Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Character?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The boards have different people on them. Some post most places, some stay in the sex forum, some stay here.

I think that people with character; those who you could identify from what they write; the people you respect and listen to or disagree with and villify, are only to be found here.

Is it me, or are the boards in general bland? There seems to be a lack of characters, and a proliferation of threads on little, or people who could well be mixed up with one another, despite having umpteen million posts.

And there's not a scrap of disagreement, common sense or pedantry anywhere else.

Comments?

Comments

• Options
    Did you mention how self-centered many of the posts are? At least we here deal with the bigger issues and philosophies. Not to mention we solve the world's problems at least once a day here.

Sometimes I imagine that my post is like dropping a fishing line with bait on it into the bay. I can just picture who the bait will attact as if they are a certain kind of fish.

:D
  • Options
    I reckon the politics forum is the high brow forum. No offence to anybody who posts in anything goes but you seldom get many intellectual topics there.
  • Options
    You're right...I came on here for the politics but I tend to do a lot of reading and no replying because I've ended up in some heated slanging matches and I didn't enjoy it.

The sex and drugs forums seem to be for kids who think that sex and drugs are 'naughty'.

The relationship forum is OK...although its full of kids aged 15 saying 'I am so totally in love' and 'my whole life revolves around my relationship'

The worst thing about this place is that there are so many kids blatantly posting lies to get some kind of (Imagines) cred...and I wouldn't be surprised if we've had a few pretend pregnancies/abortions/suicides on this place either.
  • Options
    I enjoy reading the Politics forum, but rarely post anything.

I find some interesting people that post in other areas, too, though.
  • Options
    The anything goes forum turned to shit when that other board came over..I dont post in there at all now.

The rest of the forums are just filled with juvenile trolling and made up rubbish, as byny said.

The politics forum > all the others combined.

I dont really have much time for those not interested in politics or world affairs.
  • Options
    I'll have to say that I'd much rather read what people from this forum have to say, than the "nice" ones from the other boards.

And I definitely agree in the fact that this is the forum which allows the posters to show most character.
    You get to notice peoples reaction pattern, and sense of humor. What ticks them off, and their defence methods.
    And generally their intelligence level, something which is quite hard to see through in an ordinary "Spaghetti vs. pasta" post in anything goes.
  • Options
    you can have a good debate in here without it going to slanging match. This forum is what affects our world (well not literally this forum but politics) Its just a shame really that alot of young people today are not at all intrested in politics. i dread to see the voting turn out in about 30 years (of course ill be prime minister;) )

*edited to say*
    Noticed how thered be not many topics if pnj wasnt around?:p
  • Options
    I often pop in the politics forum, but rarely post.

I see you all here as very well educated, have a brilliant way of writing posts, you seem to know how to put things across by using the right words.

A few of you know that I would never post in a real big debate here because you would wipe the floor with me :)

But I just wanted to let you know that I think you will have lots of invisible people here, who just look but dont post :)
  • Options
    The internet is escapism for some people, is it not?

In Anything Goes you get all the crap posted cos its where people go to have a laugh as it were. The Sex and Relationships forums are the advice forums, although theres hardly any advice being posted these days.

Compare those three to this one and there are gonna be some noticable differences arent there? You seen some of the threads in here! Its some serious shit. Maybe people dont wanna be reminded that theres some nutter with a load of weapons out there, who we may or may not be going to war with, constant terroist threats etc etc.
  • Options
    some people may think i'm a little out of my depth in here but, education isn't all. some people seem to have a lot of common sense educated out of them. eduaction is what i'm getting in here
    most of the time. from the extreme left to the extreme right and all the middle ground inbetween, gets covered by a fascinating group of people. you all make me think. you all have something to teach me. i hope i manage to contribute.
    people's predjudices and blind spots come out very clearly in here.
    i like young pissinthepot though he probably doubts that. at 16 he's a thinking caring individual, trying to make sense of the world around him. keep it up everyone.
  • Options
    I must say that this forum does tend to have alot more substance than alot of the others. It is quite unique, unlike relationships and sex which are like carbon copies of eachother, just 14 year olds whining about their 20 year old boyfriends parents and being single and not getting enough casual sex...trala.

The student forum is also cool, but for different reasons to this. I feel I can relate to people there.

