Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hamas elects Sharon.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Over the last few months, I've seen the affect Hamas has had to turn a coalition government in Israel more to the right and get Labor's influence out of the government. Through its actions, Hamas has ensured Sharon's win...which is excatly what it wants. The economy in the area is a mess and they don't want a Palestinian state next to Israel. They want to destroy the Jewish state and must feel they're doing their best to do that. And who could blame the people of Israel for voting for their security? It's a mess and a shame. If the money from Iraq is stopped, maybe there's a chance at a Palestine that respects Israel's right to exist.

Comments

• Options
    Its very convenient to blame those with no vote in the election for its outcome. The Israeli voters have only themselves to blame for the leader they elect and the conditions he plunges his nation into, excuses wont change that pnj.
  • Options
    Actually, my focus was that Hamas got what it wanted. I really do think they want Sharon in power because he'll keep the fight going and that's what they want.
  • Options
    Obvioulsy its what the Israeli's want as well. How very sad for them.
  • Options
    Yup, I think they do. Maybe after Iraq is gone, things will calm down and real peace can be in place with a peaceful Palestine and Israel. That region could beomce so wealthy if the violence would stop. Beyond tourist dollars, it's strategically located between east and west.
  • Options
    Dont count on it. If we invade Iraq (or I should when) the hatred of the US Gov and its Sharon puppet will only increase.
  • Options
    Sharon got voted in democraticaly, something the palestinian terror scum know sod all about.
  • Options
    So did Hitler.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    So did Hitler.

Yep, so we can blame the German people for Hitler. They elected him, they put up with him, they supported him. And until he broke agreements of the Versailles Treaty, no other nation had any business interfering. Unfortunately, he broke that agreement fairly quickly, which gave Europe perfectly good reason to be involved long prior to 1939. But, with Neville Chamberlain leading the way, it was appeased and ignored until the world was at war.

As for comparisons of Sharon to Hitler, can someone point out to me anything that shows that Israel has broken a treaty they signed? How about invading other countries? Genocide?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Unfortunately, he broke that agreement fairly quickly, which gave Europe perfectly good reason to be involved long prior to 1939. But, with Neville Chamberlain leading the way, it was appeased and ignored until the world was at war.

Do I hear a "second" to the nomination of the clandestine-collaborator for the Neville Chamberlain of the Year Award? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

As for comparisons of Sharon to Hitler, can someone point out to me anything that shows that Israel has broken a treaty they signed? How about invading other countries? Genocide?

What the comparison illustrates (and you conveniently choose to ignore) is that a murderer is a murderer regardless of whether he was democratically elected or got there by force, Royal decree, coup or any other way.

Or are you and Dinky suggesting that the crimes committed by an elected Prime Minister are any less serious than those committed by a dictator?
  • Options
    Turn on the news Greeny, oull see Israel committing genocide on an almost daily basis while they build a nice containment wall (ala Prison Camp) around the Palestinian terrirtories.

Thats if Shabrah and Shatillah arent enough of a genocide for you.

Not that anything would open your eyes to the truth. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Thats if Shabrah and Shatillah arent enough of a genocide for you

Sharon did not kill the people in those camps and well you know it, still truth has never been something people like you are bothered with.
    Turn on the news Greeny, oull see Israel committing genocide on an almost daily basis while they build a nice containment wall (ala Prison Camp) around the Palestinian terrirtories.

They are not committing genocide :rolleyes:

Replace the word territories with terrorists and you'd have a more accurate quote.

DinkyDau
  • Options
    Sorry to compare the two again (it just happens so naturally) but Hitler didn't kill any Jews either- but as a supreme commander he allowed it to happen, which makes him in the eyes of the world a murderer of 6m people.

Oh yes, and those people in the Occupied Territories are all terrorists. In fact, Palestinian babies are born with an AK-47 in their hands and 4 year old girls can successfully assemble and fire a shoulder-launched propelled grenade in less than 30 seconds.
  • Options
    Sadly, extremists are running both people's lives with Hamas on one side and Labor's rejection of being part of Sharon's government. And Hamas must be dancing because they influenced the election outcome. And I'm sure in Israel people must be wondering if there is a democratic Palestine....will it have Hamas running through it...setting off bombs? If you would Sharon, would you let down your guard? If you were a Palestinian, would you have hope of a peaceful solution?

Will a democratic Iraq make a difference? Or will terrorist funds come from some place else?

