Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lock up Asylum seekers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The Tories are proposing to lock up asylum seekers until they are cleared. Of course at first it's a horrible thought. Until we remember that one was tracked from Afghanistan, to Baghdad, to an Al Qaeda training camp to London with ricin.

As televised in the US, the House of Common's committee on liaison showed an interchange with Tony Blair and a memeber of Parliment who said basically don't wait for the passage of new laws to keep the country safe.

On the other side, in protecting our counties are we destroying what makes them so special?

Comments

• Options
    there's always extreme groups like the torries in every country. Lot's of people in America feel Bush is like that. But then like a commentator said on t.v., one more successful terrorist act in America and everyone will be on Bush's side.
  • Options
    Then im sure Bush has his NSA boys working diligently on how best to pull off something drastic without leaving any incriminating trail back to the White House! ;)
  • Options
    You make me think Clandestine. (Although I do feel it's my job on The Site to take the pro-American side. I mean, who'd y'all fight with?):p
  • Options
    obviously you didnt bother reading the editorial i posted earlier. I would advise you to keep a check on the insinuation that I dont love my country.

"Pro-Bush" isnt the end all and be all of "pro-American". Unless youre totally deluded and propagandized by the right wing like some of our resident countrymen.
  • Options
    Our prisons and detentions are full enough as it is. I say deport them to a safer more neutral country.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Then im sure Bush has his NSA boys working diligently on how best to pull off something drastic without leaving any incriminating trail back to the White House! ;)

Why would he use NSA? :P
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Our prisons and detentions are full enough as it is. I say deport them to a safer more neutral country.

1) Like where?
    2) How do we persuade this country to take them?
    3) They don't *want* to be elsewhere, they want to be in the UK. Will this not just raise illegal immigration, hence increasing the numbers of unchecked, and unmonitored people in the country?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

1) Like where?
    2) How do we persuade this country to take them?
    3) They don't *want* to be elsewhere, they want to be in the UK. Will this not just raise illegal immigration, hence increasing the numbers of unchecked, and unmonitored people in the country?

I don't REALLY know the answers to these, which is shitty I admit. However about the second one I think we could tell whichever counrty is willing to take them that they're going to work their butt off to earn their keep etc. I know this will probably raise illegal immigration. I know this is going to sound incredibly bigoted but I am sick of hearing about illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. Alot of them are taking advantage of the fact that Tony Blair is a big cock who cares more about other countries than his own which is suffering the same amount of problems as them. God I hate our Prime Minister. What has he done?
  • Options
    Why not just not let so many in in the first place hmm? Britain is not a natural "first safe country". We should have relatively few people arriving here seeking asylum, and yet we get loads. I guess they must know our laws are a soft touch.

Be better if we gave precedence to our own homeless people before foreigners, really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist

Be better if we gave precedence to our own homeless people before foreigners, really.

PRECISELY! That's what I've been saying about this all along. We should be cleaning up our streets, sorting out the nasty drug abusers, not to mention the train services before letting in millions of needy arabs and asians :mad:
  • Options
    Re: Lock up Asylum seekers?
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The Tories are proposing to lock up asylum seekers until they are cleared. Of course at first it's a horrible thought. Until we remember that one was tracked from Afghanistan, to Baghdad, to an Al Qaeda training camp to London with ricin.

It's not a horrible thought at all. I don't think we sould be letting them in in the first place, but sicne we already are, I'm sure they can cope with a few months in a detention centre, considering what they've come from.
  • Options
    However about the second one I think we could tell whichever counrty is willing to take them that they're going to work their butt off to earn their keep etc.

If they will wok their butts off, why don't we want them? After all, they can postively contribute to the economy, can't they? And if they're employed, then their taxes are contributing to your life as a student. Have you earned money? Have you made a contribution yet?
    I know this will probably raise illegal immigration. I know this is going to sound incredibly bigoted but I am sick of hearing about illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. Alot of them are taking advantage of the fact that Tony Blair is a big cock who cares more about other countries than his own which is suffering the same amount of problems as them. God I hate our Prime Minister. What has he done?

Actually, there are not that many immigrants who are really and truthfully bogus asylum seekers. Despite what the tabloid media would have you believe, we're not being overrun by populations of immigrants from here, there and everywhere.

And compared to these countries, we suffer nothing! Do you not realise how fortunate you are? It is only by sheer luck that you are who and where you are: imagine if you'd been born in a country that is a source of asylum seekers; how would you feel then?

Furthermore, let me ask you what you know of the Schengen Agreement? Heard it, even?

What about the historical basis, when this country so needed labour that we encouraged immigration from the Commonwealth, and began a process of helping people to move over here; paying them to do so, even? Do you appreciate the legacy that leaves?

Let me ask you this: estimate for me the percentage of ethnic minority in this country.