It is a shame that it's always the same people on here and there's not that many on it but you have to admit that alot of touchy feely subjects get mentioned here. In almost every subject I've posted on in this forum I have got an almighty wrollicking.

I feel like Anything Goes is the common room, it's where everyone can chill (except maybe Aisha) and try to forget about their problems or the world's problems. Although I do think alot of unnecessary rubbish gets posted there too...
  • Options
    Doesn't anybody feel that the same issue is occasionally rehashed in here for rather a while?

Iraq is im portant but couldn't there just be two or three Iraq threads about two or three different sides/isues surroung? There seems to be loads and loads of very similar threads....

JUST CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM - I'm not out for a flaming.:cool:
  • Options
    I couldnt agree with you more Simbelyne
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    Doesn't anybody feel that the same issue is occasionally rehashed in here for rather a while?

Its true but the other forums are far worse...the sex/relationship forums are exactly the same things done over every single week...anything goes is just the same..

I guess theres only so many topics you can discuss on an internet forum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Its true but the other forums are far worse...the sex/relationship forums are exactly the same things done over every single week...anything goes is just the same..

Further to that, there are rights and wrongs on other boards, I guess. There is a correct way to do such and such, or a common response to problems with relationships; talking etc.

I don't think we've ever agreed on a point on here; never solved anything.

That, I think, makes a difference. We can keep topics going, because they can bring up new ideas each time. Look at the difference in Euro topics, as opposed to the similarity of let's say a "how do I?" in the sex forum.
  • Options

True, True :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Hi guys.

Yes, this is my first post, and it may not be an obvious thread to start off on (after all, what could I know about "The Site" posters?), but I actually know quite a bit about the regulars having read the threads here for quite some time (over a year, I would think). It would seem that I'm going in at the deep end - sue me.

I have to disagree with what most people have said on this topic. I find the posters in 'Politics' are the by far the most shallow of the regulars. I have found that without memorable exception, no-one here has ever taken a valid point, offered constructive advice or criticism, or admitted that they don't really understand what they are talking about.

I find that the people here are rarely ready to actually listen to another's point and will proceed to flame opposition or just restate their case.

May I state now that I do not consider calling people idiots, leftists, rightists, morons etcetera as a valid argument in intelligent debate.

When forming a reply, embellishing an argument by adding facts and circumstance will make you sound more intelligent than just posting more facts that you believe are true.

Many of you hold your beliefs too closely, and believe that if someone is objecting to your beliefs, they are objecting to you, this is not the case. It takes a lot to question your beliefs without questioning your identity, but it is liberating.

As to character? I would say there is less character on this part of The Site, and more ego, the difference can be lost in text. As for you guys wanting to raise the 'intellectual tone', then yes, the topics here are of a more widely impacting nature than who snogged whom last night at the party, but we elect officials to look after government so that we don't have to think about daily. I believe that a healthy interest in what affects us does matter, after all, 'politicians' are accountable to us, but we can't solve the world's problems, we don't have the answers, we elect people we believe in to do that.

In summary, I think the people here are very egocentric, and by forming certain groups, satisfy an inner self-belief, to the extent that a social 'norm' exists in this forum as any who put across a view opposing the views of others are 'flamed' and put down until submission.

As outlined above, I know you don't like to hear what I am saying, and that your gut instinct is to flame grill me until I hate myself. Go on, it'll only prove my point.

(Constructive argument awaited with intrigue)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dead Centre
    what a load of fucking horseshit! you did finish that off feeling that you would look inteligent yes? your small, aged 14, white middle england yes?
  • Options
    Hi guys.

Yes, this is my first post, and it may not be an obvious thread to start off on (after all, what could I know about "The Site" posters?), but I actually know quite a bit about the regulars having read the threads here for quite some time (over a year, I would think). It would seem that I'm going in at the deep end - sue me.

I have to disagree with what most people have said on this topic. I find the posters in 'Politics' are the by far the most shallow of the regulars. I have found that without memorable exception, no-one here has ever taken a valid point, offered constructive advice or criticism, or admitted that they don't really understand what they are talking about.

I find that the people here are rarely ready to actually listen to another's point and will proceed to flame opposition or just restate their case.