Do the people posting on the Site know anyone who is Jewish or Arab? Doesn't sound like it. People are all different. They don't all think in one way. Fear or hopeless could lead to extemism where a people act a certain way. I don't believe it's natural for people to hate. In fact, I think hatred is difficult to sustain.
  • Options
    Which part of " The Phalangist militia did the killing " don't you understand ? or is it simply that you just can't grasp the concept of "truth" ?

Why is it you anti Jews always try and compare Sharon with Hitler ?

Why is it you anti Jews always ignore the killing of thousands of palestinians by other ARAB countries ? Oh how silly of me that doesn't fit in with your version does it.

DinkyDau
  • Options
    Which part of "Sharon gave orders to his troops, who where blocking all entrances to the camps, to let the militias in with full knowledge of what they were about to do" don't YOU understand?

Why is it that anyone who dares to comment that the Israeli government or his Prime Minister might be guilty of killings and human right abuses is accused of being anti-Jews? Are the tens of thousands of Jews, including Holocaust survivors, who have criticized the Israeli government and Armed Forces also anti-Semites?

The victims of the Holocaust will no doubt turning in their graves in utter revolt at the sight of so many Sharon apologists using their deaths at the hands of a tyrant as an excuse to justify the actions of another tyrant.
  • Options
    For the same reason, Aladdin, that these simpletons (who comprehend only what they can shoot at through a rifle sight) say that criticizing the Bush administration is "Anti-American". They are brainwashed little lackies with no appreciation for the values of dissent enshrined in the US constitution which they claim to uphold. All the more reason why they and their political taskmasters must spin situtions out of all proportion to the truth and confuse issues with rhetorical tags like "terrorist" which can be appended to anything they dont personally like or cannot keep under their boot heels.

Surprising that criticizing Bush is Anti-American, but these types were probably slagging off Clinton during his entire 8 years in office whilst considering themselves "Patriots". lol

Hypocrisy is the calling card of the right-wing.
  • Options
    I only because aware of the world in 2000.
    Imagine my surprise.:eek:
  • Options
    Youve got a lifetime to see the hypocrisy for youself. I too was enamoured with the right at your age (even voting for Reagan in 84 when I was newly eligible to vote).

Over the years Ive come to realise how corrupt the right is and how often they themselves lie (however convincingly) to the American public while worsening the global situation with their manipulative power-mongering.

I can be hope that youll be able to differentiate the right-wing propaganda from the truth in years to come.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    I can be hope that youll be able to differentiate the right-wing propaganda from the truth in years to come.

Personally I hope he can sort through all propaganda. Not just that from the right wing...

;)
  • Options
    Youve got a lifetime to see the hypocrisy for youself. I too was enamoured with the right at your age (even voting for Reagan in 84 when I was newly eligible to vote).

Still a young'n, I see....
  • Options
    How I wish! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sharon won't form a coalition government made of conservative Jews who are extreme in their views and won't work with America's peace efforts regarding a peaceful Palestinian state.

That's all I need to hear. :)
  • Options
    And this pleases you? So I suppose you prefer endless conflict then? :eek2:
  • Options
    The US is pushing for an independent Palestinian state in 2005. And Sharon said he doesn't want to form a coalition government with any group that will stand in the way of the US plans for peace.

This is happy news.
  • Options
    And if you think Bush is capable of making Peace then dream on. He's about to make any future peace in the Middle East highly improbable if not downright impossible.

Keep up the naivete pnj, its so refreshing. Reminds me of me at your age.
  • Options

Keep up the naivete pnj, its so refreshing. Reminds me of me at your age.

Since then it's only gone downhill for you, huh?
  • Options
    No, actually, being able to see through the lies and propaganda of the right who equate "patriotism" with unquestioning mindless adherence to their militant vision of the world is as far uphill as one could wish to be, thank you very much! :D
  • Options
    I have just discovered the furore a cartoon of Sharon in the Independent has caused. Since we've have just been discussing here the issue of being anti-Israeli government vs. being anti-Jewish I thought I'd post a link to the story.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=374143

So what do people think of the cartoon? Is it anti-Semitic to criticise the Prime Minister of Israel, as some claim?
  • Options
    Of course it isn't.

But just as Labour uses "racist" claims when people object to assylum or "homophobe" when people dare to criticise someone who happens to be gay, so Israel uses anti-semite claims to deflect critics.

Sometimes the mud sticks...