And what makes them any more worthy? I accept that we need to help our own, but what makes them so worthy? Why? Because they're British?
    PRECISELY! That's what I've been saying about this all along. We should be cleaning up our streets, sorting out the nasty drug abusers, not to mention the train services before letting in millions of needy arabs and asians

Not, of course, that you wish to stereotype.

Many immigrants are, and will be, from Eastern European countries. White.

Please do not take my comments personally. However, I regard them as offensive, discriminatory, stereotyped, and based on a poor grasp of a situation poorly understood, and further hindered by tabloid-style frenzied reporting on the 'scourge of immigrants'.

Were you to return to this post, perhaps it might be a good idea to actually read some informed material first.
  • Options
    DJP, it could be the NSA or the CIA or any of the sub depts under those umbrella acronyms. My guess would be the NSA since the NSA was originally founded solely by executive order of Truman and to this day remains an agency unfettered by any statutory basis unlike the CIA. The NSA is also considerably larger, more technologically advanced, and more secretive than the CIA.

Its basically the President's own agency, answerable only to whomever holds the office and to the Sec. of Defence (the NSA Director according to its charter must be a military officer).

As the agency responsible for monitoring and controlling communications and information, it would certainly have a role in ensuring that no investigations could lead back to Washington and that the right spin was broadcast to the general public.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

And what makes them any more worthy? I accept that we need to help our own, but what makes them so worthy? Why? Because they're British?

No, because they are already here. I think it would make more sense to deal with our own internal problems before we import more.
  • Options
    No, because they are already here. I think it would make more sense to deal with our own internal problems before we import more.

What if we can't actually solve all our internal problems, because of human nature? Or because of physicalities of the world? Or even because of the economic landscape we've inherited?

What then?

Do we close our borders, retract in to a cocoon and refuse to acknowledge the humanitarian responsibility that we have as an MEDC?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

Do we close our borders, retract in to a cocoon and refuse to acknowledge the humanitarian responsibility that we have as an MEDC?

Possibly. I'm interested to know if, as a homeless British citizen, you could get the same things that a successful asylum applicant could get.

I'd love to see everyone all happy, but the UK is a small country, with already overburdened resources. I doubt it can happen.
  • Options

I agree with this post 100%
  • Options
    The reaction of some posters here to the tune of "I'm sick to death of hearing about asylum seekers" or "they all seem to come here to take advantage" is exactly what the ultra right wing tabloid press wants all along. And in a way I cannot blame people for thinking that way. Any readers of the Daily Hatemail, S*n and SExpress might genuinely be under the impression that there are 250,000 'bogus' asylum seekers entering the country every year who are given a 7-bedroom manor house in Surrey, a Ferrary, a stock portfolio and £200,000 in cash to welcome them in.

Whilst the immigration situation is not perfect by any means, it is not nearly as bad as the Daily Mosley & co. would have us believe. Here are some myth busters
  • Options
    Is there a rise in anti-immigration feelings in the UK due to the riots in some of the Northern cities a bit ago and now with Al Qaeda?

There's some of that in the US after 911. We also have people coming across our borders to use our Hospitals and people resent that too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP

Please do not take my comments personally. However, I regard them as offensive, discriminatory, stereotyped, and based on a poor grasp of a situation poorly understood, and further hindered by tabloid-style frenzied reporting on the 'scourge of immigrants'.

Were you to return to this post, perhaps it might be a good idea to actually read some informed material first.

Okay. I know I'm incredibly misinformed compared by your standards, and my views are contraversial and everything, but there's no need to bite my head off and make me look like a right wing fat cat because I'm not. These are just my views as an ordinary layperson. Sorry but we can't all be strict, grammatically correct daily current events reading individuals like you. I was asked for an opinion, I gave it. Never said it was brilliant, or correct. However I know lots of people who feel the exact same way as me.
  • Options
    Re: Lock up Asylum seekers?
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

As televised in the US, the House of Common's committee on liaison showed an interchange with Tony Blair and a memeber of Parliment who said basically don't wait for the passage of new laws to keep the country safe.

On the other side, in protecting our counties are we destroying what makes them so special?

Well...are you assuming then that all asylum sekers are in some way connected to terrorism?
    We can't lock all asylum seekers up just because one in 100 hare linked to terrorism, that would be like locking me up because my brother stole something once.

Refugees, in most cases come through hell to get to the safety of a country like Britain..when they get here they are rarely given adequate support, no-one helps them withthe language, they don't always get cthe counselling they need.

It is so easy for those of ys who have never lived through persecution to dismiss these unfortunate people...but it is wrong.

I am sure there a re lots of people who come into this country with all the right papers, completely legally and yet they are up to no good and are as much a threat to security. We need to deal with the issue of terrorism sensibly, not by freaking out and dealing with people according to their race, colour or creed.
  • Options
    like that byny.:)