May I state now that I do not consider calling people idiots, leftists, rightists, morons etcetera as a valid argument in intelligent debate.

When forming a reply, embellishing an argument by adding facts and circumstance will make you sound more intelligent than just posting more facts that you believe are true.

Many of you hold your beliefs too closely, and believe that if someone is objecting to your beliefs, they are objecting to you, this is not the case. It takes a lot to question your beliefs without questioning your identity, but it is liberating.

As to character? I would say there is less character on this part of The Site, and more ego, the difference can be lost in text. As for you guys wanting to raise the 'intellectual tone', then yes, the topics here are of a more widely impacting nature than who snogged whom last night at the party, but we elect officials to look after government so that we don't have to think about daily. I believe that a healthy interest in what affects us does matter, after all, 'politicians' are accountable to us, but we can't solve the world's problems, we don't have the answers, we elect people we believe in to do that.

In summary, I think the people here are very egocentric, and by forming certain groups, satisfy an inner self-belief, to the extent that a social 'norm' exists in this forum as any who put across a view opposing the views of others are 'flamed' and put down until submission.

As outlined above, I know you don't like to hear what I am saying, and that your gut instinct is to flame grill me until I hate myself. Go on, it'll only prove my point.

I actually agree with you to some extent. I have been flamed alot on here, although that might partly be down to the way I phrased stuff. But not a very good post to start on mate..
  • Options
    Hi guys.

Hell, that's a way to start....

To some extent, I agree that people don't concede, or say they don't know anything. Part of that is the stubbornness of posters, part of that is because we've established that people who don't think they know anything tend to stay out, or alternatively, go away and find out about it. I think we're quite pro-active in that sense.

As to if that makes people shallow? I don't know. Never will you, for example, find a lawyer admit they're wrong, concede a point, and so on. Maybe it's just the same here? I do think that people offer constructive statements; certainly with recent posts with pnjsurferpoet, for example, he's been directed to other threads before he states a case.

Often, that's not really the case. Points are often made on a narrow focus of a poster's argument, and they restate the whole case to remind people of it. However, people rarely change sides, if that's what you mean by listening?

That, I do agree with.

Yes. And? Most people do this. They also cite sources, I think, particularly when validity of point is challenged...

There is a degree of this, you're quite correct, and it *is* difficult to do. It also takes principles to stand behind your beliefs in the face of criticism. Either way, I think you could argue what is 'best'.

Okay, let's deal with little bits of that at a time. For a start, I don't think it's ego. I mean, you can disagree if you like, but I'm sure that people here have sufficient self-respect to actually not need the non-existant ego massage that comes from debating a point on an internet board.

When I referred to character, perhaps that could be better phrased as "individuals"... the people here are not quite so similar to each other as on other boards: many of the Sex forum posters, for example, are similar, whereas there are not so many similarities between politics posters.

We do elect people, but fundamentally this country and so many others have a growing problem with apathy. People refused to participate in the political process, and furthermore, the attitude you exemplify 'we elect them, let them worry about it' is concerning. Most of our generation do not vote. We are politically apathetic. Decisions are made by those who show up: debating political issues at this level solves nothing, but increases, perhaps, public participation in the political process. I don't see any reason why we can't debate this: in fact, I'm encouraged that we can. We may not agree, we may not resolve anything, but we learn, we participate, and we exchange views.

If you wish to regard this as ego, you are of course welcome to do so. I would be surprised if it was.

My gut instinct is actually to agree with parts of what you say. I don't think people post out of ego: to me that seems absurd, but then I could be wrong. I find that reasoned debate is something I enjoy, and I don't do it to prolong an artificial social norm that you describe.

I don't think that you can fully appreciate debates with participation. I await your contributions with interest.
  • Options
    Interesting point Mr Centre but I think that you have dimissed us too easily. This isn't necessarily ego, as you claim, but becuase we are deling with people's opinions here. Politics reflects people's morals and to be honest I don't think you can get more personal than that.

Anyway, I think the reason that this forum is different to the others is the age group it attracts. There aren't many 14 year olds interested in politics - at that age sex, drink/drugs and having a good time are more important, And rightly so.

As we get older, politics holds a greater interest because we recognise the effect it has on our lives.

