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I'm starting to be really worried that the war on Iraq will be used to test the international community's resolve against wars elsewhere.

You mean like across the African continent? Or maybe in Asia?

Or is it only their resolve against wars that the United States is involved in that is being tested?

Do a bit of research and see how many wars are being waged right now. What about the international community's resolve against them?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Interesting how most of the poorest countries in the world haven't bee "bombed to pieces" by anybody.

But they are about to be...if Bush gets his way...which is my point...DOH!! :rolleyes:
  • Options

But they are about to be...if Bush gets his way...which is my point...DOH!! :rolleyes:

No, they aren't. Do the research.
  • Options
    Post the research and put your money where your mouth is Greeny. Youre consistent in never backing up any rebuttal you make with concurring third party references. Not surprisng since you obvious subscribe to the GW Bush School of Allegation = Fact. lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Post the research and put your money where your mouth is Greeny. Youre consistent in never backing up any rebuttal you make with concurring third party references. Not surprisng since you obvious subscribe to the GW Bush School of Allegation = Fact. lol.

What's wrong, C. You can't look up something as simple as what the poorest nations in the world are?

Btw, you do realize that not all resources are on the internet? Serious history is generally not on the 'net for example.
  • Options
    Bush was very honest after 911 and you are about to witness the next phase of the war on terrorism . Countries that enable terrorists to thrive or upset a vital area of the world, like the Middle East, aren't going to be around. The UN is such a mess, if the US EVER listened to that cesspool, that would put us in so much danger.

Russia, France and Germany are going to pay for thekeeping Saddam in power and betting that the United States would be pushed around by the EU or anyone else. Don't take my word for it, you'll see in another month.