Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sink the Greenpeace boat.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
GREENPEACE BLOCKS PORT

International pressure group Greenpeace has stepped up its campaign against war with Iraq by blocking a major UK military port.

Greenpeace's flagship Rainbow Warrior dropped anchor at Marchwood, Southampton on Monday.

They could endanger the lives of soldiers by delaying deployment.
Reminder, Al Qaeda came up to the Cole in Yemen, saluted and acted friendly to the US Servicemen before they murdered them with a homicide bomb. By allowing Green Peace their freedom of expression, they endangered the British troops...they could have been terrorists dressed like Green Peace.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Sink the Greenpeace boat.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    GREENPEACE BLOCKS PORT

they could have been terrorists dressed like Green Peace.
    for once pot i agree with you. from past experience that you quote and the present circumstances we are living in, that boat should not have been alowed anywhere near.
  • Options
    :cool:
  • Options
    GREENPEACE BLOCKS PORT

International pressure group Greenpeace has stepped up its campaign against war with Iraq by blocking a major UK military port.

Greenpeace's flagship Rainbow Warrior dropped anchor at Marchwood, Southampton on Monday.

Reminder, Al Qaeda came up to the Cole in Yemen, saluted and acted friendly to the US Servicemen before they murdered them with a homicide bomb. By allowing Green Peace their freedom of expression, they endangered the British troops...they could have been terrorists dressed like Green Peace.
    Point 1: Greenpeace's point of view:
    They have the right to express their views in their own way. They are not directly endangering lives, and killing innocent civilians is pointless anyway.
    Point 2: The MOD's point of view:
    Blowing up the Greenpeace ship would be exceedingly bad press, and would cause large amounts of trouble from the public. Exactly what happened when the French police blew up a Greenpeace ship in the Channel.
    Point 3: My point of view:
    Why kill people who have done no wrong? Also, the war with Iraq has nothing to do with Al Qaeda, it's just the press mixing the issues and confusing everyone, therefore your reasoning is faulted. Anyway, the ships being deployed weren't on their way to a war with Iraq, they were on their way to 'war games' (according to the MOD). If the MOD want to complain that the Greenpeace ship is endangering lives, then they should admit that the ship is on it's way to a possible war, not just some practice.
  • Options
    I just think they should make an example of Green Peace by taking their boat and blowing it up. To let just anyone approach military ships is crazy.
  • Options
    I just think they should make an example of Green Peace by taking their boat and blowing it up. To let just anyone approach military ships is crazy.
    OMG!!! So anyone who does anything even remotly dangerous should just be killed? Next time there's a protest outside the houses of parlement, a couple of tonnes of napalm should be set off? Greenpeace were not being threatening, so why respond with violence?
  • Options
    blahaaaaaaaaaa. Sink the boat without the people on it. haaaa.

All I'm saying that the government should make sure the area around military boats is secure. Or what happened to the USS Cole could happen in the UK.
  • Options
    pissinthepot hasn't suggested killing anyone! if they had been terrorists in disguise and they had caused death and mayhem you'd probably all be kicking off in here about how lax security was, how they've learned nothing, how anybody in a boat could float up to a war ship[ and sink the fucking thing., i'm just not in the mood goodnight.
  • Options
    That's not Greenpeace's problem but the relevant authorities.

And I think a fine and a serious warning would be enough eh? Although I admit people like Greenpeace keep bringing up subjects such as CO2 emissions, Bush's intention of drilling for oil in Alaska, nuclear power and other issues that just stand in the way of every businessman's right to make as much money as possible without a care for the environment.

Who do these hippies think they are anyway? Yeah, let's blow their boat up- it wouldn't be the first time.
  • Options
    GREENPEACE BLOCKS PORT

OH big YAWN!!!