Oh, and the reason we don't conced very often is because we argue from a point of belief, based on experience. I'll admit now, publically, to having second thoughts on my stance on guns and that's partly a result of discussions here.

Just don't tell Thantos, okay :)

But generally, I hold a belief and it will take some serious evidence to change that.

Let me put it this way - if someone came on here telling yo that white was black and vice versa, you would argue with them. Why? Because it goes against everything you believe.

Question is, just becuase that is what we have learned in our lives, are we right?
  • Options
    :wave: Hello i have ventured into the politics forum from Anything Goes, Drugs, Relationships and Health. After reading DJP's thread in Anything Goes about the fantastic politics forum i thought i'd ive it a try, so what is this thread debating? (be gentle with me:))
    xxx
  • Options

So who are you then? You are obviously a member here already and registered that screen name for the sole intention of posting in this thread.

Perhaps you should grow a pair and post in your real name?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    so what is this thread debating? (be gentle with me:))

First step to becoming a poster in general, is to read the thread and then ask questions :p

Welcome :)
  • Options
    Thnx Jacqueline! So now i have read the thread (well most of it) I think that yes anything goes is mainly alot of crap and when you do post something of intelligence it gets ignored or few people reply, when i first joined (The Very Start of Sept 2002) although it wasnt that long ago there seemed to be more interesting posts. Sex i dont go into because quite frankly i dont want to posting in drugs is a rare occasion because i also dont really wnt to although i often post in the health forum (i self-harm) and get little response (with the exception on the Self-Harm/Depression thread started by DJP-Very Gd!) and i dont venture into here often because well....its too complicated! Everyone is debating such important issues it makes me feel stupid and i dont really want to express my opinions but anyway i am in agreement that this is the least shallow forum:)
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Oh, and the reason we don't conced very often is because we argue from a point of belief, based on experience. I'll admit now, publically, to having second thoughts on my stance on guns and that's partly a result of discussions here.

Just don't tell Thantos, okay :)

:eek:

Isn't that getting seriously close to "indecent exposure"?

:eek:

Something akin to "assault with a dead weapon"? :lol:

ROTFLMAO!

Have observed that the politics forum is the battlegound for "adults", and other forums are more the playground for the kidlets.

Take that as you will... :p
  • Options

So who are you then?

Someone with "most impressive" cajones, obviously... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    well i will say publicly that i am persuedable, especialy regarding the coming war. i totaly disagree with the war for the reasons being given for fighting it. i do think i understand the real reasons
    for this war and would back it to the hilt. the poloticians for some reason cannot or will not state the real reason. oil. not for the essos and totals and bp's of this world as regards money but, simply to protect the western worlds welln being. alqueda and osama especialy, are sworn to the wests downfall and possible destruction. osama is sworn to the downfall of the house of suad.
    if he achieved a popular uprising in saudi arabia and actualy destroyed the ruling royal and corrupt elite there, there would be little stopping him and lots of grass roots support for this amazing enemy of ours. if alqueda could cut the wests main oil suppliers he would cause us deep shit. we have to be there in control of the movement and secure supplies of oil for our world and the wider stability of smaller nations. if that oil is stopped were in deep shit which will send reverberations of unpleasantness around the globe. for those reasons of terrorism we have to fight. saddam is just the fall guy.
  • Options
    I read but rarely post. To be honest I have very little interest in politics....I’m at uni, as someone else said I want to drink, have sex and do drugs. My world is likely to be very self-centred for the next few years and most of the topics hold little interest for me. I do like debating but only on subjects that I understand and have some knowledge on…..I don’t want to debate about Iraq therefore I’m a little short of subjects on this board :)
  • Options

How many threads have you followed on this forum? Have you read any of the ones that stretch to more than two pages? I find I do learn a lot of stuff from debating here, mostly because I go off and research a subject so that I can back up argument with facts. I very rarely have to change my views because those views are pretty elementary, eg, military force will never erradicate terrorism, any more than the North Wind in that fable could make a man remove his coat. If I'm flamed, I flame back, sometimes with interest, but I respond to a reasoned argument in kind. True, since I've never had to return to this forum with a different screen-name, having been banned, I take a certain relish in identifying the new incarnations of one or two repeat offenders.. hey, sue me!