I am a member of Greanpeace and I agree with their stand and thank them for all they have done in the past to highlight ecological disasters in the world.
  • Options
    I think blockading a military port is just a rather silly idea. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that the ship was boarded by marines and the activists arrested for obstructing a shipping lane.
    There are other ways of doing things, stopping people from doing their job isn't the right way to go about it.
  • Options
    Green Peace seems to be off its purpose. If it becomes an anti-conservative government organization, it will become less effective. And MR's post was dead on right.
  • Options
    EH!!
    When did they become and anti-Conservative organisation - or in any way affiliated with Labour?

I think they are fighting for causes not for parties!!!
  • Options
    I have never been a fan of Greenpeace because of their elitist atitude. Although they have got tens of thousands of members they wont involve their members in acts of direct action! I support them though on this action although it would have been much better if they had organised a mass blockade of a military porty involving thousands of people!

I dont think that stopping people doing their jobs is wrong if their job is to do with war and the coming mass bombing of the Iraqi people!
  • Options
    blahaaaaaaaaaa. Sink the boat without the people on it. haaaa.

All I'm saying that the government should make sure the area around military boats is secure. Or what happened to the USS Cole could happen in the UK.
    Why sink the boat? If it is necessary to get them out of the way, just arrest them and tow away the boat. Violence is not necessary. Although I don't actually think what they were doing is illegal anyway...
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if they had been terrorists in disguise and they had caused death and mayhem you'd probably all be kicking off in here about how lax security was, how they've learned nothing, how anybody in a boat could float up to a war ship[ and sink the fucking thing.
    The point is that they're not, they had no intention of attacking the ship. It was clear that the ship was a Greenpeace ship, and not a terrorist threat.
    Agree with Hornblower, byny...
  • Options
    Actually when you think about it, I'm questioning more why the ship wasn't protected. For instance, in the US you can decide to fly a private plane over the White House. I think they need new rules about coming too close to a military ship. Also, what's to stop someone from slipping a bomb into a supply that goes onto a ship? And GreenPeace doesn't screen its members. You're assuming they're just all about protecting the environment. If they've gotten into the anti-war business, who know who they'll attract.
  • Options
    And in the UK the only thing stopping you driving a tank up to Buckingham Palace is that the tracks would damage the tarmack... Change the tracks, and there's nothing they can do...
    As Hornblower said, whilst Greenpeace don't screen their members, very few people are allowed to be activly involved in their activities. The problem with rules about coming too close to a military ship is that ships can drift, outside teratorial (sp?) waters there can be no laws governing where ships are allowed to go, and even in the teratorial waters there is no organisation designed to control where ships are allowed to go, like there is for planes (air traffic control).
    I would assume that the supplies are monitored en route from the supplier to the ship to ensure that no one gets a chance to slip a bomb in.
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying. And Green Peace has been very brave in protecting the environment.

It's just a scary time. They picked up 4 more people they think are connected to the London cell that had ricin...and the one member had come from Iraq. He had been treated in Baghdad.
  • Options
    It's just a scary time. They picked up 4 more people they think are connected to the London cell that had ricin...and the one member had come from Iraq. He had been treated in Baghdad.
    Just because he recieved medical treatment in Bagdad doesn't mean that Iraq has links to terrorist groups! The September 11th hijackers were living in America for years and trained in Germany but that doesn't mean America or Germany has links to terrorist groups.

America by the way has sponsored terrorism in latin America in the 1980s when it trained, armed and funded the Contras in Nicaragua and right wing militias in El Salavador and Guatamala!
  • Options
    From today's Sky News:

GREENPEACE IN COURT BAN

A High Court judge has extended an injunction to the Ministry of Defence banning anti-war protesters from boarding or attaching themselves to British military supply ships.

glad to see this. They should be protecting the lives of the military.
  • Options
    I think you will find that the lives of the military that you wish to protect will be safer stuck in port then they will be in Iraq..............:rolleyes:
  • Options
    No TB not to protect them from Green Peace, what if a suicide bomber used boats to hit the military like they did the Cole in Yemen. In the US, just any boat can't come up to a military boat even in US waters.
  • Options
    Its a Greenpeace boat and they know it..........